how many languages can you speak

by BLUE66Rose
Tags: languages, speak
BLUE66Rose
Feb27-12, 01:12 AM
P: 2
How many language can you say?
English and a litter bit Chinese I can say.

I am 26 year old I plan to study Japanese, I am too old to learn it?
Phys.Org News Partner Social sciences news on Phys.org
When identity marketing backfires: Consumers don't like to be told what they like
Charitable donation discrepancies: Why are some countries more generous than others?
Online reviews: When do negative opinions boost sales?
BLUE66Rose
Feb29-12, 02:26 AM
P: 2
2 English and a litter Chinese. it is said that someone can speak 9 .wow.
Bobbywhy
Feb29-12, 09:10 PM
PF Gold
P: 1,852
My first language is English. I have spoken Korean, Persian (Farsi), Turkish, Mandarin, Arabic, and Portuguese. This is because I have lived, worked, and studied the language in each of those countries where those languages are used. It is my opinion that it would have been impossible for me to learn these languages had I stayed here in the USA. I read and write all of these except Mandarin because the Chinese characters were deemed too hard to learn...and I agree with that.

That makes a total of seven spoken languages. When a new language is learned those langauges previously used tend to fade deeper into my memory. But if I begin to review and practice it again, that language comes right back to the "foreground" and it becomes usable again.

DaveC426913
Feb29-12, 09:13 PM
P: 15,325

how many languages can you speak

JavaScript, VB, Java, PHP (with a heavy accent)...
Borek
Mar1-12, 02:28 AM
Admin
P: 22,656
One. But I write in two.
M Quack
Mar1-12, 02:59 AM
P: 635
German, English (or linear approximation thereof), C, broken C++ and LaTeX. I started to learn French when I was 30 and Python when I was 35 or so. You are never too old, it is just a question of motivation. Not being ablt to buy your "pain au chocolat" in a half-way dignified way is a strong motivation...
Bobbywhy
Aug19-12, 07:25 PM
PF Gold
P: 1,852
We know small children learn languages easily. You are exactly right that adults can learn new languages also. There is definitely no age limit if the person is interested and uses some effort to learn. One clear advantage of learning new languages: you learn about their attitudes, values, and beliefs also. This helps us during globalization! Good luck!
Woopydalan
Aug20-12, 01:36 PM
P: 746
English and I am moderately fluent in spanish
Pythagorean
Aug28-12, 03:13 PM
PF Gold
P: 4,180
English and Mathematics
Andre
Sep3-12, 10:11 AM
PF Gold
P: 5,450
Although it's completely irrevant that I'm familiar with four langauges (Dutch, English, German, French oh and assembler Motorola 860x0 but that's a dead language from the dark ages in the battle of 16bit microsoft to 32bit killing Atari and Commodore Amiga, only Apple survived that), I mainly post here to get rid of that dead link at the entrance here to an non existing thread about "the flip side of scientific..." whatever.
Brainiac2
Oct2-12, 08:02 PM
P: 21
Speak and write and read both English and Spanish fluently. Can understand and read some Italian and and a bit more of Portuguese.
dimasalang
Oct2-12, 11:30 PM
P: 18
English, Tagalog, Spanish
Avichal
Oct3-12, 08:28 AM
P: 282
English, Hindi and C(C++ and more to join soon in my list)
ImaLooser
Oct4-12, 04:56 AM
P: 571
Quote Quote by BLUE66Rose View Post
How many language can you say?
English and a litter bit Chinese I can say.

I am 26 year old I plan to study Japanese, I am too old to learn it?
English, German, Indonesian. Ability to learn a language declines gradually after age 5 or so. I learned Indonesian at age 48 but I'm not all that good at it. It is just a great deal of memorization. Children do this effortlessly. Adults, not.

Indonesian though is easier than Japanese. Kanji is a barrier.
surajt88
Oct4-12, 10:36 AM
P: 76
I can speak Tamil, English, Tulu, Hindi, Kannada and Malayalam, all Indian. I can speak all of these fluently, but I have to get accustomed to the region for a day or two before I can do it. Guess this glitch comes with knowing this many languages.
RabbitWho
Oct30-12, 01:58 PM
P: 102
English - mother tongue
Pretty good Spanish (B2)
I used to speak a good bit of Czech but I've forgotten most of it now (was B1)
Really beginners levels of Russian, German, and Irish. I could get by in Russia or Germany but I couldn't make friends or influence people.
enosis_
Nov3-12, 11:58 PM
P: 120
English with a bit of Greek, Spanish and Italian...
nauru
Feb18-13, 11:18 AM
P: 3
Personally I can read many languages but only have an in-depth oral conversation in two: English and French.

Register to reply