Moment of inertia of a squARE lamina

by ZxcvbnM2000
Tags: inertia, lamina, moment, square
ZxcvbnM2000
Apr23-12, 06:31 PM
P: 64
a square lamina is made of 4 uniform thin rods each of which was a moment of inertia Ml^2 /12 about an axis perpendicular to their length and passing through their centres.

My way of understanding it is the following : the two rods to whom the axis of rotation is perpendicular and passes through their centres have a total moment of inertia:

2*(1/12)*M*(L/2)^2 so ML^2 / 24 .

The rest two thin rods who are parallel to the axis of rotation are again rotating "forming a cylinder" and are L/2 away from the axis of rotation ( perpendicular distance ).So

the total is : 2 * ML^2/24 = ML^2 / 12 which is the moment of inertia of each rod .

Is my thinking correct ? If not could you please help me understand it ?

Thank you very much :)
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Physicists design quantum switches which can be activated by single photons
'Dressed' laser aimed at clouds may be key to inducing rain, lightning
Higher-order nonlinear optical processes observed using the SACLA X-ray free-electron laser
Bob S
Apr23-12, 09:13 PM
P: 4,664
As you say, the moment of inertia I (see http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/mi.html) of the two rods where the axis of rotation passes through their center is I = MĚL2/12, so for two of them it is MĚL2/6.
For each rod parallel to the axis of rotation, the moment of inertia is MĚ(L/2)2 = MĚL2/4 , so for two it is MĚL2/2.

Register to reply