What are some tips for finding a language partner?

• Lingusitics
  • Thread starter NoodleDurh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Language
In summary: gha...I'm sorry, that's inappropriate for a discussion about Japanese language learning.I was joking and so was he. Let me guess, you haven't seen Yu YU Hakusho have you? The protagonist Uramashi curses a lot....gha...I'm sorry, that's inappropriate for a discussion about Japanese language learning.
NoodleDurh
Come ye, Come ye. Hear me, hear me!

I am looking for a language partner, mainly in any of the following languages:
Japanese
Chinese
English*
French
German

If you know the language or you just want to learn them, if you know any online forums on which I can learn these languages. Please, Please! send me a link in the pm, I am trying to immerse myself inside of the language and possibly get some ideas on how the cultures work. :)

Again, Thank you in far advance :)

Your Friendly Neuronaut,
Noodle D.

Science news on Phys.org
Try Memrise.com and the http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/foreign-languages-and-literatures. I found an open source application for japanese just yesterday:
http://zkanji.sourceforge.net/
But right now kanji continues to elude me and I now don't have anymore extra time to pursue it. No idea about forums though.

P.S. Fish?

Thank you so much! and what do you mean Fish o.o' what is that? a code word or something

This:
jtbell said:
Welcome!

What's your favorite fish, by the way?

Gad said:
Welcome to PF Noodle. I hope you enjoy it here. :)

Yeah, tell us your favourite fish?

dlgoff said:
Welcome to Physics Forums. About your favorite fish? You probably like the big fish, right?

Noodling :biggrin:

! I forgot about that thread do you think you could give me a link to it >///<

I like rainbow fishes... childhood memories Q~Q

but o.o' I got to try that some time! it looks epic!

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=734843
You can find threads you have participated in My PF tab on the top of the page and you can also find the place a post is quoted from if you click on the arrow button next to the name of the author in the post.

NoodleDurh said:
Come ye, Come ye. Hear me, hear me!

I am looking for a language partner, mainly in any of the following languages:
Japanese
Chinese
English*
French
German

If you know the language or you just want to learn them, if you know any online forums on which I can learn these languages. Please, Please! send me a link in the pm, I am trying to immerse myself inside of the language and possibly get some ideas on how the cultures work. :)

Again, Thank you in far advance :)

Your Friendly Neuronaut,
Noodle D.
First hint "wanna" and "gotta" are not acceptable words in English, it's terrible slang. Please do not use them on this forum.

May I ask what your native language is?

Last edited:
Evo said:
First hint "wanna" and "gotta" are not acceptable words in English, it's terrible slang. Please do not use them on this forum.

Hmm... "WannabeNewton" might "wanna" say a few words about that. :rofl:

How are you going to practice your pronounciation? You might be able to read/write those languages, but you'll never be able to speak them or be understood if you learn them soley online.

Curious3141 said:
Hmm... "WannabeNewton" might "wanna" say a few words about that. :rofl:
He has a Hall Pass.

dipole said:
How are you going to practice your pronounciation? You might be able to read/write those languages, but you'll never be able to speak them or be understood if you learn them soley online.

What are japanese anime for?
:tongue:
Okay, memrise has verbal as well as visual cues, though granted they may not be enough.

Last edited:
Evo said:
He has a Hall Pass.

Ah. That changes everything.

dipole said:

That is true, but there is always internet dictionaries :)

Curious3141 said:
Ah. That changes everything.

How do I get thise "Hall Pass", Must I become shakespear? :3

Enigman said:
What are japanese anime for?
:tongue:
Okay, memrise has verbal as well as visual cues, though granted they may not be enough.

Thanks for those, and indeed japanese anime is perfect for how to say things, mimic Yusuke Urameshi (lol)

I don t recommend learning Japanese from animes. Every single japanese person will go black belt karate on your sorry behind because of the way you are talking to them. Distinguish between formal and informal speech - anime is not good for that. It's kind of useful once you have got the basics down such as hiragana+katakana and watch anime with subtitles, but to outright learn from scratch from animes - do not suggest doing that.

lendav_rott said:
I don t recommend learning Japanese from animes. Every single japanese person will go black belt karate on your sorry behind because of the way you are talking to them. Distinguish between formal and informal speech - anime is not good for that. It's kind of useful once you have got the basics down such as hiragana+katakana and watch anime with subtitles, but to outright learn from scratch from animes - do not suggest doing that.

I was joking and so was he. Let me guess, you haven't seen Yu YU Hakusho have you? The protagonist Uramashi curses a lot. http://yuyuhakusho.wikia.com/wiki/Yusuke_Urameshi

What is a language partner?

A language partner is someone who you can practice speaking and learning a new language with. They are typically a native speaker of the language you are trying to learn and can provide real-life conversation practice and cultural insights.

How can I find a language partner?

There are several ways to find a language partner. You can join online language exchange platforms, attend language exchange events in your city, or reach out to friends or acquaintances who are native speakers of the language you want to learn.

What are the benefits of having a language partner?

Having a language partner can greatly enhance your language learning experience. They can provide you with real-life conversation practice, correct your mistakes, and introduce you to new vocabulary and cultural nuances.

What should I look for in a language partner?

When looking for a language partner, it is important to find someone who is patient, understanding, and willing to help you improve. They should also have a good command of the language and be able to provide constructive feedback.

How often should I meet with my language partner?

The frequency of meetings with your language partner will depend on your schedule and the availability of your partner. It is recommended to meet at least once a week for consistent practice and progress, but you can also adjust the frequency based on your needs and goals.