A math confusion in deriving the curl of magnetic field from Biot-Savart

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with deriving the curl of a magnetic field from the Biot-Savart law, specifically in the case of an arbitrary current density that extends to infinity. The question asks how to prove that the surface integral will be zero when the current density extends to infinity, and the answer explains that this is only true if the current density is zero on the surface. In the general case, the surface integral is the sum of contributions from each infinitesimal point on the surface, which will cancel out if the current density is zero on the surface. The conversation also mentions that this is the first time the individual has asked a question in English and expresses hope for a helpful response.
Brian Tsai
TL;DR Summary
Why the surface integral is 0 even the J itself extends to infinity (as in the case of an infinite straight wire).
I am recently reading "Introduction to Electrodynamics, Forth Edition, David J. Griffiths " and have a problem with the derive of the curl of a magnetic field from Biot-Savart law. The images of pages (p.232~p233) are in the following:

螢幕擷取畫面 2023-04-03 133932.png

螢幕擷取畫面 2023-04-03 134140.png

The second term in 5.55(page 233) is 0. I had known the reason in case of that the current density declined to 0 on the surface. My question is how to prove the surface integral will also be 0 when J extends to infinite(red block).

P.S. : This is my first time asking a question in English, and I had done my best to decrease the improper use of English. I sincerely hope that anyone who notices my post can answer my confusion and don't be mad at my terrible use in English

Likes weirdoguy
Physics news on Phys.org
. A:In the general case of an arbitrary current density J that extends to infinity, the surface integral in (1) will not be zero.In the special case of a current density that is zero on the surface, then the surface integral will be zero.In the general case, you can think of the surface integral as the sum of contributions from each infinitesimal point on the surface. The electric field due to each such point is given by the Biot-Savart law. If the current density vanishes on the surface, then the contributions from each infinitesimal point will cancel out, and the total electric field on the surface will be zero. This implies that the surface integral will be zero.

What is the Biot-Savart Law?

The Biot-Savart Law is a fundamental equation in electromagnetism that describes the magnetic field produced by a steady current in a conductor. It states that the magnetic field at a point is directly proportional to the current, the length of the conductor, and the sine of the angle between the current and the position vector of the point.

What is the curl of a vector field?

The curl of a vector field is a measure of the rotation or circulation of the field at a given point. It is a vector quantity that is perpendicular to the surface of the field and its magnitude represents the strength of the circulation.

How is the curl of the magnetic field derived from the Biot-Savart Law?

The curl of the magnetic field is derived by taking the cross product of the position vector with the Biot-Savart Law equation. This results in a vector equation that describes the direction and magnitude of the curl of the magnetic field at a given point.

Why is there confusion in deriving the curl of magnetic field from the Biot-Savart Law?

The confusion arises because the Biot-Savart Law equation is a scalar equation, but the curl is a vector quantity. This means that the cross product must be used to obtain a vector equation, which can be confusing for those who are not familiar with vector calculus.

What are some applications of the Biot-Savart Law and its curl?

The Biot-Savart Law and its curl have many practical applications in electromagnetism, such as in the design of electric motors, generators, and other devices that use magnetic fields. It is also used in the study of fluid dynamics and in understanding the behavior of plasma in fusion reactors.