When is the parallel axis theorem not appliable?

In summary, the moment of inertia of a rod rotating about an axis in the center of a disk is related to the moment of inertia with respect to the new axis by the parallel axis theorem.
Haorong Wu
TL;DR Summary
When is the parallel axis theorem not appliable?
Hello, there. A friend asked me a problem last night.

Suppose that a system consists of a rod of length ##l## and mass ##m##, and a disk of radius ##R##. The mass of the disk is negligible. Now the system is rotating around an axis in the center of the disk and perpendicular to the plane where the rod and the disk lie in. What is the moment of inertia of the rod?

11.jpg

It is easy to have, by the definition,
##I=\int_R^{R+l} r^2 dm=\frac {m} {l}\int_R^{R+l} r^2 dr=\frac {m} {3l} [ \left (R+l \right ) ^3 -R^3 ]##.

Meanwhile, from the parallel axis theorem, I have
##I^{'}=\frac {ml^2} {12}+m (R+l/2)^2##.

Obviously, they do not match each other, since ##I## contains a term with ##R^3##, while ##I^{'}## does not.

I read the parallel axis theorem over and over again, but I could not see where I misunderstand.

Suppose a body of mass ##m## is rotated about an axis ##z## passing through the body's centre of mass. The body has a moment of inertia ##I_{cm}## with respect to this axis. The parallel axis theorem states that if the body is made to rotate instead about a new axis ##z^′ ## which is parallel to the first axis and displaced from it by a distance ##d##, then the moment of inertia ##I## with respect to the new axis is related to ##I_{cm}## by
##I=I_{cm}+md^2##.
Explicitly, ##d## is the perpendicular distance between the axes ##z## and ##z′##.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you post a picture of the apparatus? How is the rod attached to the disk?

Leo Liu said:
Can you post a picture of the apparatus? How is the rod attached to the disk?
Hi, @Leo Liu . I update it. The rod just attach to the disk on its perimeter.

Haorong Wu said:
It is easy to have, by the definition,
##I=\int_R^{R+l} r^2 dm=\frac {m} {l}\int_R^{R+l} r^2 dr=\frac {m} {3l} [ \left (R+l \right ) ^3 -R^3 ]##.

Meanwhile, from the parallel axis theorem, I have
##I^{'}=\frac {ml^2} {12}+m (R+l/2)^2##.

Obviously, they do not match each other, since ##I## contains a term with ##R^3##, while ##I^{'}## does not.
It's not that obvious to me. Expand each expression and take the difference ##I-I'##. Show your work here to convince me that this difference is not equal to zero.

Likes Leo Liu
Yes work it out. The ##R^3 ## terms clearly cancel.

Awkward. Thanks, @kuruman, and @hutchphd. I was misled by the answer along with the problem.
1111.jpg

It is clearly wrong. The plus sign should be a minus sign before ##R^3##.

I first tried it with the parallel axis theorem, and I could not find the ##R^3## term, so I got lost.

Haorong Wu said:
I first tried it with the parallel axis theorem, and I could not find the R3 term
Perhaps if you follow the basic derivation of the PAT you will find a similar cancellation of R3 terms.

1. When is the parallel axis theorem not applicable?

The parallel axis theorem is not applicable when the object being analyzed is not symmetrical about the axis of rotation. This means that the object cannot be divided into two equal halves that are mirror images of each other.

2. Is the parallel axis theorem only applicable to 2D objects?

No, the parallel axis theorem can be applied to both 2D and 3D objects. However, it is more commonly used for 2D objects because it is easier to visualize and calculate.

3. Can the parallel axis theorem be used for any type of rotation?

The parallel axis theorem is only applicable for rotations around a fixed axis. It cannot be used for other types of motion, such as translation or oscillation.

4. Are there any limitations to the parallel axis theorem?

One limitation of the parallel axis theorem is that it only applies to rigid bodies. It cannot be used for objects that are deforming or changing shape during rotation.

5. Can the parallel axis theorem be used for irregularly shaped objects?

Yes, the parallel axis theorem can be used for irregularly shaped objects as long as they are symmetrical about the axis of rotation. However, it may be more challenging to calculate the moment of inertia for these types of objects.