How do you stop rusting if an iron object is already underwater?

by Mr-Keroro
Tags: iron, object, rusting, stop, underwater
Mr-Keroro
May1-12, 07:51 AM
P: 1
I have a bit of basic knowledge on rusting and corrosion of iron but im trying to find ways to stop rusting. The problem is what if an object was already submerged in water? Is it still possible to stop it from rusting? I know there are 3 ways of preventing corrosion but im not sure if there are more. There is Galvanisation, Alloying and simply applying a layer of paint over an iron or steel object but will any of these methods work if the object is already underwater(around 1000m below sea level)? If not then, are there any more methods which could possibly slow down if not stop rusting?
Phys.Org News Partner Chemistry news on Phys.org
First view of nature-inspired catalyst after ripping hydrogen apart provides insights for better, cheaper fuel cells
Following a protein's travel inside cells is key to improving patient monitoring, drug development
Team helps cancer treatment drugs get past their sticking point
gulfcoastfella
May1-12, 09:46 AM
PF Gold
P: 79
I assume that in your list of preventive measures, you're including sacrificial anodes, like one made of Zinc for example.
DrStupid
May1-12, 10:42 AM
P: 321
Quote Quote by Mr-Keroro View Post
If not then, are there any more methods which could possibly slow down if not stop rusting?
How about active cathodic protection? In seawater you might need an additional protection against microorganisms.

Bignose
May1-12, 08:23 PM
P: 15

How do you stop rusting if an iron object is already underwater?

You could wrap it tightly with something like latex or rubber. Some epoxys might cure underwater... perhaps with a UV light.
Pkruse
May2-12, 07:06 AM
P: 490
Go explore the many coatings designed to be applied under water. I only have experience with the epoxies, but there are others.

Register to reply