Electron excited from the ground state to a quantum state

In summary, the conversation discusses a question and answer regarding energy calculations for hydrogen and helium. The person asking the question compares their answer to an online solution, but finds a discrepancy. They confirm their thought process and conclude that the online solution was incorrect. They also mention that it is important to not always trust online solutions.
jisbon
Homework Statement
The electron in a He+ atom is excited from ground to quantum state n=3 by radiation.
i.Calculate the wavelength of the radiation
ii.Calculate the magnitude of orbital angular momentum
iii.Calculate the magnitudes of the possible orbital angular momentum in z-direction
Relevant Equations
##E_{n}=\dfrac {-13.6z^{2}}{n^{2}}eV##
Hi there, popping by here to check my answer because another online platform has already answered it but my answer appears to be wrong. I can't seem to understand why though :/

Since I can find the energy at a state to be ##E_{n}=\dfrac {-13.6z^{2}}{n^{2}}eV##
At ground state where n=1,
##E_{1}=\dfrac {-13.6(2)^{2}}{1^{2}}eV = -54.4eV##
And at n=3,
##E_{3}=\dfrac {-13.6(2)^{2}}{3^{2}}eV = -6.04444...eV##
Since photon energy ##E_{p}h=hf=\dfrac {hc}{\lambda }=\dfrac {1240}{\lambda }eV ##
Shouldn't it just be:
## -6.04444...eV-(-54.4eV) = \dfrac {1240}{\lambda }eV##
and the wavelength I got is 25.6nm, which is a far cry from the online solution which is 102nm :/

As for part ii, since ##L=\sqrt {l\left( l+1\right) }\hbar##, and l must be =1 due to the selection rule of allowed transitions, hence ##L=\sqrt {2}\hbar ##?

And lastly for part iii, since ##m_{l}## is -1,0,1 , ##L_{z}## must be ##\hbar## or -##\hbar##?

Cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
jisbon said:
and the wavelength I got is 25.6nm, which is a far cry from the online solution which is 102nm :/
Looks like they did the calculation for hydrogen, not helium.

gneill said:
Looks like they did the calculation for hydrogen, not helium.
So my answer/thought process is correct in this case? Thanks

jisbon said:
So my answer/thought process is correct in this case? Thanks
Yup. Certainly looks that way.

Likes jisbon
gneill said:
Yup. Certainly looks that way.
Guess I can't trust all online solutions :/ Thanks for the clarification :D

You're most welcome. Here we regularly spot errors in other site's purported solutions.

Likes epenguin

1. What is the ground state of an electron?

The ground state of an electron refers to the lowest energy level or orbital that an electron can occupy within an atom. It is also known as the "ground energy level" or "ground state energy."

2. What does it mean for an electron to be excited to a quantum state?

When an electron is excited to a quantum state, it means that it has absorbed energy and moved to a higher energy level or orbital within the atom. This state is temporary and the electron will eventually return to its ground state by releasing the absorbed energy.

3. How does an electron become excited to a quantum state?

An electron can become excited to a quantum state through various means such as absorbing photons (light energy), colliding with other particles, or being subjected to an electric field.

4. What is the significance of an electron being excited to a quantum state?

The excitation of an electron to a quantum state is significant because it allows for the absorption and emission of specific wavelengths of light, which is the basis of many scientific techniques such as spectroscopy. It also plays a crucial role in chemical reactions as the energy levels of electrons determine the stability and reactivity of molecules.

5. Can an electron be excited to multiple quantum states?

Yes, an electron can be excited to multiple quantum states. The amount of energy it absorbs determines the specific quantum state it will reach. However, it is important to note that the energy levels of an electron are discrete, meaning it can only occupy specific energy levels and not any value in between.