Charging an iphone with macbook charger

In summary: USB-C adapter for small appliances/computers/phones etc, regardless of the adapter effect etc (within reasonable limits)?
Lobotomy
So I can charge my iphone, with the 61W macbook charger using the USB-C interface. I think the battery won't draw more effect than it needs/is dimensioned for, so this works fine. Can i use any charger with an USB-C interface to charge my iphone?
or does it only work with apple products?

Or more generally, is the circuitry required for this, inside the phone, or inside the adapter? would it be possible to design a product, that can be charged with any type of USB-C adapter for small appliances/computers/phones etc, regardless of the adapter effect etc (within reasonable limits)?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I think the reason Apple moved to the USB-C was due to pressure from EU regarding consolidation of chargers down to a common green standard.

https://www.theverge.com/21522980/a...ning-environment-charger-box-electronic-waste

Also the failure mode on the previous charging connection was in the iPhone connector itself and not in the cable.

remember cleaning out some debris that got into my iphone socket and may have caused some damage to the springy contacts which caused the cable to not sit well and the phone to not charge.

With a USB-C cable the springy contacts are in the cable connector not in the iPhone.

However, apparently Apple has recently decided (May 2020) to not go the USB-C route at all:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordon...ss-charging-upgrade-iphone-11-pro-max-upgrade

Likes davenn
jedishrfu said:
I think the reason Apple moved to the USB-C was due to pressure from EU regarding consolidation of chargers down to a common green standard.

https://www.theverge.com/21522980/a...ning-environment-charger-box-electronic-waste

Also the failure mode on the previous charging connection was in the iPhone connector itself and not in the cable.

remember cleaning out some debris that got into my iphone socket and may have caused some damage to the springy contacts which caused the cable to not sit well and the phone to not charge.

With a USB-C cable the springy contacts are in the cable connector not in the iPhone.

However, apparently Apple has recently decided (May 2020) to not go the USB-C route at all:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordon...ss-charging-upgrade-iphone-11-pro-max-upgrade

ok, that's interesting information but it doesn't really answer my questions...

1. Can I use my Macbook charger to charge my iPhone?

Yes, you can use your Macbook charger to charge your iPhone. Both devices use the same type of charging port, so the charger is compatible.

2. Will charging my iPhone with a Macbook charger damage my phone?

No, it will not damage your phone. The Macbook charger is designed to provide the appropriate amount of power for your iPhone, so it will not overcharge or damage your device.

3. How long does it take to charge an iPhone with a Macbook charger?

The charging time will vary depending on the model of your iPhone and the battery level. Generally, it takes about 2-3 hours for a full charge.

4. Can I charge my iPhone faster with a Macbook charger?

Yes, you may be able to charge your iPhone faster with a Macbook charger compared to the standard iPhone charger. This is because the Macbook charger has a higher wattage output.

5. Is it safe to charge my iPhone with a Macbook charger while using my laptop?

Yes, it is safe to charge your iPhone with a Macbook charger while using your laptop. The charger will not affect the performance of your laptop and both devices can be charged simultaneously.