Does the universe have a definite "size"?

• I
  • Thread starter ScottVal
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Universe
In summary, the speaker argues that the universe has a definite width, and that it makes more sense to consider it as having an indefinite size. He also makes a comment about the paradox of an inhabited planet on the edge of the universe.
ScottVal
TL;DR Summary
There's a YouTube video which says the universe is 92 billion light years wide; is this true?
Hello-
I just watched (or tried to watch) a YouTube video by Fermilab, in which the speaker states that the universe has a definite "width" of 92 billion light years. I could only watch about half of it because more and more terms were used which it am not familiar with. Besides, his pedantic nature is very annoying. I made the following comment on YouTube:

You lost me when you talked about "space expanding." I guess the video is meant for people who already understand that concept (which I don't). However, I pondered the idea of the universe having finite size several years ago, and got some help from some people on a physics forum, and I concluded that the question is sort of a paradox, because, if the universe had a finite size, you could imagine an inhabited planet on the edge of the universe, and the people who lived there would see the cosmos only on one side of their celestial sphere, which wouldn't make much sense. I think it makes more sense to consider the universe as having an indefinite size. I.e., you see galaxies in all directions, no matter where you are.

The video has about 4000 comments, so I'm not expecting anyone to reply to my comment. However, this forum seems like a smaller group, and I was wondering what you all think of this...
-Scott V.

Space news on Phys.org
The observable universe is 92 billion lightyears across.

Your assumption that the size is finite implies there is an edge. However if the universe is not flat, like a three dimensional analog of the surface of a sphere, there will not be an edge.

mathman said:
Your assumption that the size is finite implies there is an edge. However if the universe is not flat, like a three dimensional analog of the surface of a sphere, there will not be an edge.
Based on current observations, if this is the case this 3-sphere is significantly larger than 92 billion lightyears. The statement in the video is about the observable universe.

From what we understand, space is infinite in every direction. The video from Fermilabs was indeed talking about the observable universe, which is a sphere of about 92 billion light years. The reason that the observable universe is this size is because the speed of light is finite and there was a beginning of time. We simply can't see things further away than that because there hasn't been enough time for light from beyond that edge to reach us, but it's still out there.

This would be true regardless of whether or not space is expanding (which it is.)

I think I see now, that the implication is not that there is an "edge" to the universe 92 billion light years away (which wouldn't make sense), but that the "observable" universe seems to be bounded by a sphere 92 BLY in radius, simply because of the age of the universe, etc. Thanks.

1. What is the size of the universe?

The size of the universe is difficult to determine because it is constantly expanding. However, scientists estimate that the observable universe has a diameter of about 93 billion light-years.

2. Is the universe infinite?

It is currently unknown whether the universe is infinite or has a finite size. Some theories suggest that the universe may be infinite, while others propose that it has a finite size but no boundaries.

3. How do scientists measure the size of the universe?

Scientists use various methods to measure the size of the universe, such as observing the cosmic microwave background radiation and using the Hubble Space Telescope to measure the distances of galaxies.

4. Does the size of the universe change?

Yes, the size of the universe is constantly changing as it continues to expand. The rate of expansion is also increasing, meaning that the universe is expanding at a faster rate over time.

5. Can the size of the universe be calculated?

The size of the observable universe can be calculated using the speed of light and the age of the universe. However, the overall size of the entire universe is still unknown and cannot be accurately calculated at this time.