Understanding Rotary Oil Pumps: Filling, Ballast, & Oil Pressure

In summary, the conversation is about the study of pumps and the difficulties in understanding how they work, particularly in relation to filling it with oil and the role of ballast. The utility of ballast is explained as offsetting the rotor from the center of the pump, creating a vacuum and requiring a low vapor pressure oil. The pumps mentioned have a working range of 15-200 Bar and it is assumed that any gas will be absorbed as the oil becomes pressurized.
Myskin
Hi everybody.
I'm studying this kind of pumps right now but I'm finding a few difficulties trying to understand how it works...
First of all i know it needs to be filled with oil, right?but totally or partially filled?
When we start the pump the rotor starts spinning so it starts to evacuate our experimental camera from the gas...this gas cause of the spin of the rotor goes inside the pump...but does it flow THROUGH the oil or what else?
Can someone explain me what's the utility of ballast?
Why does it need a kind of oil with a low vapor pressure?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I have no idea what experimental camera means in relation to the question.
By ballast I assume you mean offset - the rotor is offset from the centre of the pump.

Check this animation of a vane pump. There will be some vacuum crated as the pump pulls oil in. I guess this is why a low vapour pressure is needed.

The pumps I work with can change the offset of the rotor, thus increasing or decreasing the pressure it creates. Working range for mine is 15 - 200 Bar (1.5 - 20 MPa).

The pump works full. I don't know for sure about the gas, but I assume that if any comes out of solution it will quickly be absorbed as the oil becomes pressurised in the pump.

1. How does a rotary oil pump work?

A rotary oil pump works by using a rotating mechanism to create suction and draw oil into the pump. The oil is then pushed out through the pump's outlet, which creates pressure and circulates the oil throughout the engine.

2. What is the purpose of filling a rotary oil pump?

The purpose of filling a rotary oil pump is to ensure that the pump has enough oil to function properly. This is especially important during start-up, as the pump needs to be primed with oil in order to begin circulating it throughout the engine.

3. What is ballasting in a rotary oil pump?

Ballasting is the process of adjusting the amount of oil in a rotary oil pump in order to achieve the desired oil pressure. This is typically done by adding or removing weights from the pump's rotor, which affects the amount of force needed to rotate the pump and therefore the pressure of the oil being circulated.

4. How do you know if a rotary oil pump has the correct oil pressure?

The correct oil pressure for a rotary oil pump can vary depending on the specific engine and manufacturer. However, a general rule of thumb is that the oil pressure should be high enough to provide adequate lubrication to all parts of the engine, but not so high that it causes excess strain on the pump or other components.

5. What are some common problems with rotary oil pumps?

Some common problems with rotary oil pumps include leaks, clogs, and wear on the pump's internal components. Leaks can be caused by damaged seals or gaskets, while clogs can occur from debris or sludge build-up. Wear on internal components can also lead to decreased efficiency and oil pressure over time.