Biot-Savart law and Ampere's law

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the Biot-Savart law and Ampere's law to determine the magnetic field around an infinitely long straight wire. While Ampere's law can provide an easier solution, it must assume an infinite length wire, while the Biot-Savart law can be integrated for a finite wire segment. The conversation also mentions how Maxwell fixed an incomplete version of Ampere's law by accounting for the transfer of charge between "charge reservoirs." Overall, the conversation highlights the complexities and limitations of using these laws to determine the magnetic field in different scenarios.
Nathanael
Homework Helper
If we integrate the magnetic field from the Biot-Savart law for an infinitely long straight wire, we can get ##|B|=\frac{\mu_0 i}{2\pi R}## with R being the shortest distance from the wire to the point in space.

If we use Ampere's law (with a circle of radius R centered on a wire with the normal of the circle parallel to the wire) then we can get the same relationship much more easily.

However, when we use Ampere's law we are not assuming anything about the length of the wire, it can be 1 cm as long as it goes through the circle.

But if we did not integrate the Biot-Savart law from -∞ to ∞ then we would not get this result. Yet Ampere's law implies that it's true for all wires regardless of length (with a restriction on the points in space for which it applies, of course).

What am I missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
Nathanael said:
However, when we use Ampere's law we are not assuming anything about the length of the wire,

Actually, when we apply Ampere's Law (alone) to a straight wire, we have to assume the wire is infinite in length (or at least "long enough" that it's "practically infinite") in both directions, in order to maintain the current. If the wire is only 1 cm long, what happens to the current at the ends of the wire?

Integrating the Biot-Savart law for a finite wire segment (i.e. not a closed loop, nor goes off to infinity at both ends) doesn't work, either.

By the way, you're in good company here. Maxwell had to overcome basically this problem in order to get a mathematically consistent set of equations for electrodynamics. :cool: The version of Ampere's Law that you're trying to use is incomplete. Look up (or recall, if you've studied this before) how Maxwell fixed Ampere's Law.

Last edited:
Likes Nathanael
jtbell said:
Actually, when we apply Ampere's Law (alone) to a straight wire, we have to assume the wire is infinite in length (or at least "long enough" that it's "practically infinite") in both directions, in order to maintain the current. If the wire is only 1 cm long, what happens to the current at the ends of the wire?
I just kind of vaguely imagined the current coming from and going in some kind of ambiguous 'charge reservoir.' I didn't think the details were important. (Hey, it worked for thermodynamics! :biggrin:)

jtbell said:
Integrating the Biot-Savart law for a finite wire segment (i.e. not a closed loop, nor goes off to infinity at both ends) doesn't work, either.
Just for the same reason as above? If you have more to say, I'm curious.

edit:
jtbell said:
The version of Ampere's Law that you're trying to use is incomplete. Look up (or recall, if you've studied this before) how Maxwell fixed Ampere's Law.
I haven't studied this yet but I will look it up.

Last edited:
I see (sort of):
If we had some kind of "charge reservoirs" then the transfer of charge between them would cause the electric field to vary in time which is unaccounted for in this form of ampere's law. I guess I will understand it better when I properly study electromagnetism. Thanks jtbell.

1. What is the Biot-Savart law?

The Biot-Savart law is a mathematical equation that describes the magnetic field produced by a steady current in a wire. It states that the magnetic field at a point is directly proportional to the current, the length of the wire, and the sine of the angle between the wire and the point.

2. What is the Ampere's law?

Ampere's law is a mathematical equation that relates the magnetic field around a closed loop to the electric current passing through that loop. It states that the integral of the magnetic field around a closed loop is equal to the permeability of free space times the current passing through the loop.

3. How are the Biot-Savart law and Ampere's law related?

The Biot-Savart law and Ampere's law are closely related as they both describe the relationship between electric current and the magnetic field it produces. Ampere's law can be derived from the Biot-Savart law by taking the limit of an infinitely small current element.

4. What are the applications of the Biot-Savart law and Ampere's law?

The Biot-Savart law and Ampere's law have many practical applications in physics and engineering. They are used to calculate the magnetic field of a current-carrying wire, solenoid, or other geometries. They are also used in designing electromagnets, motors, and generators.

5. What are the limitations of the Biot-Savart law and Ampere's law?

The Biot-Savart law and Ampere's law have some limitations in certain situations. They are only applicable to steady currents and do not take into account the effects of changing electric fields. They also assume that the magnetic field is produced by a thin wire and may not accurately describe more complex geometries.