Entropy reversal in an infinite static universe?

Suekdccia
TL;DR Summary
Entropy reversal in an infinite static universe?
As far as I know, entropy could be reversed by the Poincaré recurrence theorem if it had a finite horizon given by some amount of vacuum energy causing an accelerating expansion.

However, I found this lecture by Leonard Susskind () where he tells a way through which the vacuum could decay into a vacuum state with no energy and therefore no expansion would occur. In this case, we would have a static universe. However, he says that in this case no recurrence would take place.

But, in this answer to one similar question on another physics-discussion site (Could any new structures be formed after the heat death of the universe?), it says that in a static universe with no accelerated expansion (and therefore no cosmological constant) the Poincarré recurrence theorem would hold. And also, I understand that in a non-accelerating expanding universe there would be no maximal entropy reached so the recurrence should occur.

So, what am I missing here?

Space news on Phys.org
For the Poincare recurrence to exist, the essential requirement is that the phase space of all possible initial conditions has a finite volume. (In the quantum version, it translates to the finite dimension of the Hilbert space.) If there is a cosmological constant, then the universe has the horizon which makes it effectively finite, so the Poincare recurrence seems plausible. If there is no cosmological constant, and hence no horizon, the Poincare recurrence requires some other mechanism by which the universe has a finite volume. A reasonable possibility is that the universe is closed, i.e. that its spatial topology is a 3-dimensional sphere. I didn't watch the video, but I suspect that Susskind had such a closed universe in mind.

Likes PeterDonis

What is entropy reversal in an infinite static universe?

Entropy reversal in an infinite static universe refers to the hypothetical scenario in which the natural tendency of entropy (the measure of disorder or randomness in a system) to increase is reversed, leading to a decrease in entropy over time. This concept is often explored in physics and cosmology as a way to understand the potential fate of the universe.

Is entropy reversal possible in an infinite static universe?

The concept of entropy reversal in an infinite static universe is purely theoretical and has not been observed or proven to be possible in our universe. It is based on mathematical models and assumptions and remains a topic of debate among scientists.

What would be the implications of entropy reversal in an infinite static universe?

If entropy reversal were possible in an infinite static universe, it would have significant implications for our understanding of the laws of thermodynamics and the ultimate fate of the universe. It could potentially lead to a never-ending cycle of expansion and contraction, with the universe constantly resetting itself.

Can we observe entropy reversal in our universe?

No, entropy reversal has not been observed in our universe. In fact, the second law of thermodynamics states that entropy will always increase or remain constant in a closed system. Therefore, the concept of entropy reversal is purely hypothetical and has not been observed in any physical system.

How does entropy reversal relate to the concept of a "heat death" of the universe?

The concept of a "heat death" of the universe is based on the idea that as entropy increases, the universe will eventually reach a state of maximum disorder and energy will be evenly distributed, resulting in a state of no further change or activity. If entropy reversal were possible, it could potentially prevent this eventual "heat death" and lead to a cyclical universe instead.