Finding Solace in Favourite Quotes: Escaping Despair with Words of Wisdom

• Thread starter quddusaliquddus
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation was about sharing favorite quotes. Some of the mentioned quotes were from famous people like Maynard James Keenan, Robin Williams, Friedrich Nietzsche, and Lao Tzu. Other quotes were from movies like The Godfather and The Fugitive. Some were humorous, some were thought-provoking, and some were just silly. The conversation also touched on the topic of mistakes and the English language. Overall, the conversation was a mix of humor and insightful thoughts.
  • #1,646
May you live in interesting times.
May you gain the attention of important people.
May you find what you are looking for.
-Three (alleged) Chinese Curses

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #1,648
A consolation for some likely to be found here who may sometimes feel they've missed out on stuff.

"Work is so much more fun than fun!" - Noel Coward.

• #1,649
Children are wormholes. They're portals into the unreachable future and unattainable past.
-Numb3rs

• #1,650
"Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly; Man got to sit and wonder, 'Why, why, why?' Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land; Man got to tell himself he understand."
Kurt Vonnegut

• #1,651
"Data" is not the plural of "anecdote"

• #1,652
Nugatory said:
"Data" is not the plural of "anecdote"
Damn, there goes all my anecdotal research.

• #1,653
OmCheeto said:
Sometimes, you have to stop thinking outside of the box, because the **** outside of the box, is just wrong.

in response to my cousin saying; "Not fair!"

When she thought she had the correct answer to:

pf.ofg.duh.2013.12.8.16.27.jpg

:devil:

• #1,654
OmCheeto said:
in response to my cousin saying; "Not fair!"

When she thought she had the correct answer to:

:devil:

79? or is that too obvious :redface:

• #1,655
OmCheeto said:

I refute the earlier conclusions and maintain that 117=117.
or...
69...tens digit in serial and ones digit as a sum of the digits in LHS
or the easy 79.
But as I hate that show I refute that reasoning too.
P.S. I is a cat killer. Do not think inside the box...I loves opening them.

Last edited:
  • #1,656
lisab said:
79? or is that too obvious :redface:

That's what 99% of the people who answer come up with.

Only 1% come up with
117 = 117. The rest are all wrong, duh.

But I believe the original author wanted your answer. :tongue:

The maths nerds complained that he shouldn't have used the equal signs in the puzzle.

• #1,657
Enigman said:
I refute the earlier conclusions and maintain that 117=117.
or...
69...tens digit in serial and ones digit as a sum of the digits in LHS
or the easy 79.
But as I hate that show I refute that reasoning too.
P.S. I is a cat killer. Do not think inside the box...I loves opening them.

I've never seen the show, and think the image is photoshopped.

Good job getting 117. :smile:

• #1,658
Experience is the comb life gives you after you lose your hair.

• #1,660
The worlds smartest man poses no more threat to me than its smartest termite.
-Dr Manhattan

• #1,661
OmCheeto said:
I've never seen the show, and think the image is photoshopped.
The Blackboard thread confirmed it:
attachment.php?attachmentid=60911&stc=1&d=1376532825.jpg

• #1,662
Life is thickly sown with thorns, and I know no other remedy than to pass quickly through them. The longer we dwell on our misfortunes, the greater is their power to harm us.
Voltaire

• #1,663
“To love at all is to be vulnerable. Love anything and your heart will be wrung and possibly broken. If you want to make sure of keeping it intact you must give it to no one, not even an animal. Wrap it carefully round with hobbies and little luxuries; avoid all entanglements. Lock it up safe in the casket or coffin of your selfishness. But in that casket, safe, dark, motionless, airless, it will change. It will not be broken; it will become unbreakable, impenetrable, irredeemable. To love is to be vulnerable.”― C.S. Lewis, The Four Loves

• #1,664
"If all economists were laid end to end they still wouldn't reach a conclusion."

George Bernard Shaw.

