Technical Classes for Engineering

by paul2211
Tags: classes, engineering, technical
Share this thread:
paul2211
Jan28-12, 09:20 AM
P: 27
Hi guys,

I'm just wondering if there's supposed to be a big jump between my foundational calculus and physics classes versus the technical ECE classes...

I found the calculus and physics to be super easy, and I could basically follow the professor's train of thought during the lecture. For my technical classes however, I usually sit there with my mouth open during the whole time. The only reason I go to my lectures now is to know what the prof emphasized so I know what to study afterwards.

So is this normal? Are technical classes tougher, or am I more suited to pursue a math or physics degree? I am a good student with a 3.9 so far, but the technical classes seem very tough. I asked many people in that class, and all of them have no clue of what's going on.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Scientists develop 'electronic nose' for rapid detection of C. diff infection
Why plants in the office make us more productive
Tesla Motors dealing as states play factory poker
Mmm_Pasta
Jan28-12, 12:57 PM
P: 224
For harder classes you should read material before coming to class, use lectures as a review to what you have read and discuss any questions, and review the material again after class using reading materials and class notes and make connections.
sweetpotato
Jan28-12, 02:58 PM
P: 151
Quote Quote by paul2211 View Post
Hi guys,

I'm just wondering if there's supposed to be a big jump between my foundational calculus and physics classes versus the technical ECE classes...

I found the calculus and physics to be super easy, and I could basically follow the professor's train of thought during the lecture. For my technical classes however, I usually sit there with my mouth open during the whole time. The only reason I go to my lectures now is to know what the prof emphasized so I know what to study afterwards.

So is this normal? Are technical classes tougher, or am I more suited to pursue a math or physics degree? I am a good student with a 3.9 so far, but the technical classes seem very tough. I asked many people in that class, and all of them have no clue of what's going on.
If you are getting good grades in your technical classes, and the other students in those classes also find them tough, you are probably suited just fine for ECE. I also found the foundational classes easier than many EE classes. I think sometimes people like to talk about how hard foundational calculus, physics, and chemistry are because they are seen as "weed out" classes. Yes, they weed out students who are not suited for science and engineering, but a good engineering student should be able to cope with them just fine, and may even find them easy, like you.

Register to reply