Electron Configuration of Excited State

In summary: I've made a chart with all possible combinations of ##L##, ##S##, and ##J##. The allowed combinations are: ##L=1##, ##S=1##, ##J=0## or ##2##.##L=1##, ##S=0##, ##J=1## or ##3##.##L=0##, ##S=1##, ##J=1## or ##2##.##L=0##, ##S=0##, ##J=0##.##The allowed total angular momentum ##J## values for this excited state are ##J=0, 1, 2, 3##.
samjohnny

Homework Statement

An exercise examining the tin atom (Sn). Tin has a ground state electron configuration of ##[Kr]4d^{10}5s^25p^2##.

a) Write down the electronic configuration of the first excited state.

b) Illustrate with a vector diagram the allowed total angular momentum ##J## values for this excited state.

Homework Equations

N/a

The Attempt at a Solution

Hi all,

For a) As I understand it, excited states for atoms are achieved when an atom in the outermost shell makes a transition to an atomic orbital with greater energy, according to the selection rule of ##ΔL=±1##. However I'm unsure as to what would constitute the first excited state.

I think it would be one of the two following:

(1) ##[Kr]4d^{10}5s^25p^16s^1##

(2) ##[Kr]4d^{10}5s^25p^15d^1##

The ##5d## level has a higher energy than that of the ##6s##, so perhaps (1) is the first excited state?

For b) I'm not entirely sure about it, but I presume that the correct answer for a) must be determined first.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
samjohnny said:
For a) As I understand it, excited states for atoms are achieved when an atom in the outermost shell makes a transition to an atomic orbital with greater energy, according to the selection rule of ##ΔL=±1##.
Careful here. When considering the excited states by themselves, do not refer to selection rules. The first excited state of an atom may not be reachable by a dipole transition from the ground state. The best example is hydrogen, where the first excited state is 2s.

samjohnny said:
However I'm unsure as to what would constitute the first excited state.
The rule that works most of the time is to take a valence electron and put it in the next highest energy orbital.

samjohnny said:
I think it would be one of the two following:

(1) ##[Kr]4d^{10}5s^25p^16s^1##

(2) ##[Kr]4d^{10}5s^25p^15d^1##

The ##5d## level has a higher energy than that of the ##6s##, so perhaps (1) is the first excited state?
Yes.

samjohnny said:
For b) I'm not entirely sure about it, but I presume that the correct answer for a) must be determined first.
Yes.

DrClaude said:
Careful here. When considering the excited states by themselves, do not refer to selection rules. The first excited state of an atom may not be reachable by a dipole transition from the ground state. The best example is hydrogen, where the first excited state is 2s.The rule that works most of the time is to take a valence electron and put it in the next highest energy orbital.Yes.Yes.

I see. Then the electron configuration of the first excited state would be: ##[Kr]4d^{10}5s^25p^16s^1##.

Then for part b), since the total angular momentum of an atom is given by that of its outer electron, the total ##J## will be defined by the single outer electron in the ##6s## orbital. Therefore, we have ##l=5## and ##s=\frac{1}{2}##. And therefore the total angular momentum values we have are ##j=s±l=\frac{11}{2}## and ##\frac{9}{2}##. Therefore ##J=\sqrt{j(j+1)}ħ=\frac{143}{4}ħ## and ##\frac{121}{4}ħ##. I have a feeling this isn't right..

samjohnny said:
Then for part b), since the total angular momentum of an atom is given by that of its outer electron, the total ##J## will be defined by the single outer electron in the ##6s## orbital.
This is not correct. It is only filled (sub)shells that have an overall contribution of 0 to the total orbital angular momentum and spin. Here, there are two subshells that are not filled.

samjohnny said:
Therefore, we have ##l=5##
?

DrClaude said:
This is not correct. It is only filled (sub)shells that have an overall contribution of 0 to the total orbital angular momentum and spin. Here, there are two subshells that are not filled.?

Ah OK, so both the ##5p## and ##6s## shells have contribution to the total angular momentum. And I went completely off track with ##l##. For the ##6s## orbital ##l=0## and ##s=\frac{1}{2}##. And so would that mean that ##j=s+l=\frac{1}{2}##, and so ##J=\sqrt{j(j+1)}=\frac{3}{4}ħ##?

