Need to buy a laptop that can load XP OS

by yungman
Tags: genuinebatteries.com
Share this thread:
yungman
Dec12-11, 12:31 AM
P: 3,883
Hi All

I have some old programs that can only run on XP. It is impossible to buy a new XP laptop anymore. I am thinking about buying a new Windows 7 laptop and load the XP into it so it can run the old programs. What do I have to look out when buying a laptop and also When is the XP OS I should buy to load onto the new laptop.

Or is there any way to make the old programs run on Windows 7? I tried to load them and they won't work as is.

Thanks.

Alan
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
NASA team lays plans to observe new worlds
IHEP in China has ambitions for Higgs factory
Spinach could lead to alternative energy more powerful than Popeye
Greg Bernhardt
Dec12-11, 12:32 AM
Admin
P: 9,281
Quote Quote by yungman View Post
Hi All

I have some old programs that can only run on XP. It is impossible to buy a new XP laptop anymore. I am thinking about buying a new Windows 7 laptop and load the XP into it so it can run the old programs. What do I have to look out when buying a laptop and also When is the XP OS I should buy to load onto the new laptop.

Thanks.

Alan
Win 7 has some decent compatibility tools and modes. Are you sure they won't work?
yungman
Dec12-11, 12:33 AM
Quote Quote by Greg Bernhardt View Post
Win 7 has some decent compatibility tools and modes. Are you sure they won't work?
What do you mean as I am not very good with computers. I have the Windows Virtual XP but it did funny things some times like the circle look like an elipse as the aspect ratio is not correct.

jhae2.718
Dec12-11, 09:33 AM
PF Gold
P: 1,153
Need to buy a laptop that can load XP OS

Here's a guide on XP compatibility for Windows 7: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...lity-mode.html
yungman
Dec13-11, 11:51 AM
Thanks Greg Bernhardt and Jhae2.718.

I can't find the commend per the website provided. BUT I right click the program and do trouble shoot compatibility and check the box that said the program will install and work in XP SP2. Then I don't know what I done!!!! After a few rounds, I tried and installed the program, at least one seems to work in my new computer that run W7!!!!!

I am a little nervous of what I did!!! But so far so good.

Thanks

Alan

Register to reply