Finding Solace in Favourite Quotes: Escaping Despair with Words of Wisdom

• Thread starter quddusaliquddus
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation was about sharing favorite quotes. Some of the mentioned quotes were from famous people like Maynard James Keenan, Robin Williams, Friedrich Nietzsche, and Lao Tzu. Other quotes were from movies like The Godfather and The Fugitive. Some were humorous, some were thought-provoking, and some were just silly. The conversation also touched on the topic of mistakes and the English language. Overall, the conversation was a mix of humor and insightful thoughts.
  • #1,401
Jimmy Snyder said:
It means that you can't label anyone stupid unless they do something stupid. Forrest was not stupid in his mother's eyes because he didn't do stupid things. And because she was his mother.

I did not think that's what that phrase meant.

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #1,402
DaveC426913 said:
I did not think that's what that phrase meant.
Well?

• #1,403
Jimmy Snyder said:
Well?
I never really had an idea what it meant.

I just sort of assumed it was some sort of badly formed 'I know you are but what am I?'

• #1,404
Jimmy Snyder said:
It means that you can't label anyone stupid unless they do something stupid. Forrest was not stupid in his mother's eyes because he didn't do stupid things. And because she was his mother.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4XT-l-_3y0

• #1,405
DaveC426913 said:
I never really had an idea what it meant.

I just sort of assumed it was some sort of badly formed 'I know you are but what am I?'

I think it's based on the idiom, "Pretty is as pretty does."

To me it sounds like something Forrest's mother came up with on the fly, as a response to someone calling him stupid.

• #1,406
Tregg Smith said:
Well you could get a cherry filled chocolate or a creamy center chocolate or a caramel filled one or a maple one or an almond or a peanut butter or a jelly or one with a mouse fetus or a worm or a shard of glass or a gold nugget. There are many different but they all look the same so you never know what you will get.

Mouse fetus,worm,shard of glass what the hell!

Get a box for your woman and see for yourself.

Too bad i can't do that i only have an imaginary girlfriend:redface:

• #1,407
Jimmy Snyder said:
He who procrastinates laughs last.

That my friend..., is not true.

• #1,408
Good judgement comes from experience.

Experience comes from poor judgement.

• #1,409
“To live alone one must be a beast or a god, says Aristotle. Leaving out the third case: one must be both — a philosopher.”
Nietzsche

"Confine yourself to the present."
Marcus Aurelius

"Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily.”
Napoleon Bonaparte

• #1,410
“Economic forecasting was created to make astrology look respectable.”
- Kenneth Galbraith

• #1,411

quddusaliquddus said:
What are your favourite quotes?

"You want fries with that?"

• #1,412
My favorite quote is my forum signature.

• #1,414
“America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, badass speed.” Eleanor Roosevelt

• #1,415
Ivan Seeking said:
“Economic forecasting was created to make astrology look respectable.”
- Kenneth Galbraith

sweet

• #1,416
navynuclear said:
“America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, badass speed.” Eleanor Roosevelt

:uhh:...are you sure Eleanor Roosevelt used the term "badass"?

• #1,418
lisab said:
:uhh:...are you sure Eleanor Roosevelt used the term "badass"?
It appears to be misattributed from a movie.

• #1,419
Ok you got me..."I am not a crook" Richard Nixon

• #1,420
Another Richard Nixon quote:

!$#^*@!*&%

• #1,421
Borg said:
It appears to be misattributed from a movie.

Got me again. It was from the movie The Sound of Music.

• #1,422
"God created the integers... and he made infinity too, just to confuse us."

• #1,423
"However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them?"
-Buddha

• #1,424
Char. Limit said:
"God created the integers... and he made infinity too, just to confuse us."

lol!

• #1,426
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts" - Richard Feynman

• #1,427
a strange passion is moving in my head.
My heart has become a bird
which searches in the sky.
Every part of me goes in different directions.
Is it really so
that the one i love is everywhere?

- jalal ad-din rumi

• #1,428
It's always nice to meet a world leader who has bigger ears than me.
- Obama; at Disneyworld.

• #1,429
Newt Gingrich: I don't understand why people take an instant dislike to me.

Bob Dole: It saves them time.

• #1,430
Ivan Seeking said:
Newt Gingrich: I don't understand why people take an instant dislike to me.

Bob Dole: It saves them time.

I lol'ed at that...

• #1,431
lisab said:
I lol'ed at that...
It brought a smile to my face as well.

