English is not normal, says John McWhorter

In summary: take a look at some of the other differences between English and other languages.As English began as a German dialect, it should come as no surprise that there are many words which are difficult to translate literally. For example, "geardagum" is a difficult word to translate into other languages, as it means both "tribe-kings" and "days of yore." Another difference between English and other languages is the way that words are borrowed. For example, "sassenach" is a word which has been borrowed from French, and is pronounced similarly to "English." However, this is not the only borrowed word which English has borrowed. For example, "brea" is a word which
Mark44 said:
What I'm saying is that I believe the list is longer in English than in many or most other languages
Williams, Joseph M. (1986). Origins of the English Language: A Social and Linguistic History gives the vocabulary of English as:
26% "native" Germanic
29% Latin
29% Old French
6% Greek

All other languages across the world contribute about 6%. So English also mostly borrowed from nearby languages, namely Latin, Old French and Greek.

Mark44 said:
Your example of Ukrainian lists words from peoples from more-or-less nearby areas, such as the Mongols who swept through the plains of Ukraine and beyond.
That's not really different from English per the above. Borrowings are mostly from nearby languages, with a smaller amount from other languages further afield. If you list out all sources the contributions are just as wide as English, but the ratios are different with the highest ratios from close languages. Just as in the case of English.

Likes Astronuc
Science news on Phys.org
Do you think we can all agree to get back to the essence of this thread?

jedishrfu said:
Well that's what I'm talking about, when you actually analyse it as linguists have English is pretty normal.

LittleSchwinger said:
All other languages across the world contribute about 6%.
The Second Edition of the Oxford English Dictionary, of 1989, counts 600,000 words. The 6% of "other languages" makes up about 36,000 words.
LittleSchwinger said:
So English also mostly borrowed from nearby languages, namely Latin, Old French and Greek.
I'm not talking about words borrowed from nearby languages -- I'm talking about words from countries far away from the Anglosphere -- including words from Asia, Africa, and elsewhere.

Per this site, https://www.dictionary.com/e/borrowed-words/

Loanwords make up 80% of English
What this means is that there is no such thing as pure English. English is a delectable, slow-cooked language of languages. As lexicographer Kory Stamper explains, “English has been borrowing words from other languages since its infancy.” As many as 350 other languages are represented and their linguistic contributions actually make up about 80% of English!

Ranking from most influential to least, English is composed of words from: Latin, French, German, Italian, Spanish, Dutch, Scandinavian, Japanese, Arabic, Portuguese, Sanskrit, Russian, Maori, Hindi, Hebrew, Persian, Malay, Urdu, Irish, Afrikaans, Yiddish, Chinese, Turkish, Norwegian, Zulu, and Swahili. And, that’s not even 10% of the 350 languages in the English melting pot.
Fewer than half of the 16 languages listed above could be counted as "nearby" languages.

Likes Astronuc
jedishrfu said:
Which is whether English is or is not a "normal language." I maintain that because of the plethora of borrowed words, it is not.

One can argue that English is a Romance vocabulary grafted onto a Germanic structure.

Is that "normal"? Well, it's normal for English!

Likes Astronuc, pinball1970 and BillTre
Indonesian/Malaysian has words from Spanish, English, Dutch, Hindi, Arabic, Chinese, and French.

Japanese has lots of borrowed words but they are usually unrecognizable. bāsudē raibu is "birthday live."

Last edited:
Likes LittleSchwinger
Mark44 said:
I'm not talking about words borrowed from nearby languages -- I'm talking about words from countries far away from the Anglosphere -- including words from Asia, Africa, and elsewhere.
I understand. I'm saying that in total English has about 6% of its words, as per the monograph above, consisting of borrowings from such far away languages. This isn't that unusual. Take Japanese. 8% of its words are directly taken from such distant languages (金田一京, ed. (2001). 新選国語辞典. 小学館) and another 6% come from hybridising between such borrowings from distant languages (same source).

So that's 14% of "far away borrowings", compared to the 6% of English. Again English isn't that unusual. You get figures of about 5-7% for such "distant" borrowings for most languages.

Likes Astronuc, jedishrfu and Bandersnatch
Back