Finding Small Math Textbooks for a Physics/Math Student

In summary: I guess. What is missing from Cartan are the many exercises that Knopp has. So, this would be a good start, and the exercises in Knopp, the ones I've seen, are done with care and are instructive. After Cartan, you will need a second book, but it will be a lot easier from there. I don't see an English translation on Amazon, but a Dover edition from the French would be do-able.In summary, the conversation discusses a first-year physics student looking for small textbooks on mathematical topics to supplement their studies. They mention wanting books on topics not covered in their courses, such as linear algebra, differential equations, introduction to analysis, differential geometry,
jamalkoiyess
Hello PF,
i am a first year physics student and i am taking a minor in math also, i have now a solid background in the 3 levels of calculus.
I am searching for small textbooks about some mathematical topics, like in the range from 100 to 300 pages at max, as i am trying to fill my little spare time with something useful, but not overwhelming. I would also like the topics to not be covered in my courses as i don't want to study the same thing twice.
I am planing to take: Linear algebra, Differential equations, Introduction to analysis, Differential geometry, and maybe topology. So give me advice outside of those topics, or just in the same topic but other directions.
Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Introduction to Topology 2e by Gamelin and Greene is my favorite introduction to topology now. It's 256 pages, and covers what I consider to be the most important introductory material without feeling too brief.

I can't think of any of my favorite textbooks in the other topics you mentioned that are under 300 pages.

Likes Demystifier and jamalkoiyess
The Bill said:
I can't think of any of my favorite textbooks in the other topics you mentioned that are under 300 pages.

No i meant that i want books about different topics than the ones mentioned

Ah, I was a bit tired when I answered earlier, sorry.

Naive Lie Theory by John Stillwell is a lovely introduction to Lie Groups, Lie Algebras and the exponential map using matrix groups. 217pp.

A Book of Set Theory by Pinter is a nice introduction to modern set theory including the Axiom of Choice. 256 pp.

An Introduction to Lebesgue Integration and Fourier Series by Howard J. Wilcox is a nice introduction to Lebesgue integration. 192 pp.

If you want a supplemental book on topology, Topology by Klaus Jänich covers a lot of the intuition of basic concepts in topology well. 193 pp.

Pinter's A Book of Abstract Algebra is 400 pages, but it has the "feel" of a thin book.

Likes jamalkoiyess
Inside the list: Farlow's Partial Differential Equations for Scientists and Engineers is structured in mostly independent chapters than can be read in very little spare time.

Outside of the list: The Book of Numbers, by... well, you'll find out by who.
And you might find intriguing many books by Nahin.

And BTW: "studying the same thing twice"? There is not such a thing. You look at it by a different vantage point.

Likes Jon Richfield and jamalkoiyess
Topics I think you are missing if you are a physics major / math minor:

*complex analysis. Very useful for physics - if you will be taking a math-methods for physics course that covers this topic then skip this. I'm not sure what the best "short" book is, though. Churchill and Brown is longer than 300, but you can skip the last couple chapters and still get a good background. It also feels thin, and is relatively easy reading. Used copies of old editions are fine:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0070109052/?tag=pfamazon01-20

* Probability theory. This is an important topic. Ross's book feels thin, but is more than 300 pages. I really like it, but not everyone does. Old editions are fine:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0024038504/?tag=pfamazon01-20

For both of those topics there longer books that are better, and probably easier (and perhaps quicker) to read. I also own books on these topics that are <300 pages but will take much longer to read than the ones listed above.

* Fourier analysis and distribution theory (generalized functions). I really like Strichartz's book. The first 5 chapters cover the basics in < 80 pages and are easy reading. It doesn't get any easier, I think.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/9812384308/?tag=pfamazon01-20
Lots of physicists prefer Lighthill for this topic. It has a lot to offer as well, but I find it harder to read. It follows a different approach than Strichartz, and is <110 pages:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0521091284/?tag=pfamazon01-20
EDIT: forgot about Folland, which is >300 pages but takes a more broad view, and would teach you how to really use Fourier analysis to solve the kinds of boundary value problems you will see in physics. Strichartz covers boundary value problems too, but to a much lesser degree. It really requires you know some complex analysis, though:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0821847902/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Jason

Last edited:
Likes jamalkoiyess
SredniVashtar said:
And BTW: "studying the same thing twice"? There is not such a thing. You look at it by a different vantage point.

Never looked at it this way. Thank you.

