Help installing old programs onto new a Win 10 computer

In summary, the individual is trying to install an old version of Adobe Photoshop (6.0) on a new 7th generation I5 laptop. They have tried various methods, such as using compatibility mode and running as administrator, but have been unsuccessful. They have also tried copying the files from the CD onto their desktop, but this did not work either. The individual is aware that simply copying the files will not work and that there may be registry entries missing. They have also tried to use the CD autoplay feature, but it did not work. The main issue seems to be that there is no setup.exe file on the CD, which is required for installation. The individual has tried to find solutions online, but most of them involve using
yungman
Hi

I just bought a new 7th gen I5 laptop. I am trying to load an old Adobe photoshop 6.0 I bought 18 years ago. It is a legitimate copy I paid $600 back in the days, I have all the serial numbers and all. But it won't install. I have read through a lot of suggestions on web. One problem is there is no setup.exe, it has an Autoplay only.

In CD.PNG
In CD.PNG

I try right click and click "troubleshoot compatibility" and I choose XP service pack 3, or try other and it won't work. I tried run as administrator, it did not work.

I am pretty sure the Photoshop 6.0 is 32 bit as it was out in 2000. Please help.

I have other programs that are just as old and very expensive also, I have no intention spending $thousands to buy new programs where the old one serve me just fine.

If all else fails, can I revert to Win 7?

Thanks

Attachments

• In CD.PNG
    In CD.PNG
    8.3 KB · Views: 961
Computer science news on Phys.org
You usually can't just copy the directories of old software and expect them to run on a new computer. Do you have the original CDs?

Borg said:
You usually can't just copy the directories of old software and expect them to run on a new computer. Do you have the original CDs?
Yes, I have the CD, it did not work, that's the reason I copy into the folder and put it on the desk top.

Thanks

I would turn off the Microsoft 'feature' that hides known extensions and look for all of the executables (.exe files) on the CD, including sub-directories.

BTW, files copied from a CD will often be saved as read-only which can also cause problems if you don't change it manually.

yungman said:
I have read through a lot of suggestions on web.

It would help to know what you already tried, so we don't repeat it
yungman said:
I have no intention spending $thousands to buy new programs where the old one serve me just fine.

You may not have a choice. 6.0 worked on NT. That goes back to 1996. In twenty-two years there can be a lot of charges to the underlying hardware and the operating system - which has undergone 8 major revisions since then.

Vanadium 50 said:
It would help to know what you already tried, so we don't repeat it
.You may not have a choice. 6.0 worked on NT. That goes back to 1996. In twenty-two years there can be a lot of charges to the underlying hardware and the operating system - which has undergone 8 major revisions since then.
I tried:
1) Using CD, right click on the auto play, choose compatibility mode using XP service pack 3, win 7, did not work.
2) Copy onto desktop and did the same as in 1). Did not work.
3) Booted in Safe Mode and repeated 2), did not work.
4) Install in Administrator, did not work.

Thanks

yungman said:
One problem is there is no setup.exe, it has an Autoplay only.
As I recall, it's not the 'Autoplay' what you need but the 'Autorun'. That is supposed to be an executable batch file. You should be able to start it manually (double click), or worst case you can read it (it should be a text file) and check where is the setup.exe hidden. Because that one should be there too, maybe within one of the directories.

Ps.: I would expect the relevant setup.exe to be in the 'Adobe Photoshop 6' directory.

Likes Borg
What does "did not work" mean? It ran to completion, but the program doesn't appear anywhere? It gave an error message? Something else?

The "Autoplay" file tells the OS what to in order to install the contents. You can inspect it with Notepad.

And - no, you cannot copy the old directories. There is a lot more going on when installing. Adobe usually creates at least 100 entries in the Registry and those do not come along when you copy the program files only.

If no window pops up when you insert the CD, the "auto-inform" may have been disabled. Open Autoplay and run the commands manually.

Vanadium 50 said:
What does "did not work" mean? It ran to completion, but the program doesn't appear anywhere? It gave an error message? Something else?
It has no response! When I chose either XP SP3 or Win7 and click, the photoshop installation page will show up. But when I click install, it will "think" for a second, then it stop doing anything as if I did not click install. Just nothing happen as if I did not click install. No message, no nothing. The computer is not stuck, it just doesn't do anything.

Thanks

Svein said:
The "Autoplay" file tells the OS what to in order to install the contents. You can inspect it with Notepad.

And - no, you cannot copy the old directories. There is a lot more going on when installing. Adobe usually creates at least 100 entries in the Registry and those do not come along when you copy the program files only.

If no window pops up when you insert the CD, the "auto-inform" may have been disabled. Open Autoplay and run the commands manually.
Yes, I installed some other programs, none of them auto played. I always have to use file explorer to open the CD and click setup.exe to install the program. I'll look for how to open autoplay.

