Register to reply

Queen's for Master's?

by Sabariel
Tags: master, queen
Share this thread:
Sabariel
Feb11-12, 10:57 AM
P: 1
I'm just finishing up my undergrad physic with a specialization in nuclear and particle physics. Looking forward to grad school.

Does Queen's have a good graduate physics program?

Background:

I've received what looks like a great offer from Queen's for my Master's, working on the SNO+ project. I've also applied at UBC because of TRIUMF.

Now, I know UBC is highly ranked. But there are other factors in this decision.

On the financial side, cost of living in Kingston is about half that of Vancouver. I'm a homebody, so I'm not worried about the lack of "things to do" in Kingston. Throw in the huge difference in TA hour requirements (108hrs/semester at Queen's vs about 160hrs/semester at UBC), and that means a lot less first year labs to grade, which means more time for my own studies.

Also, I'm not good with big cities. I have a couple cats that I'm not willing to give up, and it's impossible to find housing near UBC campus that allows pets. So I'd be looking at a 90 minute commute from Surrey or Burnaby, which is less than appealing. In the middle of winter, I found 6 apartments under $800 within walking distance to Queen's. I assume that would go up in the summer.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Hoverbike drone project for air transport takes off
Earlier Stone Age artifacts found in Northern Cape of South Africa
Study reveals new characteristics of complex oxide surfaces
AndersonMD
Feb16-12, 11:24 AM
P: 50
Yes, SNO+ is a very prestigious project, and Kingston is a wonderful city to live in, despite what the Toronto kids will tell you.

Register to reply