Best fit tablet for me?

by jbmiller
Tags: tablet
Share this thread:
jbmiller
May5-12, 08:39 PM
P: 122
Hey everyone,

Recently I've been looking into buying a tablet that would best fit my specifications. I thought this would be the best place to poke around and get more expertise opinions.

Basically I would be using the tablet for various things; notes, homework, writing math/physics equations, etc.

I'm in my freshman year of highschool and I'm doing alot of traveling this summer. I will need a tablet that has a good, responsive touchscreen, and that will allow me to study/self-learn Alg II, Pre-Calc/Calc, Chemistry (mabye), and Physics. I want to be well prepared and rather advanced when I enter my sophomore classes next year.

Not to mention learning Python, C, and Matlab.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Wildfires and other burns play bigger role in climate change, professor finds
SR Labs research to expose BadUSB next week in Vegas
New study advances 'DNA revolution,' tells butterflies' evolutionary history
Hellohi
May6-12, 10:43 AM
P: 36
Hey Mr. Miller, I'd suggest a samsung tablet.
Hellohi
May6-12, 10:45 AM
http://reviews.cnet.com/tablets/

Hellohi
May6-12, 10:45 AM
Best fit tablet for me?

Man chem is so hard!~!!
Infinitum
May6-12, 12:09 PM
P: 854
Anything having android is good, as there are quite a few apps to learn stuff on like wolfram alpha etc. I'd probably go for the ASUS eee pad transformer. Another good option would be the Samsung galaxy 8.9 which has a small screen for better portability.
jreelawg
May6-12, 12:39 PM
P: 450
For learning Algebra and Calc, check out PatrickJMT.com. He makes tons of very helpful math video tutorials, makes learning the material very easy.

I have an ipad and would not recommend it just because it seams to be deliberately made with a lack in functionality so apple can profit more off of Itunes.
jbmiller
May6-12, 01:17 PM
Well I wouldn't need it for apps, I will have all the textbooks I need.

I just need something that will allow me to take notes and do homework on, and something that will save my work. I really like the asus transformer or the samsung tablet because music could also be uploaded on to it. Not to mention it's multi-purpose even beyond what I'm seeking.
jbmiller
May7-12, 09:17 PM
Ok, I think I might go with an Ipad 3. If anyone this this is a bad idea, please comment now.

My main reason for going with the Ipad 3 is because I already have a pretty extensive Itunes account, and thats really the only thing.

My other option would be the Asus eee pad Transformer, so if you thin the Asus would be a better fir with better apps to fit my needs than please let me know so.
Infinitum
May8-12, 05:41 AM
Initially I did have Ipad in mind. Ipad 3 is amazing, but if you are considering value for money, Asus wins. Although, since you have a extensive Itunes account already, I believe going for Ipad would be the better choice.
jbmiller
May8-12, 07:03 AM
Quote Quote by Infinitum View Post
Initially I did have Ipad in mind. Ipad 3 is amazing, but if you are considering value for money, Asus wins. Although, since you have a extensive Itunes account already, I believe going for Ipad would be the better choice.
I'm not all that worried about money, thankfully, my parents are paying for it. And I just read up on the Ipad 3 and it looks to be a beast. They crammed in so much stuff to really push it, and it hardly gained any in a weight aspect. Can't wait for the new retina display. processor, RAM, and overall beauty of it!
Hellohi
May8-12, 07:34 PM
You know whats really awkward. My teacher has the same name as you and hes looking for a tablet.
jbmiller
May8-12, 08:56 PM
Quote Quote by Hellohi View Post
You know whats really awkward. My teacher has the same name as you and hes looking for a tablet.
Haha, which one is he thinking about getting?
jbmiller
May8-12, 10:13 PM
Update**

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboD...20120508200611

Decided to go with this combo package for the Asus Eee Pad Transformer, to everyone who also wants a tablet I would highly recommend snagging this deal from Newegg before it's too late!
Infinitum
May9-12, 04:10 AM
Quote Quote by jbmiller View Post
Update**

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboD...20120508200611

Decided to go with this combo package for the Asus Eee Pad Transformer, to everyone who also wants a tablet I would highly recommend snagging this deal from Newegg before it's too late!
Nice deal! I already have my old Asus and a HP touchpad, or I really would have gone for this one. Enjoy the beast!
jbmiller
May9-12, 07:11 AM
Nice deal! I already have my old Asus and a HP touchpad, or I really would have gone for this one. Enjoy the beast!
HP touchpad? Hmm, never heard of it.

And I will enjoy it!

Thanks everyone for the help!
Infinitum
May9-12, 07:22 AM
Quote Quote by jbmiller View Post
HP touchpad? Hmm, never heard of it.
Its a rather less-known tablet brought in by HP and discontinued soon. The plus is they sold it dirt cheap (100 dollars a piece) but it barely has any support of any sort. Somehow, I got it to dual-boot android along with webOS and it works like a charm
jbmiller
May9-12, 04:29 PM
Its a rather less-known tablet brought in by HP and discontinued soon. The plus is they sold it dirt cheap (100 dollars a piece) but it barely has any support of any sort. Somehow, I got it to dual-boot android along with webOS and it works like a charm
Damn, sounds like a really good deal too me!
Ben Niehoff
May9-12, 04:52 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 1,588
You won't be able to take notes, write equations, or do homework on ANY of the tablets mentioned in this thread.

See this other, very similar thread:

http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=570967

Register to reply