Mass spectrometer with a Lead element

In summary, the Lead element in a mass spectrometer has an electronic configuration of 1s^2 2s^2 2p^6 3s^2 3p^6 3d^10 4s^2 4p^6 4d^10 5s^2 5p^6 4f^14 5d^10 6s^2 6p^2. The plates' charges must be reversed in order to accelerate the electrons. The 1 μA beam current is telling you how many atoms/second are passing through the accelerator region.
You're right. The original problem didn't ask you to use the neutron mass, it just said, "The mass difference between two isotopes is sometimes just a neutron mass. The spectrometer should separate them very well."

Likes requied
Physics news on Phys.org
phyzguy said:
You're right. The original problem didn't ask you to use the neutron mass, it just said, "The mass difference between two isotopes is sometimes just a neutron mass. The spectrometer should separate them very well."
Would you like to add something else? Because I am starting over to do the homework.

requied said:
Would you like to add something else? Because I am starting over to do the homework.
I think you've got the idea. A couple of things to remember:
(1) Clearly state the assumptions you are making.
(2) Make sure to keep enough significant figures so the error in your final answer is less than 10%, especially when subtracting two similar sized numbers like r2-r1.
(3) Always include the units!

Likes requied
phyzguy said:
I think you've got the idea. A couple of things to remember:
(1) Clearly state the assumptions you are making.
(2) Make sure to keep enough significant figures so the error in your final answer is less than 10%, especially when subtracting two similar sized numbers like r2-r1.
(3) Always include the units!
Thanks for everything ! All the best

In velocity selector region, the question says "determine" but I did it like this below. I chose the voltage necessarily. Is there another way to determine these values?
1591802065885.png

And also, how can I calculate power of this voltage supply? This can be thought of a capacitor?