Moment of Inertia of Rectangles

al4n
TL;DR Summary
Why is the axis of rotation used for the moment of inertia of a rectangle about its center of mass, perpendicular to one of its bases and on the same plane instead of say, an axis that goes through the plane/page
I often encounter the formula: I = (1/12)Mbh^2 when dealing with moment of inertia of rectangles and got confused when I was unable to get the same result when figuring it out with integration. It seems that the axis of rotation used is a line perpendicular to one of the bases and on the plane of the page. Wouldn't it be more useful if the axis used is one that points into or out of the page since most problems involve rotations that remain on the same plane as the rectangle?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the lesson is not to trust anybody's statement of a moment of inertia until you've checked what axis it is using. Or, more generally, make sure that the question they're answering is the one you're asking.

Also, I believe the second moment of area through axes in the plane is important in the study of beams and the way they bend. So I suspect engineers would disagree with your characterisation of which axes are important.

Please, see:
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/perpx.html#ppx

d070874e834f7d6150bdfad855e0f730f5174e9.60994234mi.png

Likes hutchphd, nasu and vanhees71

What is the moment of inertia of a rectangle?

The moment of inertia of a rectangle is a measure of its resistance to changes in rotational motion. It is a property that depends on the shape, size, and distribution of mass of the rectangle.

How is the moment of inertia of a rectangle calculated?

The moment of inertia of a rectangle can be calculated using the formula I = (1/12) * M * (h^2 + b^2), where M is the mass of the rectangle, h is the height, and b is the base.

What factors affect the moment of inertia of a rectangle?

The moment of inertia of a rectangle is affected by its mass, size, and distribution of mass. Specifically, the moment of inertia increases with an increase in mass and size, and with a shift in mass towards the edges of the rectangle.

Why is the moment of inertia important?

The moment of inertia is an important concept in physics and engineering as it helps determine the stability and strength of a rotating object. It is also used in the design and analysis of structures, such as buildings and bridges.

How does the moment of inertia of a rectangle compare to other shapes?

The moment of inertia of a rectangle is typically smaller than that of other shapes with the same mass and size, such as a circle or triangle. This is because the mass distribution of a rectangle is more spread out, resulting in a lower resistance to changes in rotational motion.