Bachelors in physics and engphys masters, or vice versa?

In summary: Physics majors at U of T and McGill will get a good education in physics, regardless of what school they attend.
yesno112233
Should I get a physics bachelors degree and then a engineering physics masters? or a engineering physics bachelors and a physics masters? or should i just go bacherlos and masters engphys, or should i do both bachelors and masters phys. Which is best in terms of salary and job oppurtunities.
My dream is to work for a company like intel, ibm etc. developing a new product; somewhere where i can share my innovative thoughts. However, The best job i can possibly think of having is to be a physics professor, because physics is where my passion lies. But, the path to getting tenure is a very difficult and pain-staking path or so I've heard. ( I plan on getting a phd anyways) I don't want to turn 40 and still be paying off my graduate debts with a meager TA salary.
Im from a toronto high school and have a 91~93 average.I am hoping to either go to ubc uoft waterloo or mcgill, but not sure which school to choose. This is because i don't know what MAJOR to choose as i know that uoft/waterloo are best for engineering whereas mcgill and ubc are more about the physics.

Please correct me if any of the information in this question is false and thank you
P.s. What are my chances in getting into these schools with my marks? (already got accepted to waterloo)

Physics news on Phys.org
I know a few people who went to work at intel. They have more options open for chemists and engineers than they do physicists, but they do hire PhD physicists.

I say forget the masters in physics...unless its an applied physics, professional science type degree. Then its an engineering degree dressed up as a physics degree, for physics majors to get into engineering. If you want a job in industry, get the right degree. Dont mess around with physics.

The "best" in terms of salary and job opportunities is engineering, not physics. Only do physics if you think you want to go for a PhD in physics.

Last edited:
so, what school would you recommend for my bachelors?

In the US? If you want industry jobs you should definitely look for one that touts industry internships in your department. That would probably be one near a population center or even a kind of "tech center" (silicon valley, research triangle, etc.). This could be a place to start; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_technology_centers#Americas Those kinds of places often employ and intern from local universities.

But if you want a to do a PhD in physics then you generally want to do research as an undergrad rather than internships. That is what graduate admissions committees are looking for. In this case you should check out the possible research opportunities within various universities.

As far as course work goes its pretty standard across the board and barring outliers one school is as good as the next.

I would recommend considering all your options carefully before making a decision. There is no one "best" path in terms of salary and job opportunities, as it ultimately depends on your individual skills, interests, and the job market at the time of your graduation.

If your dream is to work for companies like Intel or IBM, it may be beneficial to pursue a degree in engineering physics, as it combines both physics and engineering principles that are highly valued in the tech industry. However, if your passion lies in physics and you see yourself as a physics professor in the future, then pursuing a physics degree may be the best option for you.

In terms of getting into specific schools, your grades are just one aspect that admissions committees consider. Other factors such as your personal statement, letters of recommendation, and extracurricular activities also play a role. It is important to do your research on each school's specific requirements and make sure you meet them.

Ultimately, it is important to choose a path that aligns with your interests and goals. Whether it is a bachelors and masters in engineering physics, physics, or a combination of both, what matters most is your dedication and passion for the subject. Good luck with your decision and future studies!

Related to Bachelors in physics and engphys masters, or vice versa?

1. What is the difference between a Bachelor's in Physics and a Bachelor's in Engineering Physics?

A Bachelor's in Physics typically focuses on the fundamental principles and theories of physics, while a Bachelor's in Engineering Physics combines physics with engineering coursework, such as mechanics, materials science, and thermodynamics.

2. Can I pursue a Master's in Engineering Physics if I have a Bachelor's in Physics?

Yes, many universities offer a Master's program in Engineering Physics specifically for students with a Bachelor's in Physics. However, you may be required to take additional coursework to fill in any gaps in engineering knowledge.

3. Is a Bachelor's in Physics or a Bachelor's in Engineering Physics better for pursuing a career in research?

It depends on your specific research interests. A Bachelor's in Physics may provide a stronger foundation in theoretical physics, while a Bachelor's in Engineering Physics may be more beneficial for research in applied physics and engineering fields.

4. What job opportunities are available for graduates with a Bachelor's in Physics and a Master's in Engineering Physics?

Graduates with these degrees may pursue careers in a variety of fields, including research and development, aerospace, materials science, renewable energy, and telecommunications. They may also work as engineers, physicists, or consultants.

5. Can I switch from a Bachelor's in Physics to a Master's in Engineering Physics or vice versa?

Yes, it is possible to switch between these two degrees. However, you may need to take additional coursework to meet the requirements for the new degree. It is important to consult with your academic advisor to determine the best path for your individual academic and career goals.