Pulling a vacuum on a heat pump with a recovery machine

In summary, in order to safely debraze a compressor from a heat pump, it is important to recover refrigerant using a recovery machine until the pressure on the compound gauge reaches 10 Hg vacuum. Then, the machine should be turned off and left for 10 minutes to allow any remaining refrigerant to come out of solution or diffuse out of surfaces. This process ensures that all refrigerant and oil is successfully recovered from the heat pump.
fourthindiana
TL;DR Summary
When I am recovering refrigerant from a heat pump with a recovery machine, why do I have to turn off the recovery machine and wait 10 minutes once I reach 10 Hg?
I am a student attending an HVAC program at a trade school. Today I recovered refrigerant out of a heat pump in order to debraze the compressor out of the heat pump. My instructor has taught me how to use a recovery machine to recover refrigerant out of an air-conditioner or heat pump before. My instructor tells me to recover refrigerant out of the heat pump until the pressure on the compound gauge of my gauge manifold reaches 10 Hg. Then I must turn off the recovery machine and wait for 10 min and watch to see if the pressure on my compound gauge goes back up. If the pressure in the heat pump goes back up, there is still refrigerant in the heat pump, and I need to continue recovering refrigerant from the heat pump. If the pressure in the heat pump stays at 10 Hg vacuum for 10 minutes, then there is no more refrigerant in the heat pump, and it is safe to start debrazing the compressor on the heat pump.

When I recovered refrigerant out of the heat pump today, I recovered refrigerant until the pressure on the compound gauge went down to 10 Hg vacuum. Then I started debrazing. At the actual moment when I pulled the refrigerant lines apart from each other, there was an explosion and a giant fireball. Nobody was hurt, but my instructor told me that if I used a more flammable refrigerant, the fireball would have been 3 times bigger and I would have gotten burned. The mistake I made was that after I recovered the refrigerant down to 10 Hg, I forgot to turn the recovery machine off and wait for 10 minutes to see if the pressure went back up.

I ran the recovery machine for about two hours to get down to 10 Hg. I ran the recovery machine for about 15 minutes at 10 Hg.

It seems like turning the recovery machine off and letting the heat pump sit for a few minutes after reaching 10 Hg magically gets refrigerant & oil out of the heat pump that you could not recover out of the heat pump if you tried to recover all the refrigerant & oil out of the heat pump all at once. I asked my instructor about this, and I could not understand his answer. When I recover refrigerant from a heat pump, why do I have to turn the recovery machine off once I get to 10 Hg and wait for several minutes to let the pressure rise again to get all the refrigerant & oil out of the heat pump instead of just recovering the refrigerant all at once by running several minutes longer once I get to 10 Hg?

When one is recovering refrigerant & oil out of a heat pump and the heat pump stays at 10 Hg for an extended period of time and one cannot pull all the refrigerant & oil out of the heat pump, how does turning the recovery machine off for 10 minutes make it so that you one can successfully recover all the refrigerant & oil out of the heat pump when one turns the recovery machine back on?

Engineering news on Phys.org
fourthindiana said:
Summary: When I am recovering refrigerant from a heat pump with a recovery machine, why do I have to turn off the recovery machine and wait 10 minutes once I reach 10 Hg?

how does turning the recovery machine off for 10 minutes make it so that you one can successfully recover all the refrigerant & oil out of the heat pump when one turns the recovery machine back on?
It's not that turning the machine Off for 10 minutes allows more recovery. The pause allows you to see if there is more refrigerant that is slowly coming out of solution in the oil or diffusing out of any rough or micro-porous surfaces.

Oh well, that's how we learn... hopefully without any really bad consequences.

Cheers,
Tom

Likes Dullard, anorlunda, Asymptotic and 1 other person

1. What is the purpose of pulling a vacuum on a heat pump with a recovery machine?

The purpose of pulling a vacuum on a heat pump with a recovery machine is to remove any air or moisture that may be present in the system. This ensures that the heat pump operates efficiently and prevents any potential damage or malfunctions.

2. Can I use any type of recovery machine to pull a vacuum on a heat pump?

No, it is important to use a recovery machine specifically designed for heat pumps. These machines have the necessary features and capabilities to properly pull a vacuum on a heat pump system.

3. How long does it take to pull a vacuum on a heat pump with a recovery machine?

The time it takes to pull a vacuum on a heat pump with a recovery machine can vary depending on the size and complexity of the system. However, it typically takes between 30 minutes to an hour to complete the process.

4. Are there any safety precautions I should take when pulling a vacuum on a heat pump with a recovery machine?

Yes, it is important to wear proper protective gear, such as gloves and safety glasses, when working with a recovery machine. It is also important to follow the manufacturer's instructions and guidelines for safe operation.

5. Can pulling a vacuum on a heat pump with a recovery machine fix a malfunctioning heat pump?

No, pulling a vacuum on a heat pump with a recovery machine is a maintenance procedure and is not intended to fix any malfunctions. If your heat pump is not functioning properly, it is best to consult a professional technician for repairs.