Register to reply

Digital scratch pad?

by daigo
Tags: digital, scratch
Share this thread:
daigo
Feb13-12, 04:33 PM
P: 27
I use a LOT of paper to do scratch work for school (math/physics especially). Instead of using so much paper, is there a digital version of paper where I can maybe use a stylus-type utencil as a digital writing tool for the "digital paper" and erase easily/prevent accidental erasures, maybe some undo functions and the ability to "scroll" to a larger sheet of paper? Something like an iPad might be too small but I've never owned one so I can't tell its size, but it's sure as heck expensive to use as just a digital scratch paper. Is there anything built specifically for mathematicians or students?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Experts defend operational earthquake forecasting, counter critiques
EU urged to convert TV frequencies to mobile broadband
Sierra Nevada freshwater runoff could drop 26 percent by 2100
Greg Bernhardt
Feb13-12, 06:16 PM
Admin
P: 9,575
Quote Quote by daigo View Post
I use a LOT of paper to do scratch work for school (math/physics especially). Instead of using so much paper, is there a digital version of paper where I can maybe use a stylus-type utencil as a digital writing tool for the "digital paper" and erase easily/prevent accidental erasures, maybe some undo functions and the ability to "scroll" to a larger sheet of paper? Something like an iPad might be too small but I've never owned one so I can't tell its size, but it's sure as heck expensive to use as just a digital scratch paper. Is there anything built specifically for mathematicians or students?
You won't likely find many good cheap options. Tablets are not specializing yet because they are still new and companies want a broad market.

The Galaxy has a stylus and very good reviews
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Galaxy...FMSMP7NCTENXSG
daigo
Feb13-12, 08:19 PM
P: 27
I guess tablets are expensive because of all the extra features...I don't need any software/programs or internet/wifi on the thing, but if old school writing on looseleaf is still faster than this tablet thing, then I guess I'll stick to killing trees for now.

robphy
Feb14-12, 12:47 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 4,137
Digital scratch pad?

Boogie Board
http://www.amazon.com/iMPROV-Electro.../dp/B002ZE4TDI
limited features... but not too expensive
MATLABdude
Feb15-12, 06:51 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 1,724
I used to just go to the recycling bins around the printers / photocopiers at my school, grab a bunch of discarded single-sided print outs (or better yet, pages with pretty minimal printing), and then staple them together. Lots of offices also have old glue-bound stationary they'd be happy to part with, as do take-out restaurants. Once used up, I just dumped them back off in the recycling bins from whence they came. Good for your homework, good for your municipality and the environment!

Register to reply