Weakly interacting electrons in an atom

In summary, the discussion focuses on the wavefunction of electrons in atoms and the term symbols used to describe them. While textbooks use term symbols to determine what is disallowed by the Pauli exclusion principle, there seems to be some contradiction on the precise form of the wavefunction and how term symbols are determined. It is suggested that the states could be slater determinants, but there is no general formula for the L, S, and J quantum numbers. Each slater determinant in the superposition individually satisfies the Pauli exclusion principle, but it is unclear how this applies to term symbols. Further discussion is recommended in the Atomic and Condensed Matter forum.
Isaac0427
Insights Author
TL;DR Summary
What is the structure of the wavefunction in multi-electron atoms? Are they slater determinants? If so, how do we determine its angular momentum and spin? And how do we know what term symbols violate Pauli exclusion?
Consider electrons in atom, and let's mostly ignore interactions between the electrons for now. What I mean by that is that the lowest energy level is the doubly degenerate 1s, then the doubly degenerate 2s, then the 6-fold degenerate 2p, etc.

Textbooks like Griffiths use term symbols ##^{2S+1}L_J## to describe the wavefunction. Then, to determine what is disallowed by the Pauli exclusion principle, it says that the wavefunction is a spatial part times a spin part; if the spatial part is symmetric under exchange, the spin part is antisymmetric under exchange, and vice versa. Also, even L is symmetric and odd L is antisymmetric, and for two particles even S is antisymmetric and odd S is symmetric.

I see how this works for two electrons. However, this breaks down quickly when you consider more than two particles. For instance, you can't have a three-particle purely spin state with a spin-1/2 electron. It seems like the full shells are often ignored, but I have yet to see rigorous justification for this; after all, the total wavefunction must be antisymmetric upon exchange of any two electrons in the atom.

So, I was thinking that the states could be, in general, slater determinants. That's what those electron configuration diagrams seem to show. But, if that is the case, is there a general formula for the L, S, and J quantum numbers for a slater determinant? Are those slater determinants even eigenstates of those operators? And, how do we know what term symbols violate Pauli exclusion?

The video below gives a very hand-wavy argument for what term symbols are forbidden by the Pauli exclusion principle, but seems to use slater determinants. This is why I am confused; different sources seem to contradict each other on the precise form of the wavefunction and how we determine which term symbols violate Pauli exclusion.

Thank you in advance!

Likes curious_mind and dextercioby
Physics news on Phys.org
Isaac0427 said:
What is the structure of the wavefunction in multi-electron atoms? Are they slater determinants?
No, they are superpositions (i.e. linear combinations) of slater determinants.
Isaac0427 said:
If so, how do we determine its angular momentum and spin? And how do we know what term symbols violate Pauli exclusion?
Each slater derminant in the superposition individually satisfies Pauli's exclusion principle. So you may restrict your attention to slater determinants. Griffiths and the video you linked probably tell you more about the details than I would be willing to write here.

Isaac0427 said:
So, I was thinking that the states could be, in general, slater determinants. That's what those electron configuration diagrams seem to show. But, if that is the case, is there a general formula for the L, S, and J quantum numbers for a slater determinant? Are those slater determinants even eigenstates of those operators?
Those configuration diagrams focus on single slater determinants. Those are typically not eigenstates of the Hamiltonian, but can still be eigenstates of suitable quantum number operators. (I am too lazy at the moment to lookup some of the more subtle details, maybe L, S, and J are all just fine, I am just not sure.)

There is also a

Atomic and Condensed Matter

forum here, where people might be less lazy when it comes to details.

Likes PeroK, malawi_glenn and vanhees71
gentzen said:
Each slater derminant in the superposition individually satisfies Pauli's exclusion principle. So you may restrict your attention to slater determinants. Griffiths and the video you linked probably tell you more about the details than I would be willing to write here.
Right, I am talking about the term symbols -- i.e., for carbon ##^3D## is forbidden, since #L# is even and #S# is odd. I don't know how that works.
gentzen said:
There is also a

Atomic and Condensed Matter

forum here, where people might be less lazy when it comes to details.
Perhaps a mentor can move this post there, if it is appropriate.

1. What is the role of weakly interacting electrons in an atom?

Weakly interacting electrons play a crucial role in determining the chemical and physical properties of an atom. They are responsible for the formation of chemical bonds, which determine the stability and reactivity of the atom.

2. How do weakly interacting electrons differ from strongly interacting electrons?

Weakly interacting electrons have a lower energy level and are less tightly bound to the nucleus compared to strongly interacting electrons. This makes them more likely to participate in chemical reactions and bond formation.

3. Can weakly interacting electrons be found in the nucleus of an atom?

No, weakly interacting electrons are only found in the electron cloud surrounding the nucleus. The nucleus contains only strongly interacting particles, such as protons and neutrons.

4. How do weakly interacting electrons contribute to the overall stability of an atom?

Weakly interacting electrons help to balance out the positive charge of the nucleus, making the atom more stable. They also contribute to the overall electronic configuration of the atom, which determines its chemical and physical properties.

5. What types of interactions can weakly interacting electrons have with other particles?

Weakly interacting electrons can participate in a variety of interactions, including electrostatic interactions, exchange interactions, and van der Waals interactions. These interactions play a crucial role in determining the behavior of electrons in an atom.