Galvanization and more reactive block

• Thread starter sgstudent
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Block
In summary: When zinc is attached to iron but iron is exposed too, the zinc will not corrode. However, when zinc is attached to iron and a crack forms, the iron will rust.
sgstudent
When I galvanize iron or attract a more reactive block of metal to iron, that metal will oxidise instead of the iron. I understand that anions need to be present for the reaction to occur as the more reactive metal will have transferred its electrons to iron. So the eg magnesium will oxidise to Mg2+ and react with any anions present. However, when I galvanize an iron bin in the air, and it receives a crack so the iron is exposed too, the iron will not rust. So the zinc layer will transfer electrons to the iron bin, but how can the zinc exist as Zn2+? Since there are no anions in the air? I read a little on galvanising corrosion and it said that if moisture is present then the more reactive metal will corrode, but I thought that this is only true if the moisture has some anions already like in the soil. But in air even if there is moisture there is no anions so how can it rest with the Zn2+ ions? Thanks so much for the help.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
When Zn gets oxidized, oxygen gets reduced to O2- - here is your anion.

Borek said:
When Zn gets oxidized, oxygen gets reduced to O2- - here is your anion.

Do u mean that when the iron just starts to oxidise, the electrons from zinc will enter iron so Fe2O3 gets reduced. Then since water in the air able to transfer the oxide ions, they move to the zinc forming zinc oxide?

Is this the same as the magnesium block underground too, just that there are already some anions like NO3- for it to react with too? So in essence it has a closed circuit?

Thanks for the help!

sgstudent said:
Do u mean that when the iron just starts to oxidise, the electrons from zinc will enter iron so Fe2O3 gets reduced.

Iron will not start to oxidize as long as it is connected to Zn, so there is no need for reduction of Fe2)3 and further transport of O2-.

Then since water in the air able to transfer the oxide ions, they move to the zinc forming zinc oxide?

Water in the air is not able to transfer oxide ions, this is completely off for two reasons. First, ions are transported in water solution, not in the vapor. Second, ionic O2- immediately reacts with water producing OH-. It doesn't happen so easily with oxides like Fe2O3 because they are not entirely ionic.

Borek said:
Iron will not start to oxidize as long as it is connected to Zn, so there is no need for reduction of Fe2)3 and further transport of O2-.
Water in the air is not able to transfer oxide ions, this is completely off for two reasons. First, ions are transported in water solution, not in the vapor. Second, ionic O2- immediately reacts with water producing OH-. It doesn't happen so easily with oxides like Fe2O3 because they are not entirely ionic.

Oh, so when zinc is in contact even if there is a crack on it the iron will not rust. but i thought it does not rust as the electrons will flow into iron like in the sacrificial metal case. What happens when zinc is attached to iron but iron is exposed too? Will electrons flow into the iron working zinc ions? Then when sacrificial metal is used what happens?
Thanks for the help!

Last edited:
galvanization and more reactive block 2

Hi I'm writing this because the other thread died before I got an answer. What happens when I use galvanization and sacrificial protection? I leaned thst electrons flow into the less reactive metal so as to reduce any rust.however, I according to Borek, electronics do not flow into iron. So what happens when using through sacrificial metal and galvanization? Thanks for the help.:)

1. What is galvanization?

Galvanization is the process of coating a metal surface with a layer of zinc to protect it from corrosion. This is done through a process called electroplating, where an electric current is used to deposit the zinc onto the metal surface.

2. Why is galvanization important?

Galvanization is important because it helps protect metal from corrosion, which can weaken and damage the material over time. The zinc coating acts as a barrier, preventing water and oxygen from reaching the metal and causing it to rust.

3. What does it mean for a metal to be more reactive?

A more reactive metal is one that readily gives up electrons in a chemical reaction. This means that it is more likely to undergo chemical reactions and form compounds with other elements. In the context of galvanization, a more reactive block would be one that is more likely to corrode without a protective coating.

4. How does galvanization work to protect a more reactive block?

The zinc coating on a more reactive block acts as a sacrificial anode, meaning that it will corrode in place of the metal it is protecting. This is because zinc is more reactive than most other metals, so it will lose electrons more easily and corrode first. As long as the zinc coating remains intact, the more reactive block will be protected from corrosion.

5. Can galvanization be used on any type of metal?

Galvanization can be used on most types of metals, including iron, steel, copper, and aluminum. However, it is most commonly used on iron and steel because they are more prone to corrosion. The type of metal being galvanized and the conditions it will be exposed to will determine the thickness and type of zinc coating needed for effective protection.