My Favourite Movies: Batman, Hachicko & Braveheart

• MHB
  • Thread starter mathmaniac1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Movies
In summary, the conversation was about favorite movies. Mark mentioned Fight Club as his favorite, and others mentioned Batman Begins and Dark Knight Rises. The most unpredictable movie for Mark was The Man from Earth.
mathmaniac1
Hi Everyone,
Lets talk about Movies.
What are your favourite movies[english]?
Mine:

Batman Trilogy(especially Dark Knight)
Hachicko A Dog's Story(very emotional)
Braveheart

And...

Let me think...

Physics news on Phys.org
A few of my favorites in no particular order:

T2: Judgement Day
Dawn Of The Dead (Original)
Independence Day
Dark Knight
The Empire Strikes Back
Star Trek: First Contact

Why only english movies? But ok.. in no particular order:

- Back to the future trilogy
- First three American Pie's
- Sophie's Choice (1982)
- Forrest Gump
- The Green Mile
- Terminator
- The Terminal
- Flowers for Algernon
- Freaks and Geeks (series)
- Teachers (series)
- Anything Star-Trek related :D

I'm sure there's a lot more, but I have bad memory and this is what I currently have on my external hard drive, so yeah. (Smoking)

Bacterius said:

- Freaks and Geeks (series)

I loved that series...it was set in the exact same time period in which I would have been their same age. I related so well to the characters. I was one of the freaks and geeks at my high school. (Giggle)

I couldn't believe it was canceled so soon after it began. (Crying)

MarkFL said:
Dark Knight

what about others:)?Batman Begins and Dark Knight Rises...?

Whch is the most unpredictable movie you guys have ever seen?

Me:Fight Club...

mathmaniac said:
what about others:)?Batman Begins and Dark Knight Rises...?

I have enjoyed them all, but I thought Heath Ledger's performance as "The Joker" took this one far above the others...he was simply brilliant in that role. :cool:

And there are news that he died of drug addiction which he did for suiting the Joker role...
He is a determined actor,one I will never forget...
Another one like him is Christian Bale(Bruce Wayne in Batman)
Have you seen his movie "The Machinist"?

Its not about the movie.The movie isn't that great to me.Its about his determination.He lost some 60 pounds for this role!View attachment 711

And which was the most unpredictable movie for you,Mark?

Attachments

• images (1).jpg
    images (1).jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 39
mathmaniac said:

I would have to think about that...there have been many good movies that kept me guessing all the way through though. If I think of my favorite in that regard, I will post it. (Nod)

'The Man From Earth' is the best movie I have ever seen and it beats my second best (I don't know which is that) by a lightyear.

- - - Updated - - -

mathmaniac said:
And there are news that he died of drug addiction which he did for suiting the Joker role...
He is a determined actor,one I will never forget...
Another one like him is Christian Bale(Bruce Wayne in Batman)
Have you seen his movie "The Machinist"?

Its not about the movie.The movie isn't that great to me.Its about his determination.He lost some 60 pounds for this role!View attachment 711

I saw this movie too. All the time I thought its some kind of camera work or some CGI or something.. didn't pay much attention. But later I found out that he actually lost that much weight for this role and I was amazed.

I watch a lot of movies. When I was in Russia it was a way for me to feel more connected to home so I started watching even more. That doesn't make my opinion better or worse though.

This probably will start some controversy, but that's ok because I'm right. ;) The Dark Knight trilogy has been one of the most popular movie series of the last few years and for me this is the order in which they fall from best to worst.

Batman Begins > Dark Knight >>>>>>> Dark Knight Rises.

Heath Ledger was the best villain by far and TDK was a very good movie but lots of people forget about BB. TDRK was such a disappointment for me. Waited in line for the midnight showing for 2.5 hours for it. :(

Christian Bale is a very good actor and Batman doesn't even begin to showcase his talent. He was amazing in The Machinist, The Fighter and American Psycho.

Here are some movies that I marked on IMDB.com recently (awesome site by the way for movie info) in no particular order:

District 9, Moonrise Kingdom, Pan's Labyrinth, Fight Club, The Shawshank Redemption, Inglorious Basterds, Pulp Fiction, Watchmen, The Sting.

Last edited:
Jameson said:
The Dark Knight trilogy has been one of the most popular movie series of the last few years and for me this is the order in which they fall from best to worst.

Batman Begins > Dark Knight >>>>>>> Dark Knight Rises.

No,I think all three are equally good...Tell me why you think so...

Christian Bale is a very good actor and Batman does even begin to showcase his talent.

Who said?I think,he became more popular through Batman...;)

He was amazing in The Machinist, The Fighter and American Psycho.

I think there are a lot of films in english about paranoid scrizopheniacs and insomniacs...Another is 12 monkeys...

Have you seen "A Beautiful Mind"...?

IMDB.com (awesome site by the way for movie info)

Like...

But some say "Rotten Tomatoes" is better...

Fight Club,

Were you able to guess it?

The Shawshank Redemption,

Its given no:1 in IMDB...But I haven't seen it yet...

Inglorious Basterds, Pulp Fiction,

Those are nice...

"Pulp Fiction" was full of humour...
Groundhog day?Have you seen it?Its humorous...

And what about "Usual Suspects"?

The Shawshank Redemption and Pulp Fiction are two movies that I like well enough to periodically watch again.

I made a small typo. I meant to write "Christian Bale is a very good actor and Batman doesn't even begin to showcase his talent.". He did a good job as Batman but the role just wasn't that difficult to play. His other movies demonstrate his ability to really become a character that is tough to do.

