Understanding Electrochemistry: Anode and Cathode Reactions

In summary, the conversation is about electrochemistry and the reaction that occurs between an anode and cathode separated by water with dissolved oxygen. The reaction involves O2 + 2H20 + 4e -> 4OH and the question is whether all the electrons flowing between the electrodes are used in the reduction/oxidation reactions. The answer is yes, as that is how they move across the phase boundary. The current still flows through the solution as the electrons go into solution on one electrode and out on the other.
TJT
Hi All,

I have a quick - probably quite basic - electrochemistry query I hope you can help with...

I have an anode and a cathode separated by water with current flowing between. There is some oxygen dissolved in the water so the reaction O2 + 2H20 + 4e -> 4OH occurs. Electrons flow out of the anode and into the cathode. At the anode, the electrons are used to convert O2 and H20 to OH (hydroxide). At the cathode electrons are removed to re-form O2 and H2) from the hydroxide?

My query is what proportion of the electrons are used in the anode/cathode reactions? If all the electrons are used for chemical reactions then is there no current flow?

Do you get zero current until you have converted all the O2 to OH? Doesn't seem likely to me but I'm sure I am missing something - I haven't done chemistry for a while...

Also, I know H2O is basically an insulator unless is has ionic substance in it so assume that there is some NaCl in the water and that this doesn't get involved in the reaction...

Would be grateful for any advice :-)

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Dissolved oxygen is (almost) irrelevant. Typical products of the water electrolysis are oxygen and hydrogen (and they are products of electrode reactions, just google it).

Thanks for the really helpful advice...

I am looking at an experiment which definitely has the O2 + 2H20 + 4e -> 4OH reaction occurring but anyhow, my question is also applicable to the 2H20 -> O2 + 4H + 4e reaction. Do all the electrons flowing across the electrode boundary participate in the reduction/oxidation reactions?

If all then is there no current flowing through the electrolyte occupying the space between the electrodes?

If not all then how can I calculate the proportion?

TJT said:
Do all the electrons flowing across the electrode boundary participate in the reduction/oxidation reactions?

Yes, that's how they move across the phase boundary.

If all then is there no current flowing through the electrolyte occupying the space between the electrodes?

Sure there is - electrons go into solution on one electrode and get out of the solution on the other electrode. To do so they have to travel through the solution - that's the current flowing.

Thanks for the help - it is appreciated

1. What is electrochemistry?

Electrochemistry is the study of chemical reactions that involve the transfer of electrons between species. It is a branch of chemistry that deals with the relationship between electricity and chemical reactions.

2. What is an anode and a cathode?

An anode is the electrode where oxidation (loss of electrons) takes place, while a cathode is the electrode where reduction (gain of electrons) takes place. In simpler terms, an anode is the negative terminal and a cathode is the positive terminal in an electrochemical cell.

3. What are the key reactions that occur at the anode and cathode?

At the anode, the key reaction is oxidation, where the anode loses electrons and becomes positively charged. At the cathode, the key reaction is reduction, where the cathode gains electrons and becomes negatively charged. These reactions are crucial in generating electricity in an electrochemical cell.

4. How do anode and cathode reactions affect battery performance?

Anode and cathode reactions play a crucial role in determining the performance of a battery. The rate of the reactions determines the rate at which the battery can supply electricity. The type of materials used in the anode and cathode also affects the voltage and capacity of the battery.

5. How does electrochemistry impact our daily lives?

Electrochemistry has a significant impact on our daily lives. It is the basis for many technological devices, such as batteries, fuel cells, and solar cells, that we use daily. It also plays a crucial role in industries like metal extraction and corrosion prevention. Additionally, electrochemistry is used in medical applications, such as pacemakers and biosensors.