Thanks

Borg said:
I would turn off the Microsoft 'feature' that hides known extensions and look for all of the executables (.exe files) on the CD, including sub-directories.

BTW, files copied from a CD will often be saved as read-only which can also cause problems if you don't change it manually.
This one doesn't have setup.exe. I have the Avery CD also I cannot install as it does not have setup.exe. My other software that has setup.exe worked. Problem is most of the instructions I read online in dealing with old program is for programs with setup.exe, that's why they really don't help me at all.

I tried installing directly from the CD, it behaved the same, I read an instruction telling me to copy into the computer and try again. That's the reason I copy onto the desktop.

Thanks

Turn all of your computer's security features off.

If you're not getting any errors from the installer (I'm shocked such an old program even gets past the installer) then it could be that the certificate is so old that Windows no longer recognizes it so it thinks its a dangerous third party app.

I'm guessing such an old program may have some dependencies that will be broken. For example, I'm 100% sure that originally, it would install to C:\Program Files, but now it'll go to C:\Program Files (x86).

You mentioned that you tried to install in compatibility mode, but as far as I know, WOW is not installed by default on Win10. Are you sure you've installed WOW64 correctly?

Could you please check the presence of setup.exe in the 'Adobe photoshop 6' folder according to #7 ?

Rive said:
As I recall, it's not the 'Autoplay' what you need but the 'Autorun'. That is supposed to be an executable batch file. You should be able to start it manually (double click), or worst case you can read it (it should be a text file) and check where is the setup.exe hidden. Because that one should be there too, maybe within one of the directories.

Ps.: I would expect the relevant setup.exe to be in the 'Adobe Photoshop 6' directory.
I check Autoplay in control panel, I think it's on. See picture:

Autoplay.PNG

So I think it's on.

Thanks.

Attachments

• Autoplay.PNG
    Autoplay.PNG
    8.6 KB · Views: 561
Rive said:
Could you please check the presence of setup.exe in the 'Adobe photoshop 6' folder according to #7 ?
I did search, no setup.exe what so ever.

newjerseyrunner said:
Turn all of your computer's security features off.

If you're not getting any errors from the installer (I'm shocked such an old program even gets past the installer) then it could be that the certificate is so old that Windows no longer recognizes it so it thinks its a dangerous third party app.

I'm guessing such an old program may have some dependencies that will be broken. For example, I'm 100% sure that originally, it would install to C:\Program Files, but now it'll go to C:\Program Files (x86).

You mentioned that you tried to install in compatibility mode, but as far as I know, WOW is not installed by default on Win10. Are you sure you've installed WOW64 correctly?
Can you show me how to check and/or fix the WOW? I am not familiar with this, I read online but I just don't quite understand. I know it said making the 32bit program run on 64bit platform, but I just never work on this problem before.

Any other suggestion?

yungman said:
I check Autoplay in control panel, I think it's on.
Autorun is the batch file in the main directory of the CD which starts automatically after the CD inserted.
Autoplay is the OS function. Pease try to start the autorun file manually, and/or check its content.

yungman said:
I did search, no setup.exe what so ever.
Could you please post a file list about that directory?

Rive said:
Autorun is the batch file in the main directory of the CD which starts automatically after the CD inserted.
Autoplay is the OS function. Pease try to start the autorun file manually, and/or check its content.Could you please post a file list about that directory?
The file list directory on the CD is show in the picture in post #1. You can see that's all it has. I opened each of the folder, there is no setup.exe.

If you mean double click the Autoplay in the CD manually, I did, that's the only way to even get started. It will show the first screen asking me to click install. But when I click "next", nothing happens anymore, it's just do nothing.

When I run in competitive mode, that autoplay will start too, just do nothing after the first "next".

Thanks

yungman said:
I opened each of the folder, there is no setup.exe.
The name does not necessarily the good old 'setup.exe'. It can be something else. That's why I asked the file list of the relevant 'Adobe Photoshop 6' directory.

yungman said:
It will show the first screen asking me to click install. But when I click "next", nothing happens anymore, it's just do nothing.
Well, that might be an indication that the CD actually works. There is a known problem with win10 and 16bit installers, a solution described here: https://www.groovypost.com/howto/enable-16-bit-application-support-windows-10/

Ps.: as it seems In case of 64bit Win10 there is no solution other than a virtual machine: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...-windows/50497e46-707e-42b4-af7f-539037f5d0a0

I was also getting to the point where I was going to suggest a virtual machine.

Looking at the Adobe forums, there are several reports of problems post-install. These folks installed 6.0 and the upgraded to Windows 10, so they are in the same situation you would be in even if the installer were made to work.

yungman said:
Can you show me how to check and/or fix the WOW? I am not familiar with this, I read online but I just don't quite understand. I know it said making the 32bit program run on 64bit platform, but I just never work on this problem before.
Click on Start then type “programs and features”. It’s a list of all installed programs, one of them should be WOW.

