Inertia of body moving about two distinct parallel axes

• I
  • Thread starter KataruZ98
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inertia
In summary: There is no confusion. A rotation is always around one axis. A moment of inertia depends on this axis. If you need to calculate the moment of inertia around different axes, you can calculate the tensor of inertia and use it to calculate the moment of inertia around any rotation axis going through the body-fixed reference point used to calculate the tensor of inertia. If you have to consider axes with no common point than it's most convenient to calculate the tensor of inertia with respect to the center of mass of the body and then use Steiner's Law to get the tensor of inertia around any other point.In summary, the moment of inertia of a cylindrical rigid body of length 3m and width 1
KataruZ98
TL;DR Summary
A rigid 3D is rotating simultaneously about two axes. How can I find its total inertia?
Considering a cylindrical rigid body of length 3 m and wide one. The body is rotating about an axis passing through one of its bases and perpendicular in respect to the length. At the same time, the same cylinder is orbiting about another axis parallel to the first — but distanced 10 m from the former. How can I find the body’s moment of inertia about the second axis?

Physics news on Phys.org
You mean it rotates around an axis given by a unit vector ##\vec{n}## going through some point fixed in this body? Then you can use the tensor of inertia ##\hat{\Theta}## around this point and the corresponding moment of inertia then is given by ##\vec{n}^{\text{T}} \hat{\Theta} \vec{n}##.

If you need to calculate things wrt. to different body-fixed reference points, then it's most convenient to calculate ##\hat{\Theta}## around the center of mass of the body and then use Steiner's Law (also known as "parallel-axis theorem".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallel_axis_theorem#Tensor_generalization

Likes anuttarasammyak
vanhees71 said:
You mean it rotates around an axis given by a unit vector ##\vec{n}## going through some point fixed in this body? Then you can use the tensor of inertia ##\hat{\Theta}## around this point and the corresponding moment of inertia then is given by ##\vec{n}^{\text{T}} \hat{\Theta} \vec{n}##.

If you need to calculate things wrt. to different body-fixed reference points, then it's most convenient to calculate ##\hat{\Theta}## around the center of mass of the body and then use Steiner's Law (also known as "parallel-axis theorem".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallel_axis_theorem#Tensor_generalization
To give a visual example from RL to clarify what I meant, take the Moon’s orbit around the Sun and replace the satellite with the specified cylinder (and of course scale down the distances and sizes as described in the question). Pretty much you could replace my question with “how can the Moon’s inertia about the Sun be calculated, while addressing its revolution around Earth?”

What gives me difficulty is that, because the cylinder is rotating around two axes, there’s no fixed distance between its center of mass and the second axis in order to use Steiner’s Law.

What do you mean "the cylinder is rotating around two axes"? That doesn't make any sense. A rotation is (momentarily) always around one axis. A moment of inertia depends on this axis. If you need to calculate the moment of inertia around different axes, you can calculate the tensor of inertia and use it to calculate the moment of inertia around any rotation axis going through the body-fixed reference point used to calculate the tensor of inertia. If you have to consider axes with no common point than it's most convenient to calculate the tensor of inertia with respect to the center of mass of the body and then use Steiner's Law to get the tensor of inertia around any other point.

vanhees71 said:
What do you mean "the cylinder is rotating around two axes"? That doesn't make any sense. A rotation is (momentarily) always around one axis. A moment of inertia depends on this axis. If you need to calculate the moment of inertia around different axes, you can calculate the tensor of inertia and use it to calculate the moment of inertia around any rotation axis going through the body-fixed reference point used to calculate the tensor of inertia. If you have to consider axes with no common point than it's most convenient to calculate the tensor of inertia with respect to the center of mass of the body and then use Steiner's Law to get the tensor of inertia around any other point.

As I said in my first reply, the rotation I’m talking of can be thought as that of the Moon around the Sun — with the former already going circles. Here you can think at the cylinder as the Moon, the first axis as Earth and the second axis as the Sun. I hope I made my case clear.

