M-nitroacetophenone to m-aminoacetophenone reaction mechanism.

In summary, the speaker is unsure if their reaction mechanism is correct and is seeking help to fix it. They performed a lab experiment using tin and HCl to reduce m-nitroacetophenone, and then used sodium hydroxide to create m-aminoacetophenone. The mechanism is beyond their class's scope and they are under pressure to fix it before their lab report is due tomorrow. They apologize for sounding harsh and are asking for assistance in correcting their mechanism.
bonfire09
I have this reaction mechanism but I am not sure if its correct or not. In lab we reduced the m-nitroacetophenone using tin and HCl and then using sodium hydroxide to make m-aminoacetophenone. This mechanism goes beyond the scope of our class and not sure why our lab teacher had us do it and its sort of urgent since my lab report is due tomorrow and this is the last thing I have left. Sorry if i sound harsh. If you can help me fix my mechanism or tell me what to fix that be great. thanks

Attachments

• lab 19,1.jpg
    lab 19,1.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 4,671
Chemistry news on Phys.org

What is the reaction mechanism of M-nitroacetophenone to m-aminoacetophenone?

The reaction mechanism of M-nitroacetophenone to m-aminoacetophenone involves a series of steps that result in the formation of the desired product. It starts with the nitro group being reduced to an amine group by a reducing agent, followed by the elimination of a water molecule to form the intermediate compound. This compound then undergoes further reduction to form the final product, m-aminoacetophenone.

What is the role of the reducing agent in this reaction?

The reducing agent is crucial in the reaction as it facilitates the reduction of the nitro group to an amine group. Commonly used reducing agents for this reaction include hydrogen gas, metal hydrides, and iron(II) salts.

What are the conditions required for this reaction to occur?

The reaction typically takes place under reflux conditions in the presence of a solvent, such as ethanol or methanol. It also requires the use of a catalyst, such as palladium or platinum, to facilitate the reduction process.

Are there any byproducts produced during this reaction?

One of the main byproducts of this reaction is water, which is formed in the intermediate step where a water molecule is eliminated. Other minor byproducts may also be produced depending on the specific conditions and reactants used.

What are the potential applications of m-aminoacetophenone?

M-aminoacetophenone is a versatile compound that has various applications in the pharmaceutical, chemical, and cosmetic industries. It can be used as a building block for the synthesis of various drugs and dyes, as well as a fragrance ingredient in perfumes and body care products.