by matthias31415
Tags: creation of space
Share this thread:
juanrga
Nov5-11, 01:48 PM
P: 476
Quote Quote by matthias31415 View Post
dear all,

I must admit, the wording "space is created" sounds to me rather unscientific (forgive me for being provocative). I know that, in general relativity, there are (more or less arbitrary) reference frames and distances within these reference frames. In terms of reference frames, distances and geometry: what does "creation of space" mean? Does it mean that a new reference frame is created? That wouldn't make much sense to me. Is it a synonym for "expansion", i.e. the fact that distances between stationary observes increase? In that case, I don't understand why people say that during the big bang, space was created alongside matter. This would imply that space was created only in the very beginning, while expansion still takes place...

can you help me?

-matthias
Creation of distance means that there is more distance between galaxies. In a very rough way, if at t1 the distance is S at t2 the distance is 2ĚS for instance.

Did you never hear of the balloon analogy?
phinds
Nov5-11, 02:18 PM
PF Gold
P: 6,118
Quote Quote by juanrga View Post
Creation of space means that there is more space between galaxies. In a very rough way, if at t1 the space is S at t2 the space is 2ĚS for instance.

Did you never hear of the balloon analogy?
I think your point would be better made if you replaced the bolded space with "distance", since that's what's actually the case. "Space" is not a helpful word in this regard.
juanrga
Nov5-11, 03:58 PM
P: 476
Quote Quote by phinds View Post
I think your point would be better made if you replaced the bolded space with "distance", since that's what's actually the case. "Space" is not a helpful word in this regard.
Thank you. made

Register to reply