Best fit tablet for me?

by jbmiller
Tags: tablet
jbmiller
May5-12, 08:39 PM
P: 122
Hey everyone,

Recently I've been looking into buying a tablet that would best fit my specifications. I thought this would be the best place to poke around and get more expertise opinions.

Basically I would be using the tablet for various things; notes, homework, writing math/physics equations, etc.

I'm in my freshman year of highschool and I'm doing alot of traveling this summer. I will need a tablet that has a good, responsive touchscreen, and that will allow me to study/self-learn Alg II, Pre-Calc/Calc, Chemistry (mabye), and Physics. I want to be well prepared and rather advanced when I enter my sophomore classes next year.

Not to mention learning Python, C, and Matlab.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
SensaBubble: It's a bubble, but not as we know it (w/ video)
The hemihelix: Scientists discover a new shape using rubber bands (w/ video)
Microbes provide insights into evolution of human language
Hellohi
May6-12, 10:43 AM
P: 36
Hey Mr. Miller, I'd suggest a samsung tablet.
Hellohi
May6-12, 10:45 AM
http://reviews.cnet.com/tablets/

Hellohi
May6-12, 10:45 AM

Best fit tablet for me?

Man chem is so hard!~!!
Infinitum
May6-12, 12:09 PM
P: 836
Anything having android is good, as there are quite a few apps to learn stuff on like wolfram alpha etc. I'd probably go for the ASUS eee pad transformer. Another good option would be the Samsung galaxy 8.9 which has a small screen for better portability.
jreelawg
May6-12, 12:39 PM
P: 450
For learning Algebra and Calc, check out PatrickJMT.com. He makes tons of very helpful math video tutorials, makes learning the material very easy.

I have an ipad and would not recommend it just because it seams to be deliberately made with a lack in functionality so apple can profit more off of Itunes.
jbmiller
May6-12, 01:17 PM
Well I wouldn't need it for apps, I will have all the textbooks I need.

I just need something that will allow me to take notes and do homework on, and something that will save my work. I really like the asus transformer or the samsung tablet because music could also be uploaded on to it. Not to mention it's multi-purpose even beyond what I'm seeking.
jbmiller
May7-12, 09:17 PM
Ok, I think I might go with an Ipad 3. If anyone this this is a bad idea, please comment now.

My main reason for going with the Ipad 3 is because I already have a pretty extensive Itunes account, and thats really the only thing.

My other option would be the Asus eee pad Transformer, so if you thin the Asus would be a better fir with better apps to fit my needs than please let me know so.
Infinitum
May8-12, 05:41 AM
Initially I did have Ipad in mind. Ipad 3 is amazing, but if you are considering value for money, Asus wins. Although, since you have a extensive Itunes account already, I believe going for Ipad would be the better choice.
jbmiller
May8-12, 07:03 AM
Quote Quote by Infinitum View Post
Initially I did have Ipad in mind. Ipad 3 is amazing, but if you are considering value for money, Asus wins. Although, since you have a extensive Itunes account already, I believe going for Ipad would be the better choice.
I'm not all that worried about money, thankfully, my parents are paying for it. And I just read up on the Ipad 3 and it looks to be a beast. They crammed in so much stuff to really push it, and it hardly gained any in a weight aspect. Can't wait for the new retina display. processor, RAM, and overall beauty of it!
Hellohi
May8-12, 07:34 PM
You know whats really awkward. My teacher has the same name as you and hes looking for a tablet.
jbmiller
May8-12, 08:56 PM
Quote Quote by Hellohi View Post
You know whats really awkward. My teacher has the same name as you and hes looking for a tablet.
Haha, which one is he thinking about getting?
jbmiller
May8-12, 10:13 PM
Update**

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboD...20120508200611

Decided to go with this combo package for the Asus Eee Pad Transformer, to everyone who also wants a tablet I would highly recommend snagging this deal from Newegg before it's too late!
Infinitum
May9-12, 04:10 AM
Quote Quote by jbmiller View Post
Update**

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboD...20120508200611

Decided to go with this combo package for the Asus Eee Pad Transformer, to everyone who also wants a tablet I would highly recommend snagging this deal from Newegg before it's too late!
Nice deal! I already have my old Asus and a HP touchpad, or I really would have gone for this one. Enjoy the beast!
jbmiller
May9-12, 07:11 AM
Nice deal! I already have my old Asus and a HP touchpad, or I really would have gone for this one. Enjoy the beast!
HP touchpad? Hmm, never heard of it.

And I will enjoy it!

Thanks everyone for the help!
Infinitum
May9-12, 07:22 AM
Quote Quote by jbmiller View Post
HP touchpad? Hmm, never heard of it.
Its a rather less-known tablet brought in by HP and discontinued soon. The plus is they sold it dirt cheap (100 dollars a piece) but it barely has any support of any sort. Somehow, I got it to dual-boot android along with webOS and it works like a charm
jbmiller
May9-12, 04:29 PM
Its a rather less-known tablet brought in by HP and discontinued soon. The plus is they sold it dirt cheap (100 dollars a piece) but it barely has any support of any sort. Somehow, I got it to dual-boot android along with webOS and it works like a charm
Damn, sounds like a really good deal too me!
Ben Niehoff
May9-12, 04:52 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 1,563
You won't be able to take notes, write equations, or do homework on ANY of the tablets mentioned in this thread.

See this other, very similar thread:

http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=570967

Register to reply