TDRK was the worst of the three because of its numerous plot holes, bad fight sequences and just a bad story line. I'll point out a few and warning these are highly opinionated positions but these aren't even getting real nit-picky.

1. When Bruce escapes the prison he appears a few days later in Gotham, despite having no money, being located on the other side of the world and Gotham being closed off. It would have been worth a 5 minute scene showing how he got back in.

2. Bane won't shut up and his voice always seems to be amplified through a microphone that doesn't exist in the story. Take a look at the first fight scene with Batman, which showcases the bad choreography and how his voice doesn't ever change volume depending on the distance to the camera. It's unrealistic in many ways.

Here's the video:

At 0:41 (41 seconds in) you'll see Batman is clearly hitting air and Tom Hardy is faking being hit in the face. This happens a couple more times. 1:10 (1 minute, 10 seconds) Bane does this spin move which again obviously strikes air. The fight looks bad for numerous reasons and it's obvious that they are acting. Good fight scenes really seem like two guys are duking it out.

3. The villain's real motivation for taking over Gotham is just about a girl. Boring. It should have been about really finishing the work of the League of Shadows, who wanted to save Gotham by destroying it first. There was a sick kind of utilitarianism at work.

4. The final fight scene where it's cops vs. henchman is so absurd I was laughing during the movie. The cops are armed with batons and charge a team of guys holding automatic guns and somehow expect to win. Then Batman just waltzes through all of that unharmed and meets up with Bane. Not buying it.

4. Miranda's death scene was probably the worst on screen death in history. Cotillard is a good actress but she phoned this role in at best. It was embarrassing to watch her death scene.

Jameson,I never found these when I saw TDKR...
I believe there are truth to your arguements...,but everyone forgets these thinking "Oh,Its Batman,nothing is impossible for him"...
But the fight scenes...,how did you figure it out?
And you wanted The League to destroy Gotham...?
Anyway atlast,the Batman coming back from the dead and the rising of Robin was cool to me...
And Wayne's escape was also good...
But I was able to guess that it was Miranda who was Ra's Al Gul's child...I was darn sure that it is not bane...

Anyway you are a good film detective...

Go to the oscar judgement panel...

And now I know why TDRK wasn't even nominated...

Did you see "Les Miserables"?

1. Sense and Sensibility (Emma Thompson version)
2. A Few Good Men
3. Chariots of Fire
4. Shawshank Redemption
5. Harry Potter series
6. Various other Jane Austen makes, including the 4-hour BBC Pride and Prejudice, the BBC Mansfield Park, the Kate Beckinsale Emma, and others.
7. Henry V (Kenneth Branaugh version)
8. Jane Marple (played by Joan Hickson) and Hercule Poirot (played by David Suchet) mysteries of Agatha Christie.
9. Sherlock Holmes (played by Jeremy Brett).
10. The Sound of Music
11. My Fair Lady

Let me add a few more of mine:

Cast Away(Tom Hanks was excellent)
October Sky
The Good The Bad and The Ugly
I am LegendAnd I heard Christopher Nolan(Batman director) is going for Superman...
We can hope something from him...

Here are some of my favorites.
You'll note that most of them are quite old, some are "cult classics".

Bicentennial Man
The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
Forbidden Planet
Fahrenheit 451
The Seven Faces of Dr. Lao
Slaughterhouse-Five
The List of Adrian Messenger
Something Wicked This Way Comes

My favorite ones are cartoon or horror. I don't know whether cartoon movies are allowed in this collection so I am positing the horror movies (not in any particular order) :

1. Ring 1,2
2. Child's play 1,2,3
3. Mimic 1
4. Nightmare on Elm Street
5. Paranormal Activities 3
6. Devil's meeting (I don't know whether this is really the name, I forgot :p But I remember the whole story)

Here is another collection (non-horror) but they are not in the first row, however ;)

1. I, Robot
2. Men In Black 3
3. Terminator Salvation
4. War of the Worlds
6. Spiderwick Chronicals
8. Jumanjii (forgot the spelling)

Balarka (Hey, it's not a movie, it's my name!)

Truman Show
Behind Enemy Lines(1st)
Enemy at the gates
Enemy of the State

1. What makes Batman a popular movie?

Batman is a popular movie because of its unique combination of action, drama, and complex characters. The dark and gritty tone of the film, along with its iconic villain, The Joker, has captivated audiences for decades. Additionally, the exploration of themes such as justice, identity, and morality make the story more relatable and thought-provoking.

2. Why is Hachiko considered a heartwarming movie?

Hachiko is considered a heartwarming movie because it tells the true story of a loyal dog who continues to wait for his deceased owner at the train station every day. The film highlights the unconditional love and loyalty between a pet and its owner, making it an emotional and heartwarming experience for viewers.

3. How historically accurate is Braveheart?

While Braveheart is based on the life of Scottish warrior, William Wallace, it is not entirely historically accurate. The film takes many creative liberties and exaggerates certain events for dramatic effect. However, it does capture the overall spirit and themes of the time period, making it a compelling and engaging watch.

4. What makes Batman, Hachiko, and Braveheart stand out as your favorite movies?

These three movies are my favorites because they all have compelling and well-developed characters, strong storytelling, and emotional themes. They also have a unique blend of action, drama, and heart that keeps me engaged and invested in the story every time I watch them.

5. Are there any underlying messages or themes in these movies?

Yes, all three of these movies have underlying messages and themes that can be interpreted differently by viewers. Batman explores themes of justice, identity, and morality. Hachiko highlights the importance of loyalty and unconditional love. Braveheart delves into themes of freedom, bravery, and sacrifice. These deeper messages add depth and complexity to the films, making them more than just entertaining stories.