"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, IT IS THE LEADERS of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is TELL THEM THEY ARE BEING ATTACKED, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. IT WORKS THE SAME IN ANY COUNTRY."

--Herman Goering at the Nuremberg Trials

Both memorable for various reasons.

And another favourite apposite remark:

"String Theorists don't make predictions they just make excuses."

R.P.Feynman.

And another more prescient remark. :tongue:

"Some day, following the example of the United States of America, there will be a United States of Europe."

George Washington

"These capitalists generally act harmoniously and in concert, to fleece the people."

Abraham Lincoln

"I'd rather have the banks in front of me and the confederate army behind me."

Abraham Lincoln.

Abe on banking and capitalism. Oh Abraham you don't know how right you were. :wink:

Last edited:
  • #1,665
From our own AlephZero:
In "English units" (which are no longer used in England in science and engineering, so they really ought to be called "stupid American units" IMHO)...

• #1,666
Nugatory said:
From our own AlephZero:

:rofl:

I'm going to have to change my favorite quote from

OmCheeto said:
The world will be a better place, when all these old stupid people, die.

to

OmCheeto said:
The world will be a better place, when all these old people still using stupid American units, die.

:tongue:

• #1,667
Nugatory said:
From our own AlephZero:

It was funny!
Where did he say that?

• #1,668
Nugatory said:
From our own AlephZero:

And to justify the assertion, here's another quote from PF - though maybe it should be in the "lame jokes" thread. Probably best left anonymous...
Power and torque are the same at 5252rpm.
If you only use sensible units and don't get the joke, don't worry about it!

Likes 1 person
  • #1,669
"Despair, like the bleak winter fades away." It has been written by me. -_-"

Yes! Seriously by me! Sorry. Just turned hyper. Have been philosophising since.. =_=".

• #1,670
"Thou shalt not bring up philosophy in this community"

• #1,671
Innocence is not a starting position in life, or in crime - it is a stage of emotional intelligence in a spectrum of experience.

• #1,672
No matter how good or bad you have it, wake up thankful for your life, because someone somewhere is desperately fighting for theirs.

• #1,673
Sometimes accepting that a situation has moved past the point of salvage isn't giving up. It's growing up.

• #1,674
Remembrance of things past is not necessarily the remembrance of things as they were.

• #1,675
Perception is a clash of mind and eye, the eye believing what it sees, the mind seeing what it believes.

• #1,676
My number one of all time, truly magnificent quote:

"If any man is unhappy, let him remember that he is unhappy by reason of himself alone."
Epictetus

and the rest:

"If you work at that which is before you, following right reason seriously, vigorously, calmly without allowing anything else to distract you, but keeping your divine part pure, as if you might be bound to give it back immediately; if you hold to this, expecting nothing, fearing nothing, but satisfied with your present activity according to nature, you will be happy. And there is no man who is able to prevent this."
Marcus Aurelius

"You have power over your mind - not outside events. Realize this, and you will find strength."
Marcus Aurelius

"There is only one way to happiness and that is to cease worrying about things which are beyond the power or our will."
Epictetus

"There is no person so severely punished, as those who subject themselves to the whip of their own remorse."
Seneca the Younger

"How much more grievous are the consequences of anger than the causes of it."
Marcus Aurelius

"First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do."
Epictetus

"All cruelty springs from weakness."
Seneca the Younger

"Any person capable of angering you becomes your master; he can anger you only when you permit yourself to be disturbed by him."
Epictetus

There are too many to list. I would quote Epictetus' Discourses, M. Aurelius's Meditations, and Seneca's Letters in their entirety.

• #1,677
"All cruelty springs from weakness."
Seneca the Younger

double that

• #1,678
If you see only one possible answer, you failed to comprehend the question - Karl Popper.

• #1,679
“I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.
"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.”

• #1,680
I have often said elsewhere what I wish to repeat here, that Mr. Lincoln was not only a great President, but a GREAT MAN--too great to be small in anything. In his company I was never in any way reminded of my humble origin, or of my unpopular color.
--- Frederick Douglass