Wow is windows backwards compatibility layer for legacy software. It is required to run programs that predate XP. It’s basically an emulated windows.

Rive said:
The name does not necessarily the good old 'setup.exe'. It can be something else. That's why I asked the file list of the relevant 'Adobe Photoshop 6' directory.Well, that might be an indication that the CD actually works. There is a known problem with win10 and 16bit installers, a solution described here: https://www.groovypost.com/howto/enable-16-bit-application-support-windows-10/

Ps.: as it seems In case of 64bit Win10 there is no solution other than a virtual machine: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...-windows/50497e46-707e-42b4-af7f-539037f5d0a0
Thanks Rive for taking the time to help me. I followed you first link and I got stuck. I turned off the NTVDM in the first step already. But when I got into cmd.com and type FONDUE.exe/enable-feature:NTVDM, it gave me error message as shown
NTVDM error.PNG

I tried to look at error code0x800F080C, it's a little ( say way) over my head! Anything you can help?

Thanks

One thing good, I am learning a lot more about Win 10!

Attachments

• NTVDM error.PNG
    NTVDM error.PNG
    16.4 KB · Views: 622
I open the Autoplay and look, this is what's in it:

[autorun]
open=AutoPlay.exe -c
icon=Autoplay\ps5cd.ico

I type in Autoplay.exe in cmd.exe, it said it cannot find the program.

Attachments

• upload_2018-4-13_13-50-59.png
    upload_2018-4-13_13-50-59.png
    9.2 KB · Views: 509
Am I running out of luck?

You need to find the directory that autoplay.exe is located and try running it from there. As posted earlier, some 32 bit programs use a 16 bit installer (most of these from back in the days of Win 9X or legacy install programs from those days that were not updated), which won't run on a 64 bit version of Windows. Also as posted, you could use the virtual PC Win XP mode for programs that use a 16 bit installer. I recommend using a USB stick to transfer files between the virtual XP machine and your actual machine. The virtual machine CPU speeds are OK, but the emulated graphics is slow (if it's still the S3 Trio emulation, it doesn't have any 3d acceleration, only 2d).

For applications and games that use cd/dvd copy protection programs like safedisk or securerom, these won't run on Windows 10 (even in virtual PC / XP mode), because Windows 10 won't allow those programs to install the drivers those programs use. Windows XP allows such drivers to be installed by default. Windows 7 and 8 default to not installing such drivers, but in the case of Windows 7 or 8, that can be overridden and the drivers installed. In the case of Windows 10, there's no documented method for forcing such drivers to install, as installing these type of drivers is considered a security risk.

rcgldr said:
You need to find the directory that autoplay.exe is located and try running it from there. As posted earlier, some 32 bit programs use a 16 bit installer (most of these from back in the days of Win 9X or legacy install programs from those days that were not updated), which won't run on a 64 bit version of Windows. Also as posted, you could use the virtual PC Win XP mode for programs that use a 16 bit installer. I recommend using a USB stick to transfer files between the virtual XP machine and your actual machine. The virtual machine CPU speeds are OK, but the emulated graphics is slow (if it's still the S3 Trio emulation, it doesn't have any 3d acceleration, only 2d).

For applications and games that use cd/dvd copy protection programs like safedisk or securerom, these won't run on Windows 10 (even in virtual PC / XP mode), because Windows 10 won't allow those programs to install the drivers those programs use. Windows XP allows such drivers to be installed by default. Windows 7 and 8 default to not installing such drivers, but in the case of Windows 7 or 8, that can be overridden and the drivers installed. In the case of Windows 10, there's no documented method for forcing such drivers to install, as installing these type of drivers is considered a security risk.
I did a search of autoplay.exe in "my pc", only thing came up were the two autoplay in the photoshop 6.0 installation folder ( which is just a copy of the CD on the desktop). There are no autoplay.exe in the computer.

Earlier, I went into cmd.exe and ran autoplay.exe, it said there is no program by that name.

I think the problem is my new computer does not have autoplay.exe. is there anyway to get this from Microsoft or something?

Thanks

Is there a setup.exe on the cd-rom? If so, try running that.

rcgldr said:
Is there a setup.exe on the cd-rom? If so, try running that.
There is none.

yungman said:
You have file extensions turned off. Which means you likely have hide system files activated as well.
It's possible that setup.exe is hidden. It's also possible it's in a different directory (say, the AUTOPLAY directory there).

(Just Google 'view hidden files win 10')

Open autoplay/autorun in Notepad to see what file(s) it runs.

Likes Nik_2213 and yungman