And for ##5p##, ##l=1## therefore ##j=\frac{3}{2}## and ##\frac{1}{2}##. So ##J=\sqrt{j(j+1)}=\frac{15}{4}ħ## and ##\frac{3}{4}ħ##. Am I on the right track?

samjohnny said:
Ah OK, so both the ##5p## and ##6s## shells have contribution to the total angular momentum. And I went completely off track with ##l##. For the ##6s## orbital ##l=0## and ##s=\frac{1}{2}##. And so would that mean that ##j=s+l=\frac{1}{2}##, and so ##J=\sqrt{j(j+1)}=\frac{3}{4}ħ##?

And for ##5p##, ##l=1## therefore ##j=\frac{3}{2}## and ##\frac{1}{2}##. So ##J=\sqrt{j(j+1)}=\frac{15}{4}ħ## and ##\frac{3}{4}ħ##. Am I on the right track?
For Sn, LS-coupling should apply, so this is not the correct way to go about it.

DrClaude said:
For Sn, LS-coupling should apply, so this is not the correct way to go about it.

Ok, then I'll implement LS coupling as found on this page. And so let ##L_1## be the orbital angular momentum of the ##5p## electron, and ##L_2## that of the ##6s## electron. Then ##L=L_1+L_2=1+0=1##. And similarly for the spins: ##S=\frac{1}{2}±\frac{1}{2}=1## or ##0##. Therefore, ##J=L+S=1## or ##2##.

I wonder if the atomic nucleus might be perhaps too large for this type of coupling?

samjohnny said:
Ok, then I'll implement LS coupling as found on this page. And so let ##L_1## be the orbital angular momentum of the ##5p## electron, and ##L_2## that of the ##6s## electron. Then ##L=L_1+L_2=1+0=1##. And similarly for the spins: ##S=\frac{1}{2}±\frac{1}{2}=1## or ##0##.
That is correct, but
samjohnny said:
Therefore, ##J=L+S=1## or ##2##.
is not complete. You have to find all possible J's for each combination of L and S.

samjohnny said:
I wonder if the atomic nucleus might be perhaps too large for this type of coupling?
Tin is at the limit where LS coupling applies, and it could be argued that jj-coupling should be used. I've checked the NIST website, and they use LS term symbols for Sn.

DrClaude said:
That is correct, but

is not complete. You have to find all possible J's for each combination of L and S.Tin is at the limit where LS coupling applies, and it could be argued that jj-coupling should be used. I've checked the NIST website, and they use LS term symbols for Sn.

So including all possible ##Js## gives ##J=0,1,2##?

samjohnny said:
So including all possible ##Js## gives ##J=0,1,2##?
You found that L = 1 and S = 0 or 1. That gives you two terms, 1P and 3P. Each term has its own possible set of J values.

1. What is an excited state in electron configuration?

An excited state in electron configuration refers to the arrangement of electrons in an atom or molecule where one or more electrons have been promoted to a higher energy level than their ground state. This results in a temporary instability and can be observed through the emission of light or other forms of energy.

2. How does an electron achieve an excited state?

An electron can achieve an excited state through the absorption of energy, such as through heat or light. This added energy causes the electron to jump to a higher energy level, creating an excited state.

3. What is the significance of an excited state in electron configuration?

The excited state of an electron allows for the observation of unique properties and behaviors of atoms and molecules. It also plays a crucial role in chemical reactions and the emission of light in various forms of spectroscopy.

4. How does the excited state affect an atom's chemical properties?

The excited state of an atom can cause changes in its chemical properties, such as increasing its reactivity and altering its electron affinity. This can result in different bonding capabilities and can influence the atom's participation in chemical reactions.

5. How is the excited state represented in electron configuration notation?

The excited state can be represented by placing the excited electron in brackets and denoting its energy level and subshell. For example, the excited state electron configuration of carbon can be written as [He] 2s1 2p2, indicating that one electron has been promoted from the 2s orbital to the 2p orbital.