Ordinary Differential Equations by Carrier and Pearson. This one is different than most of the other ODE texts for undergraduates will probably give you a different perspective than what you gain in the classroom.

Application of Green's functions in science and engineering by Greenberg. Short but enlightening and furthermore readable.

A first course in wavelets with Fourier analysis by Boggess. Good place to start.

Introduction to Tensor Analysis and the Calculus of Moving Surfaces by Grinfeld. Friendly approach.

Sequences and Series by J.A. Green. Builds up slowly rather than the approach used in Calculus texts.

A radical approach to real analysis by Bressoud. Inspiring to say the least.

COMPLEX ANALYSIS (read in order):

Elements of the theory of functions (~150 pages) by Knopp. Will prepare you for the next two of the sequence.

Theory of functions (2 volumes both ~200 pages each) by Knopp

Functions of a Complex Variable: Theory and Technique by Carrier, Krook, and Pearson. This is similar to Churchill's book but much better in my opinion. Includes a chapter on asymptotics. Moves rather quickly though which is why I would wait until after at least the first Knopp book.

Likes Demystifier and jamalkoiyess
Complex analysis is a curious subject in that almost all books on the topic are good, possibly because the original treatments were excellent, or that the subject is so beautiful. But having said that, my favorite by far for a small treatment is the book by Henri Cartan. For some reason, perfectly constructed as they are, the little books by Knopp have never helped me at all, just goes in one ear and out the other.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0486685438/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Likes jamalkoiyess
the basic fact that complex analysis is so nice is the miracle that all complex differentiable functions are equal to their taylor series, and functions given by a power series have very nice properties. A lot of books begin with the definition of complex differentiable functions and then work hard to show they equal their taylor series.

in hindsight one should kniow something about series, and why they behave so well. the book of cartan begins with a discussion of series, which i think is very useful. another good book along those lines is the book of serge lang. books that focus entirely on the integral aspect tend to be harder to understand in my opinion, like ahlfors and maybe knopp.

also those books do a terrible job of explaining my favorite subject, riemann surfaces, which cartan does beautifully, although very minimally.

the book i could actually understand, as a student, is the one by frederick greenleaf. it opened my eyes, but may not be as short as you asked for. still it is worth it, and very clear, easier in fact than the books of cartan and lang to read as a student.

Likes deskswirl, jamalkoiyess and Saph
SredniVashtar said:
Outside of the list: The Book of Numbers, by... well, you'll find out by who.

Is the book written by Copernicus ??

jamalkoiyess said:
Is the book written by Copernicus ??

I'm pretty sure SredniVashtar meant the one by John H. Conway and Richard Guy.

Likes SredniVashtar
@mathwonk just curious what you thought of the three (translated) volumes by Markushevich? I have a copy weighing down my shelf but haven't gotten a chance to read it yet.

1. How do I know which math textbooks are appropriate for a physics/math student?

The best way to determine if a math textbook is appropriate for a physics/math student is to check the content and level of the book. Look for textbooks that cover topics such as calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations, as these are essential for a physics/math student. Additionally, consider the level of the book, whether it is introductory or advanced, and if it aligns with the student's current knowledge and abilities.

2. Where can I find small math textbooks for a physics/math student?

There are several places where you can find small math textbooks for a physics/math student. You can check online booksellers like Amazon or Barnes and Noble, as well as online textbook marketplaces like Chegg or Textbooks.com. You can also check with your local college or university bookstore or library to see if they have any small math textbooks available.

3. How can I ensure that the math textbooks I choose are high quality?

To ensure that the math textbooks you choose are of high quality, look for books that have been published by reputable publishers, have positive reviews from other students and educators, and are recommended by experts in the field. You can also consider consulting with a math or physics professor for their recommendations.

4. Can I purchase digital versions of small math textbooks for a physics/math student?

Yes, many math textbooks are available in digital formats, such as e-books or PDFs. These can often be purchased or rented at a lower cost than physical textbooks. Additionally, digital textbooks are often more portable and can save space compared to physical books.

5. Are there any resources or websites that can help me find small math textbooks for a physics/math student?

Yes, there are several resources and websites that can help you find small math textbooks for a physics/math student. Some popular resources include Goodreads, which provides reviews and recommendations for textbooks, and OpenStax, which offers free, peer-reviewed textbooks for various math and science subjects. You can also search for specific textbooks on Google or other search engines to find the best deals and options.