Charging a computer: power adapter output

by fisico30
Tags: adapter, charging, output, power
Share this thread:
fisico30
Feb7-12, 11:19 AM
P: 374
Hello Forum,

I have a MacPro Apple computer. I just got a new power adapter rated 85 W.
Does it mean that the computer is always drawing 85 W of power does is the power delivered depend on how many programs are open, etc...?

thanks
fisico30
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Wildfires and other burns play bigger role in climate change, professor finds
SR Labs research to expose BadUSB next week in Vegas
New study advances 'DNA revolution,' tells butterflies' evolutionary history
jedishrfu
Feb7-12, 11:37 AM
P: 2,812
info here may help:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0

they mention a fully charged laptop uses about 24W and one recharging 37W so your power adapter is good for this situation. You dont want to draw more wattage than it can support.
fisico30
Feb7-12, 11:44 AM
I see, thank you.

this one was given to me at the Apple store. I guess I was wondering if it continuosly have to draw the amount of power written on the adapter or it depends on the computer activities...

jedishrfu
Feb7-12, 01:07 PM
P: 2,812
Charging a computer: power adapter output

the key parts in a computer the cpu/memory, the disk and the screen with backlighting.

The disk probably draws the most power so constant disk access will drain your battery faster.

Next the lit up screen followed by cpu/memory.

Some cpus can change speeds depending on the processing requirements so a faster speed chews up more power, generates more heat and may cause a fan that also draws power to run.

The most power saving mode is to turn the laptop off and use a piece of paper and pencil. :-)
mathman
Feb7-12, 04:01 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 6,040
Quote Quote by fisico30 View Post
I see, thank you.

this one was given to me at the Apple store. I guess I was wondering if it continuosly have to draw the amount of power written on the adapter or it depends on the computer activities...
In general adapters are designed to handle the maximum plus a safety margin.
fisico30
Feb7-12, 04:54 PM
Ok thanks. I guess we found the answer: if the adapter is rated 85 W, and 1 KWh of energy costs around 15 cents, it does not mean that in 1 hour

85 x 1 hour 1000 x 10 cents per kWh = .850 cents ?

Ok that sounds like nothing, not even a cent? And we are saying that the computer may not even be operating in such a way to be always requiring 85 W, sometimes less...

They say power is expensive? Where is my mistake?

thanks

Register to reply