The moment of inertia is a property of the object and the axis about which the moment of inertia is calculated or measured. It has nothing to do with the rotation or nonrotation of the object.

Steiner's theorem is also known as the parallel axis theorem. It is useful if you know the moment of inertia about an axis, typically a principal axis, and want to know the moment of inertia about a parallel axis in a different location. It gets a lot of use when designing high speed machines.

Likes KataruZ98 and Lnewqban
@KataruZ98
I see fig 35 in Laudau-Lifshitz Mechanics as below cited.

1686438391190.png

When we say rotation of rigid body, its COM O is chosen as origin for rotation.
If you want to rotate this rigid body around Origin of the XYZ coordinates, as for moment of inertia ##I=MR^2## would be applied, where M is mass of the rigid body. I am afraid you would confuse these two kind of rotations.

Last edited:
Likes KataruZ98
KataruZ98 said:
What gives me difficulty is that, because the cylinder is rotating around two axes, there’s no fixed distance between its center of mass and the second axis in order to use Steiner’s Law.
What makes the center of mass of the cylinder not to be crossed by the "axis passing through one of the bases and perpendicular in respect to the length"?
If given freedom, most rigid bodies spontaneously spin around the center of mass.

Likes KataruZ98
Lnewqban said:
What makes the center of mass of the cylinder not to be crossed by the "axis passing through one of the bases and perpendicular in respect to the length"?
If given freedom, most rigid bodies spontaneously spin around the center of mass.

Well, to be openly clear, I’m using this figure as a model to find the MOI of a forearm about the shoulder, when there’s a rotation happening both at the elbow and shoulder. I’d like to see the resulting energy and torque calculated, but I need the MOI of the forearm around the shoulder to complete my work.

Admittedly I gave unrealistic proportions to the body I was using for model (the cylinder) and the distance from the second axis — but I figured that could be easily fixed when I actually apply the correct formula to the true figures.

If your problem is about robot arm joint, I find https://studywolf.wordpress.com/2013/09/17/robot-control-4-operation-space-control/ by search and some others which might be helpful for your study.

If this is the case, it seems that momentum inertia of forearm cylinder to shoulder joint is same as that of post #7,i.e., ##I=MR^2## , with no direct regard to where elbow joint is and how much angle it forms, where R is distance from sholder joint to forearm COM and M is mass of forearm.

Last edited:
Likes Lnewqban and KataruZ98
KataruZ98 said:
As I said in my first reply, the rotation I’m talking of can be thought as that of the Moon around the Sun — with the former already going circles. Here you can think at the cylinder as the Moon, the first axis as Earth and the second axis as the Sun. I hope I made my case clear.
It is a 3 objects movement. The differential equations can not be solved without computer simulation.

1. What is the definition of inertia?

Inertia is the tendency of an object to resist changes in its motion, whether it is at rest or in motion.

2. How does inertia relate to an object moving about two distinct parallel axes?

The inertia of an object moving about two distinct parallel axes is dependent on the mass and distribution of the object. The object's inertia will be greater if its mass is distributed farther away from the axis of rotation.

3. How is the inertia of an object calculated when it is moving about two distinct parallel axes?

The inertia of an object moving about two distinct parallel axes can be calculated using the parallel axis theorem. This states that the inertia of an object is equal to the inertia of the object's center of mass plus the product of its mass and the square of the distance between the two parallel axes.

4. How does the inertia of an object affect its motion when it is moving about two distinct parallel axes?

The inertia of an object will affect its motion by determining how much force is needed to change its speed or direction of motion. Objects with higher inertia will require more force to change their motion compared to objects with lower inertia.

5. What are some real-life examples of objects exhibiting inertia when moving about two distinct parallel axes?

Some examples of objects exhibiting inertia when moving about two distinct parallel axes include a spinning top, a rolling tire, and a rotating planet. In each of these examples, the object's inertia affects its motion and resistance to change in motion.