Slaters Rules and Hunds Rule

• Thread starter Paperfish
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rules
In summary, there is confusion about the relationship between Slater's Rules and Hunds rule. While Slater's Rules group electrons by principal quantum number and spin, Hunds rule states that they do not ascend in this way. This leads to questions about the effective charge of electrons in different orbitals and why Slater's Rules state that they should be in ascending quantum order. The poster is seeking clarification on this topic.
Paperfish
There's something that doesn't make sense to me regarding these two rules. I was hoping someone could pat me on the head and tell me that everything was okay, and that both Slater's Rules and Hunds rule were actually complimentary and correct.

So when beginning to explain Slater's Rules, electrons are grouped by principal quantum number (n), and by their spin (l). Except s and p share the same group. ie:

[1s] [2s, 2p] [3s, 3p] [3d] [4s, 4p], [4d], [4f]

When USING Slaters rules you get the levels of effective charge in constantly decending amounts from [1s] all the way down to [4s]

However... what doesn't make sense to me is Hunds Rule that seems to contradict this. Hunds rule says they DON'T accend by quantum number and spin, but electrons actually fill up like this:

[1s] [2s] [2p] [3s] [3p] [4s] [3d] [4p].....

And that (carrying the sequence on) 4f orbitals don't fill up until AFTER the 6s orbitals.

Would this necessarily suggest that electrons in the 6s orbital have less effective charge than electrons in the 4f orbital? And if so, why on Earth does Slaters Rules state they must be in plain old accending quantum order?

Confused. Can anyone fill me in on this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, just spotted a typo. I meant to say:

When USING Slaters rules you get the levels of effective charge in constantly decending amounts from [1s] all the way down to [4f]Would someone be able to inform me if I've even submitted this to the correct forum?

1. What are Slaters Rules and Hund's Rule?

Slaters Rules and Hund's Rule are two empirical rules used in the study of atomic structure and electronic configuration. They help predict the electronic configuration and properties of atoms based on their position in the periodic table.

2. Who developed Slaters Rules and Hund's Rule?

Slaters Rules were developed by John C. Slater, an American physicist, in the 1930s. Hund's Rule was developed by Friedrich Hund, a German physicist, in the 1920s.

3. What is the purpose of Slaters Rules?

The purpose of Slaters Rules is to provide a framework for predicting the electronic configuration and properties of atoms based on their position in the periodic table. It takes into account the shielding effect of inner electrons on the outer electrons in an atom.

4. How does Hund's Rule explain the arrangement of electrons in an atom?

Hund's Rule states that electrons will occupy orbitals of the same energy level singly, with parallel spins, before pairing up in the same orbital. This explains the stability and arrangement of electrons in an atom's orbitals.

5. What is the relationship between Slaters Rules and periodic trends?

Slaters Rules are based on the trends observed in the periodic table, such as increasing atomic number and atomic radius. They help explain why certain elements have similar electronic configurations and properties, and how these trends change as you move across a period or down a group in the periodic table.