Need to buy a laptop that can load XP OS

by yungman
Tags: genuinebatteries.com
yungman
Dec12-11, 12:31 AM
P: 3,843
Hi All

I have some old programs that can only run on XP. It is impossible to buy a new XP laptop anymore. I am thinking about buying a new Windows 7 laptop and load the XP into it so it can run the old programs. What do I have to look out when buying a laptop and also When is the XP OS I should buy to load onto the new laptop.

Or is there any way to make the old programs run on Windows 7? I tried to load them and they won't work as is.

Thanks.

Alan
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Better thermal-imaging lens from waste sulfur
Hackathon team's GoogolPlex gives Siri extra powers
Bright points in Sun's atmosphere mark patterns deep in its interior
Greg Bernhardt
Dec12-11, 12:32 AM
Admin
P: 8,534
Quote Quote by yungman View Post
Hi All

I have some old programs that can only run on XP. It is impossible to buy a new XP laptop anymore. I am thinking about buying a new Windows 7 laptop and load the XP into it so it can run the old programs. What do I have to look out when buying a laptop and also When is the XP OS I should buy to load onto the new laptop.

Thanks.

Alan
Win 7 has some decent compatibility tools and modes. Are you sure they won't work?
yungman
Dec12-11, 12:33 AM
Quote Quote by Greg Bernhardt View Post
Win 7 has some decent compatibility tools and modes. Are you sure they won't work?
What do you mean as I am not very good with computers. I have the Windows Virtual XP but it did funny things some times like the circle look like an elipse as the aspect ratio is not correct.

jhae2.718
Dec12-11, 09:33 AM
PF Gold
P: 1,153

Need to buy a laptop that can load XP OS

Here's a guide on XP compatibility for Windows 7: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...lity-mode.html
yungman
Dec13-11, 11:51 AM
Thanks Greg Bernhardt and Jhae2.718.

I can't find the commend per the website provided. BUT I right click the program and do trouble shoot compatibility and check the box that said the program will install and work in XP SP2. Then I don't know what I done!!!! After a few rounds, I tried and installed the program, at least one seems to work in my new computer that run W7!!!!!

I am a little nervous of what I did!!! But so far so good.

Thanks

Alan

Register to reply