Register to reply

Excited states

by zezima1
Tags: states
Share this thread:
zezima1
Mar8-12, 11:54 AM
P: 123
My book calculates the ratio of probability to find an atom in an excited state vs finding it in the ground state in the sun and gets approx 1/109.
Essentially this must mean that the ratio of the multiplicities of the system must also be equal to this, i.e.:

[itex]\Omega[/itex]2/[itex]\Omega[/itex]1 = 1/109

How can this be possible? Say you excite the atom. The energy that the surroundings in the sun loses is tiny compared to its total energy. So shouldnt the two multiplicities be approximately the same?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Technique simplifies the creation of high-tech crystals
Working group explores the 'frustration' of spin glasses
New analysis of oxide glass structures could guide the forecasting of melt formation in planetary interiors
mathman
Mar8-12, 03:38 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 6,038
There is something very confusing about your question. There are few (if any) atoms in the sun. Just about everything is fully ionized.
zezima1
Mar8-12, 04:31 PM
It's in the sun's atmosphere.

mathman
Mar9-12, 06:21 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 6,038
Excited states

Quote Quote by zezima1 View Post
It's in the sun's atmosphere.
I am not sure what you mean by the sun's atmosphere, since it is entirely in a gaseous or plasma state. The surface is close to 6000 K. I presume everything is highly ionized, but I am no expert on the subject.
zezima1
Mar10-12, 04:45 AM
Then say its somewhere, where everything is not ionized. This has no relevance for my question, which is about the conceptual understanding of the boltzmann distribution!
Modulated
Mar10-12, 12:08 PM
P: 44
Quote Quote by zezima1 View Post
Essentially this must mean that the ratio of the multiplicities of the system must also be equal to this
Really? This would imply that every energy level is equally likely to be filled, which I hope seems unlikely. So what difference between the ground and the excited state havenít you taken into account?

Register to reply