What does it mean to say the Universe is the same everywhere?

• B
  • Thread starter bahamagreen
  • Start date
bahamagreen
PeroK said:
Established theories rarely fall apart...
Hope it's OK to add a question here. I think to pertains to the topic.
What did cosmologists mean by "looks the same from everywhere"? Were they adjusting and calculating to compare "distant local" to "nearby local"? Or were they comparing raw values?

There was a time when both expansion theories of Steady State and Big Bang were being considered and developed. SS proposed the creation of matter so that a constant density was expected, and BB that the density decreased through time.
I'm not sure when cosmologists began thinking of the universe as "looking the same from everywhere" on a large scale, but the Steady Stated added "looking the same from anytime".
For three co-moving objects initially equal distant forming an equilateral triangle, the triangle's points labeled A B and C where C is the observer looking at A and B:

- at all times A and B would retain a subtended 60 degree separation observed from C because their light paths are co-linear with the radial expansion
- imagine an early universe observation of the arc between A and B would see no objects positioned on the arc between A and B
- imagine a present observational test for additional objects between A and B. all co-moving Z=4:
BB - Big Bang predicts the same lack of objects along the 60 degree arc between A and B
SS - Steady State predicts additional objects along that arc from matter creation

My example is poor, but it seems that observations of far enough distance and comparison of the density of distant and local space might have settled between SS and BB long before the CBR. Observation of "locally less dense there than here " would favor BB, and "locally same density there as here" would favor SS.

Space news on Phys.org
bahamagreen said:
What did cosmologists mean by "looks the same from everywhere"?
That if you were to look at the universe from any spatial point anywhere in the universe at the same cosmological time, it would look the same. Obviously we have no way to directly test this.

bahamagreen said:
Were they adjusting and calculating to compare "distant local" to "nearby local"? Or were they comparing raw values?
I'm not sure what these mean, but I think the answer is "neither". As above, we have no way to directly test the cosmological principle. It is an assumption based on Occam's Razor.

Likes russ_watters
bahamagreen said:
My example is poor, but it seems that observations of far enough distance and comparison of the density of distant and local space might have settled between SS and BB long before the CBR. Observation of "locally less dense there than here " would favor BB, and "locally same density there as here" would favor SS.
Yes you are correct, the main difference between SS and BB is that in BB, when you consider the largest scales we can observe, you do not expect things to look the same "everywhen". You do expect that in SS, so a good way to distinguish them observationally is to look for evidence that something has been changing with time. In the Big Bang model, the main thing that has been changing with time is the energy density in the prevailing radiation field, and the associated temperature of the radiation that goes along with it. So in BB, if you look distances away that correspond to 13.7 billion years of time, you should see a much hotter and denser universe, whereas in SS, if you look there, you should see the same cool and low density conditions the radiation field has today.

The reason the BB model is heavily favored over SS is primarily because of two pretty clear lines of evidence that the temperature of the universe as a whole is falling with time. The first is the ratio of helium to hydrogen, which has a clear explanation in terms of a history of nucleosynthesis that happens when the universe starts out extremely hot and cools as it expands during its first few seconds. That naturally produces the ratio we see, for reasons you can google ("Big Bang nucleosynthesis"). But in SS, the ratio is just a parameter of the model, you magically produce new matter with just that ratio, it has no reason to be that way. The second crucial line of evidence is the cosmic background radiation, which currently has a 2.7 Kelvin temperature. That also emerges naturally in a model that starts out very hot and expands at a rate consistent with what we observe, but is a completely free parameter in a SS model. Why would these two numbers come out so logically if we imagine expansion, yet be uncontrolled free parameters in the actual situation?

We never know that our explanations are the correct ones, but we prefer having explanations over saying "that's just how it is," whenever we can. The explanation is what fuels future advancements, by giving us deeper aspects of the model to test. That testing will no doubt continue, and someday something new will be learned that will completely shock scientists, such is the way. But in the meantime, we will always go with the theory that is as explanatory as possible, and as simple as possible.

There is also other evidence that favors the BB over the SS model. Imagine placing our observations in a 3D space where farther objects from us are seen further back in time. That is a useful way to picture the complete story of what we can actually see, rather than imagining a full 3D rendition of how things are "now", and a different 3D version of "a billion years ago", etc., which is nothing we could ever observe so it requires filling in a lot of blanks. In the SS model, there would be no differences with distances on the largest scales, the things we see 10 billion years ago and 13 billion years ago would look the same. But in the BB, we should see clear differences; the farther away (and longer ago) things we see should show signature differences that expose the temporal evolution of the universe.

We do indeed see evidence of temporal evolution, because the galaxies we see farther away look different in telltale ways ("galaxy evolution"), and the large scale structure of voids and filaments also looks different (as though gravity were shaping it over time in ways that make sense in the BB picture). We also see some surprises, the most recent one being that galaxies seemed to have formed surprisingly quickly, but it is still not clear if that is a challenge to the model itself or just to the way we are interpreting the observations. I would not be surprised if something pretty fundamental is still out of whack in our models, and it will be fascinating once we have fixed the problem. It could take years, or centuries, the hardest thing to predict is the future, and that goes for the future of science too.

Ken G said:
the hardest thing to predict is the future
Right. As Yogi Berra is reputed to have said, "It's hard to predict the future, especially when it's about stuff that hasn't happened yet" :smile:

• Haha
Likes diogenesNY, pinball1970 and Ken G
Though I suspect Yogi Berra never said half the things Yogi Berra said.

Likes diogenesNY
Ken G said:
"I never said half the things I said."
- Yogi Berra

• Haha
Likes PeroK, Ken G and phinds
Ken G said:
in BB, when you consider the largest scales we can observe, you do not expect things to look the same "everywhen".
Nice. I hadn't heard it expressed that way before but I like that more than the normal "changes over time".

Ken G said:
Yep, that does seem to be the case.

1. What is meant by the statement "the Universe is the same everywhere"?

The statement "the Universe is the same everywhere" refers to the idea that the laws of physics, as well as the distribution of matter and energy, are consistent throughout the entire observable Universe. This means that no matter where we look or what measurements we take, we will always find the same physical properties and processes.

2. How do we know that the Universe is the same everywhere?

Scientists have observed the Universe on a large scale through various methods, such as telescopes and satellites, and have found consistent patterns and behaviors in the laws of physics and the distribution of matter and energy. Additionally, the laws of physics have been extensively tested and have been found to hold true in all parts of the Universe.

3. What evidence supports the idea that the Universe is the same everywhere?

One of the main pieces of evidence for the uniformity of the Universe is the cosmic microwave background radiation, which is a remnant of the Big Bang and is found to be consistent throughout the Universe. Other evidence includes the redshift of distant galaxies, which indicates that they are moving away from us at a consistent rate, and the observation of the same fundamental particles and forces in all parts of the Universe.

4. Are there any exceptions to the idea that the Universe is the same everywhere?

While the Universe is generally considered to be uniform on a large scale, there are some exceptions. For example, there are variations in the distribution of matter and energy, such as the formation of galaxies and clusters, which can vary in different regions of the Universe. Additionally, there may be areas of the Universe that are not observable to us, so we cannot make any definite conclusions about their consistency with the rest of the Universe.

5. What implications does the idea of a uniform Universe have on our understanding of the cosmos?

The concept of a uniform Universe has significant implications for our understanding of the cosmos. It allows us to make predictions and observations about the Universe as a whole, rather than just specific regions. It also supports the idea of a single, consistent set of laws that govern the entire Universe, which can help us to better understand the origins and evolution of the cosmos.