Physics Research as Electrical Engineer

Frek
Hello, I am a 4th-year student at the Faculty of Electrical Engineering, specializing in Power Electronics and Automation.

I aspire to pursue research in physics. Do you think that obtaining a Master's and Ph.D. in physics, alongside my technical bachelor's degree, could be sufficient for this goal? I am also engaging in extensive reading in the field as a hobby.

I want to mention that during my undergraduate studies, I took courses dedicated to electromagnetic fields, electromagnetic waves, basic physics, n-dimensional algebra, complex mathematical analysis, atomic structure and properties of materials, and chemistry. The rest of the courses were specific to my specialization.

Currently, I am a student in Romania, where the research budget is non-existent. Do you believe it would be a better idea to start anew path with another bachelor's degree in physics?

Thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Since your undergrad program has considerable overlap with a physics undergrad program, a second undergrad degree in physics would likely not be needed.

Where are you planning to do your grad work in physics? In Romania? In another country in which you typically apply to a master's program first and then apply to a separate PhD program upon completion of the master's? Or in the US in which you typically apply to a PhD program upon completion of the bachelor's?

So first develop a candidate list of universities in which you would pursue your grad work in physics. Then look at the admissions requirements. What would it take for you to rectify any deficiencies? And what are your options? Does your current university offer the courses and labs to rectify those deficiencies? If so, would you be allowed to enroll in them, even if you had to stay in your current university longer? If not at your current university, can you enroll in another university as a non-degree student for the additional work?

ETA: What research topics in physics are you interested in? There is physics-related research that you can do with a PhD in Electrical Engineering; so that's another option (depending on the research fields).

Last edited:
I think I can give you an insight because I was in the exact same situation. I got my EE degree worked for 3 years but quit to pursue a physics Masters and hopefully PhD next year. Luckily, EE and physics have a lot in common, both in physics and in math, so adapting was walk in the park.

The first thing I did was to talk to professors to get an insight and literally all of them told me that they have no problem working with me, quite the contrary, some of them said that my coding skills will be very useful specially in the Machine learning, and I ended up picking a research in cosmology, Galactic dynamics and the study of dark matter using machine learning.

The one thing all of the professors said I had to do is pass the faculty interview, and to get interviewed I had to complete 5 courses (analytical mechanics, EM, quantum mechanics 1&2, statistical mechanics). Passed the interview and Now I'm here.

So the first thing I think you should do is talk with professors in a place close to you for insight, then you can email some abroad, most will be happy to talk as well. you'll have a few gaps to fill but you should be good to go. This is based on my experience but I think it will also be applicable to you, good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes CalcNerd, DaveE and berkeman