• #1,432
Ron Paul had some great lines in the Republican debate last night.

Wolf Blitzer: If you were President and Raúl Castro [President of Cuba] called, what would you say to him?

Ron Paul: I'd ask him why he called.

• #1,433
"Politics is really religion. Politics is about sacredness." social psychologist Jonathan Haidt. I think here, the term religion refers more to ideology. Interesting point though.

“When it gets so that your opponents are not just people you disagree with, but… the mental state in which I am fighting for good, and you are fighting for evil, it’s very difficult to compromise,” Haidt tells Moyers. “Compromise becomes a dirty word.”

http://billmoyers.com/episode/how-do-conservatives-and-liberals-see-the-world/

• #1,435
Astronuc said:
"Politics is really religion. Politics is about sacredness." social psychologist Jonathan Haidt. I think here, the term religion refers more to ideology. Interesting point though.

“When it gets so that your opponents are not just people you disagree with, but… the mental state in which I am fighting for good, and you are fighting for evil, it’s very difficult to compromise,” Haidt tells Moyers. “Compromise becomes a dirty word.”

http://billmoyers.com/episode/how-do-conservatives-and-liberals-see-the-world/

One thing about his position that is annoying is that he ignores that on the right, actual religion does play a huge role, and they believe they really are fighting against evil. That seems like a fairly significant point to overlook given the context.

On the matter regarding ethics books... too funny, but almost predictable as irony.

If explicit cognition about morality promotes moral behavior then one might expect ethics professors to behave particularly well. However, professional ethicists’ behavior has never been empirically studied. The present research examined the rates at which ethics books are missing from leading academic libraries, compared to other philosophy books similar in age and popularity. Study 1 found that relatively obscure, contemporary ethics books of the sort likely to be borrowed mainly by professors and advanced students of philosophy were actually about 50% more likely to be missing than non-ethics books. Study 2 found that classic (pre-1900) ethics books were about twice as likely to be missing.
http://www.faculty.ucr.edu/~eschwitz/SchwitzAbs/EthicsBooks.htm

<h2>1. What is the purpose of finding solace in favourite quotes?</h2><p>The purpose of finding solace in favourite quotes is to provide comfort and inspiration during difficult times. Quotes can offer a new perspective, remind us of our inner strength, and provide guidance on how to cope with challenges.</p><h2>2. How can quotes help us escape despair?</h2><p>Quotes can help us escape despair by offering words of wisdom and encouragement. They can remind us of the power of positivity and the importance of gratitude, which can shift our mindset and help us see the light in dark situations.</p><h2>3. Are there specific types of quotes that are more effective in providing solace?</h2><p>The effectiveness of a quote in providing solace is subjective and varies from person to person. However, quotes that resonate with an individual's personal experiences and beliefs are more likely to offer comfort and solace.</p><h2>4. Can quotes be used as a form of therapy?</h2><p>Yes, quotes can be used as a form of therapy. They can serve as a source of reflection and self-discovery, and can help individuals process their emotions and thoughts in a healthy way.</p><h2>5. How can one incorporate favourite quotes into their daily life?</h2><p>Incorporating favourite quotes into daily life can be done in various ways, such as writing them down and keeping them in a visible place, using them as daily affirmations, or sharing them with others. It is also helpful to reflect on the meaning of the quote and how it can be applied to one's life.</p>

1. What is the purpose of finding solace in favourite quotes?

The purpose of finding solace in favourite quotes is to provide comfort and inspiration during difficult times. Quotes can offer a new perspective, remind us of our inner strength, and provide guidance on how to cope with challenges.

2. How can quotes help us escape despair?

Quotes can help us escape despair by offering words of wisdom and encouragement. They can remind us of the power of positivity and the importance of gratitude, which can shift our mindset and help us see the light in dark situations.

3. Are there specific types of quotes that are more effective in providing solace?

The effectiveness of a quote in providing solace is subjective and varies from person to person. However, quotes that resonate with an individual's personal experiences and beliefs are more likely to offer comfort and solace.

4. Can quotes be used as a form of therapy?

Yes, quotes can be used as a form of therapy. They can serve as a source of reflection and self-discovery, and can help individuals process their emotions and thoughts in a healthy way.

5. How can one incorporate favourite quotes into their daily life?

Incorporating favourite quotes into daily life can be done in various ways, such as writing them down and keeping them in a visible place, using them as daily affirmations, or sharing them with others. It is also helpful to reflect on the meaning of the quote and how it can be applied to one's life.