Register to reply

The expansion of the universe art video

by dictator666
Tags: art, big bang, color, universe, video
Share this thread:
dictator666
Mar5-12, 06:56 PM
P: n/a
Hey! I'm a filmmaker and just thought I'd post my video I made that is inspired by physics and the beauty of the universe.

http://vimeo.com/36267608
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Study links polar vortex chills to melting sea ice
Lab unveil new nano-sized synthetic scaffolding technique
Cool calculations for cold atoms: New theory of universal three-body encounters
Siberion
Mar5-12, 07:15 PM
P: 27
This is such a wonderful video, good job!

Could you explain the process behind this piece of art?
Evo
Mar5-12, 07:35 PM
Mentor
P: 26,560
Ah, 1960's liquid light show.

MarcoD
Mar5-12, 07:38 PM
P: 98
The expansion of the universe art video

Ooh, that's really nice. I've seen people doing it life on raves; very sixties/seventies.
lisab
Mar5-12, 07:54 PM
Mentor
P: 2,990
dictator666
Mar5-12, 08:04 PM
Thanks! It's pretty much this process here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pW-bn9zssak using food coloring, milk and soap. The rest is just good lighting and cinematography.
Ivan Seeking
Mar5-12, 08:45 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,501
Excellent!!!

I love your choice of music as well. That was half of what made the movie Sunshine so awesome.
fluidistic
Mar5-12, 09:09 PM
PF Gold
P: 3,207
Nice and thanks for the spoiler. You solved my PDE problem on diffusion/heat equation.
ThomasT
Mar5-12, 09:17 PM
P: 1,414
Quote Quote by dictator666 View Post
Hey! I'm a filmmaker and just thought I'd post my video I made that is inspired by physics and the beauty of the universe.

http://vimeo.com/36267608
Great colors, textures, etc. I wouldn't mind having some part of your video transferred to a framed print and on the wall. Myles Thompson asked how you did the video. You didn't answer him. Is it a secret?

Ok, nevermind, I just looked at post #6. I had no idea that could be done with that stuff. Amazing.
QuarkCharmer
Mar5-12, 09:45 PM
P: 1,035
Quote Quote by fluidistic View Post
Nice and thanks for the spoiler. You solved my PDE problem on diffusion/heat equation.
Awe, I was going to go for a similar DE joke.

That was surprisingly pretty interesting. Milk, soap, and foodcoloring huh? Was that filmed under a lighted glass plate or something? Some of the divergences looked like you were pouring something onto a plate from the reverse side. Great work.
dictator666
Mar6-12, 12:51 AM
Quote Quote by Ivan Seeking View Post
Excellent!!!

I love your choice of music as well. That was half of what made the movie Sunshine so awesome.
The music is quite great and definitely helps the minutes of swirling colors pass by faster.

Quote Quote by QuarkCharmer View Post

That was surprisingly pretty interesting. Milk, soap, and foodcoloring huh? Was that filmed under a lighted glass plate or something? Some of the divergences looked like you were pouring something onto a plate from the reverse side. Great work.

Yes it was filmed on a clear plastic plate and backlit by light. The soap I just dropped from above so you can't really see it fall into frame. There was quite a bit of color correction in post as well.

Register to reply