Working out after plastic surgery

• Thread starter jaumzaum
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Plastic
In summary, the conversation revolves around a person who recently had eyelid surgery and was told by the doctor to avoid heavy lifting for 4-6 weeks for proper healing of the scars. The person is struggling with not being able to workout or be physically active during this time and is seeking advice and solutions to minimize the impact on their physical and mental well-being. The conversation also touches upon the use of medications and the types of exercises that may be safe to do during this recovery period. The conversation ends with a reminder to follow the doctor's orders and seek clarification from them if needed.
jaumzaum
Hello guys!

7 days ago I did a Blepharoplasty (eyelid surgery). It's one of the simplest plastic surgeries on the face. However, for my surprise, I was told by the doctor after the surgery that I would have to stay 4-6 weeks without heavy lifting for the scars to heal properly.

I think that type of information should have been given by the doctor before the surgery was done, when I asked him about the post operatory regime. I am a very active person, and I usually workout 2 times a day, 7 days a week. It has been a torture for me staying these 7 days without going to the gym or doing any kind of exercise.

When I searched on the internet for the reason why I shouldn't workout my arm given that the surgery is on the face I found some people saying that working out any part of the body increases your heart rate and blood pressure, and that can be bad for the healing. Also, some inflammatory cytokines (TNF-α, IL-1β, and IL-6) are released during a workout and re bad for the scar.

I know I shouldn't workout, but unfortunately for me this is impossible. I am already extremely distressed from being inside my house doing nothing that I even started on benzos to calm myself down. I am aware of the risks that heavy lifting could do to the scars, but considering that I already made up my mind and nothing is going to change it, I was wondering if anyone with a medical/biochemical background could help me to do that in the least detrimental way possible?

If working out rises blood pressure in the face area, I was thinking if isn't there any antihypertensive medication with short half-life that I could take before working out to minimize the blood pressure rise? Topical medications (if one exists) could be an option too. Or medications that are specific for some area of the body (the face).

About the inflammatory response, what if I work out and keep taking anti-inflammatories? I know that could decrease the muscle growth, but I am not going to the gym only to gain muscle, but also to not become crazy. Many people here could think I am exaggerating on this, but I am not. Consider you do something everyday for 10 years in a regulated way and then suddenly you have to stop completely, would you feel ok about it? I won't.

Also, about the exercises, are there any that don't increase blood pressure very much? What about concentrated exercises in small muscles (for example, the biceps and triceps)? I can stay without working out big muscles for a while, that is no issue.

*** Please don't judge me in this post, I am really looking for help here, and I already made my mind!

Thank you for everyone that could help, even a little!

Biology news on Phys.org
You said "no heavy lifting" workouts, which makes sense to me. Probably no swimming either for a while to lower the risk of infection.

But I would think that normal aerobic exercise like cycling and running should be okay -- have you called the Advice Nurse with that question?

Likes russ_watters
That's rough. I just had a knee meniscus trim and after a 2-week checkup I was given basically zero restrictions ("ease yourself back in as pain/range of motion allows").

However, we can't humor a very non-hypothetical discussion of violating doctor's orders here. Please ask them for clarification/workaround. Thread closed.

Likes berkeman

1. Can I work out immediately after plastic surgery?

It is generally recommended to wait at least 4-6 weeks before resuming any strenuous physical activity after plastic surgery. This allows your body enough time to heal and reduces the risk of complications.

2. Will working out affect my results from plastic surgery?

Working out can actually help improve your results from plastic surgery by toning and strengthening the muscles in the treated area. However, it is important to follow your surgeon's post-operative instructions and avoid any exercises that may put strain on the surgical site.

3. What types of exercises should I avoid after plastic surgery?

High-impact exercises, such as running or weightlifting, should be avoided for at least 4-6 weeks after plastic surgery. You should also avoid any exercises that put strain on the treated area, such as sit-ups or push-ups. Your surgeon will provide specific guidelines for your recovery.

4. How soon can I start lifting weights after plastic surgery?

It is best to wait at least 4-6 weeks before lifting weights after plastic surgery. This allows your body to heal and reduces the risk of complications. When you do start lifting weights again, it is important to start with lighter weights and gradually increase as your body adjusts.

5. Will working out affect my scars from plastic surgery?

Working out should not affect your scars from plastic surgery as long as you follow your surgeon's post-operative care instructions. It is important to keep the surgical site clean and avoid any activities that may put strain on the incision site. If you have any concerns about your scars, consult with your surgeon.