Register to reply

Mood-altering crystals

by navynuclear
Tags: crystals, moodaltering
Share this thread:
navynuclear
Dec23-11, 11:19 AM
P: 10
What about the claim that crystals can heal or change moods? Total B.S?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Flapping baby birds give clues to origin of flight
Prions can trigger 'stuck' wine fermentations, researchers find
Socially-assistive robots help kids with autism learn by providing personalized prompts
Routaran
Dec23-11, 11:53 AM
P: 292
no not total BS. i'm sure some people will react subjectively. i'd say very close to total bs :)
Ryan_m_b
Dec23-11, 01:21 PM
Mentor
P: 5,472
Quote Quote by navynuclear View Post
Almost absolute rubbish. Regarding healing: no it does not work. Regarding changing moods: well an advocate of crystals would probably be quite happy to get one for Christmas, personally I would be pretty annoyed so there's some mood changes right there but it's totally down to how the person views crystals and not though some magic woo.

FlexGunship
Dec27-11, 08:31 AM
PF Gold
P: 739
Mood-altering crystals

Quote Quote by navynuclear View Post
As far as "change moods" they function in much the same way as a little water foutain, or a USB-powered yapping dog toy, or pretty much anything else. If seeing a crystal changes your moods, then crystals have the power to change your mood.

For me, LOLCats have more mood changing properties than crystals.

Quote Quote by zoobyshoe View Post
Yes, but if I tell you to close your eyes, put out your hand, and ask you what you feel without suggesting any particular sensation, why should you feel a moving heat spot?
Perhaps other individuals experience it in some other way. We have a sample size of one. I would bet that I wouldn't feel anything at all, and someone else might feel a cooling sensation. Maybe you feel whatever you most associate with "healing." Perhaps, in this case, the mark is most used to "heating pads" as a healing method as opposed to "ice packs."

Just an idea.
zoobyshoe
Dec30-11, 09:05 PM
P: 5,630
Crystals are actually bad for you. Derren Brown demonstrates the weakening effect of crystals:

zoobyshoe
Dec30-11, 09:11 PM
P: 5,630
Quote Quote by FlexGunship View Post
Perhaps other individuals experience it in some other way. We have a sample size of one. I would bet that I wouldn't feel anything at all, and someone else might feel a cooling sensation. Maybe you feel whatever you most associate with "healing." Perhaps, in this case, the mark is most used to "heating pads" as a healing method as opposed to "ice packs."

Just an idea.
I guess this got split off from the other thread.

What I understood her to be saying is that she, and everyone she's done this too, has no idea there is a crystal wand involved, and have no idea what she's doing while they have their eyes closed. If, in fact, they see the wand before she asks them to close their eyes and put out their hand, then the power of suggestion is kind of a no-brainer, obvious explanation.
Moonbear
Jan1-12, 12:08 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,270
Depends on the crystal. The crystalline form of a mood-altering drug taken orally would alter mood. Dangling a bit of quartz from a mirror, well, that depends on how easily you're cheered by shiny, dangly things. I've seen many women's moods improve exponentially by the mere presentation of a diamond.
moejoe15
Jan1-12, 11:12 AM
P: 39
Quote Quote by Ryan_m_b View Post
Almost absolute rubbish....
Crystals absolutely 100% can change moods. Just go to a jewelry store with your significant other. Then notice the mood change when you get near the crystallized carbon.

Register to reply