Recognition of German degrees at Canadian grad schools

In summary, an applicant needs a 4-year Bachelor degree "or equivalent", plus a 2-year Master to apply to a Canadian graduate school. If you have a 3+2 degree from a similar academic system, you may be able to apply with a workload equivalent to four years of study.
fisicist
Hi everyone!

I've got a question about recognition chances of my German degrees at Canadian grad schools. Ideally there would be people out there who did their Bachelor+Master in Germany or in a country with a similar academic system (3+2 years, Master as a precondition to Ph.D. rather than an alternative) and applied for a doctoral program at a Canadian grad school...
My situation is the following: I'm currently finishing my 1st year of my Master at Munich University, Germany, and I would like to apply for a Math Ph.D. program in Canada, ideally Toronto or Vancouver. Now the information from the UBC Vancouver website tell me that an applicant needs a 4-year Bachelor degree "or equivalent", plus a 2-year Master... And here is my problem. I did my Bachelor at Heidelberg University, so naturally it was a 3-year program with prescribed 180 ECTS points (30 ECTS points = workload for 1 semester). However, I completed my Bachelor within the 3 years with a margin of 60 ECTS points, therefore a workload equivalent to four years of study (I took every lecture that I was interested in, regardless of where or whether I would get credits for it). These modules are all listed on my Bachelor certificate, the grades I had on them influenced my final grade just like any other module, and I used none of them for my Master. In fact I would not be able to use them even if I wanted to. (I don't really know why I insisted to do this. Most students who have completed more modules than necessary take them for their Master, I'm certainly an exception in this regard. But now I've got some hope that it could turn out useful for something)
Does anyone have experience with a situation similar to mine and could tell me what my admission chances would be?

Physics news on Phys.org
Typically the European 3+2 master's degree is taken on par with the Canadian 4 year plus masters when assessing PhD applicants from that background.

I suspect the reason a 4 year degree is specified is because some Canadian schools offer 3 year degrees that are not generally intended to prepare the student for graduate school and tend to give a more "liberal arts with a concentration in ____" type of education.

If you have any concerns, just contact the specific schools you're interested in. They will give you a definitive answer.

Likes fisicist
I'm sorry, I just realized I forgot to thank you... I found your response very helpful, so thank you very much! ...a little late. :|

1. What is the process for recognizing a German degree at a Canadian grad school?

The process for recognizing a German degree at a Canadian grad school varies depending on the specific institution and program. Generally, the first step is to research the specific requirements and application process for the grad school you are interested in. Some schools may require an evaluation of your German degree by an accredited agency, while others may have their own internal recognition process. It is important to plan ahead and allow enough time for this process as it can take several weeks or even months.

2. Are all German degrees recognized at Canadian grad schools?

No, not all German degrees are automatically recognized at Canadian grad schools. Each institution has its own criteria for recognition, and some degrees may not meet the specific requirements. It is important to research and confirm the recognition of your specific degree at the grad school you are interested in.

3. Will my German degree be considered equivalent to a Canadian degree?

The recognition of a German degree at a Canadian grad school does not necessarily mean that it will be considered equivalent to a Canadian degree. The recognition process typically involves assessing the level and content of your degree, and it may be deemed equivalent, partially equivalent, or not equivalent at all. This decision is at the discretion of the grad school and can vary depending on the program.

4. Are there any additional requirements for international students with a German degree?

Yes, international students with a German degree may be required to meet additional requirements such as English language proficiency tests, visa and immigration requirements, and financial documentation. It is important to research and fulfill all the necessary requirements for international students at your chosen grad school.

5. Can I appeal the decision if my German degree is not recognized at a Canadian grad school?

Yes, you may be able to appeal the decision if your German degree is not recognized at a Canadian grad school. Each institution will have its own appeal process, which may involve submitting additional documentation or providing evidence of the equivalency of your degree. It is important to carefully follow the instructions and deadlines for appealing the decision.