Fountain Pen Fans - Share Your Favourites!

• Thread starter AureliusUK
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of fountain pens and finding ink for them. The speaker shares their love for fountain pens and mentions receiving one as a gift from their father. They also express difficulty in finding ink, but recommend joining a Facebook group for fountain pen enthusiasts. The conversation also briefly touches on other related hobbies, such as collecting pencils and pencil sharpeners.
AureliusUK
Curious if there are any other fans of fountain pens out there? If so, what are you favourites? What is your work horse? Favourite ink?

Hopefully I'm not alone in this hobby here :)

Likes pinball1970 and Wrichik Basu
Physics news on Phys.org
I love fountain pens. My father gave me a Parker 51 when I graduated. Finding ink Is not so easy.

Likes pinball1970 and Wrichik Basu
Gordianus said:
I love fountain pens. My father gave me a Parker 51 when I graduated. Finding ink Is not so easy.
Great choice!
What issues are you having finding ink?

I still can find bottles of the well known "quink" brand. I'm not an ink expert, I buy it because it comes from Parker

Likes AureliusUK
are you on FaceBook? The group "Fountain Pens" is pretty active.

If you're also interested in pencils, the group "Collecting Vintage Pencils and Pencil Sharpeners" is also active, if occasionally quirky.

• Informative
Likes pinball1970 and AureliusUK
gmax137 said:
are you on FaceBook? The group "Fountain Pens" is pretty active.

If you're also interested in pencils, the group "Collecting Vintage Pencils and Pencil Sharpeners" is also active, if occasionally quirky.
I'll give it a look, thanks!

I had a lovely sharpener but for the life of me I can't find it.

1. What makes fountain pens different from other types of pens?

Fountain pens have a nib that uses capillary action to draw ink from the pen's reservoir onto the paper. This creates a smooth and consistent flow of ink, making writing with a fountain pen a unique and enjoyable experience.

2. What are some common features to look for in a good fountain pen?

A good fountain pen should have a sturdy and well-made nib, a comfortable grip, and a smooth and consistent ink flow. It should also have a reliable filling mechanism and be made from high-quality materials for durability.

3. Can fountain pens be used for everyday writing or are they just for calligraphy?

Fountain pens can be used for everyday writing, from jotting down notes to writing letters or journaling. While they are popular among calligraphers, they are also a great tool for anyone who enjoys a smooth and elegant writing experience.

4. Are fountain pens difficult to maintain?

Fountain pens do require some maintenance, such as cleaning the nib and refilling the ink reservoir. However, with proper care, they can last for years and provide a consistently enjoyable writing experience.

5. What are some tips for beginners looking to try fountain pens?

Start with a lower-priced fountain pen to get a feel for the writing experience before investing in a more expensive one. Experiment with different nib sizes and types to find what works best for your writing style. And don't be afraid to ask for recommendations from other fountain pen enthusiasts!