Does universe expansion create new points in space?

In summary, the expansion of the universe does not create new points in space. Instead, the distance between existing points increases, but there was always an infinite number of points between them. This expansion has interesting implications, such as the ability to observe new things as time passes. However, defining a new point in space is not possible without a fixed coordinate system, which the universe lacks.
spaceman spiff
apologies if this has been asked before:
I'm trying to understand the expansion of the universe and i was wondering. . . . as the universe expands, are new points of space (or is it spacetime) being created?
if the answer is 'yes', what are the ramifications of this? my understanding is that space is not just 'nothing' and that it has some interesting properties. does the creation of more of it make a difference?

Space news on Phys.org
No, new points in space are not created by expansion. The distance between two nearby points increases, but there was an infinite number of points between them before the expansion, and there's an infinite number of points between them after the expansion.

To follow up on Nugatory's answer, you might find it informative to Google "metric expansion" and check out the link in my signature

You cannot define a 'new' point in space without a fixed coordinate system. The universe has no definable ordinal point upon which to base any such coordinate system.

The way the universe expands, that is, the way distances increase, does have some interesting 'ramifications'. One discussion is here:

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/observing-galaxies-that-recess-faster-than-c.810525/

Try the first eight or so posts, and if interested, also the Lineweaver and Davis reference in Post#1. That takes some time to absorb, but clarified things for me.

In short, we get to 'see' new things as time passes. Once light is encompassed within the "Hubble radius", the light begins to make progress towards us and we eventually may get to 'see' it...if we live long enough. "see" here means we receive a light signal that was emitted a long time ago.

Likes slatts

What is universe expansion?

Universe expansion is the theory that the universe is constantly growing and stretching outwards, causing the distance between galaxies and other celestial bodies to increase.

What is the evidence for universe expansion?

The evidence for universe expansion includes the observation of redshift in the light from distant galaxies, which indicates that they are moving away from us at increasing speeds. Additionally, the cosmic microwave background radiation shows a pattern of temperature fluctuations consistent with the theory of universe expansion.

Does universe expansion create new points in space?

No, universe expansion does not create new points in space. Instead, it causes the existing points in space to become further apart from each other.

What is the role of dark energy in universe expansion?

Dark energy is a theoretical force that is believed to be responsible for the accelerated expansion of the universe. It is thought to make up about 70% of the total mass and energy of the universe.

Will the universe continue to expand forever?

There is currently no consensus among scientists about whether the universe will continue to expand forever or eventually reach a point of maximum expansion before collapsing in on itself. This is an ongoing area of research and debate in the scientific community.