Preparing for AP Physics: Tips for High School Students

In summary, a high school sophomore is unsure of which academic topic to focus on and is worried about being behind other students who have taken more advanced courses like Calculus and Java. However, experts advise against comparing oneself to others and suggest focusing on mastering algebra, trigonometry, and pre-calculus before moving on to higher level courses. They also recommend utilizing resources like ALEKS to review weak areas and ensure understanding. It is important for students to take their time and not rush into advanced courses without a solid foundation in the basics.
bbcream
i'm not really sure what academic topic to put this in, sorry.

i'm a sophomore in high school right now, and my school only offers physics in junior year. where should i start? I'm taking pre-calc and trig for math right now, and taking chemistry as a science. i took biology last year, and am planning to take AP physics next year. I'm also taking calculus next year.
i've seen other posts on this forum and it seems like there've been a lot like mine, but they're usually high school freshman who've already taken subjects like calculus and java. i... know none of that. I'm getting worried. i feel like I'm behind.
what should i do? where should i start? how should i start? what classes should i take?
thank you in advance if you offer advice!

Physics news on Phys.org
bbcream said:
high school freshman who've already taken subjects like calculus and java. i...
Those people are not, repeat not typical. (At least not in the US.) Don't worry about being "behind" them. If your AP physics course is Physics 1 & 2, which is algebra/trig based, you should do just fine with the math that you're taking this year. AP Physics B & C are calculus based.

I strongly suggest that you talk to the physics teacher at your school if you have any concerns. He/she knows best what the students in his/her courses should know in order to do well in them.

Likes bbcream
In any situation, I don't think its wise to compare yourself to other students. A personal example for me is when I took my last chemistry course. I was banging my head against the wall trying to understand organic chemistry and seeing this one guy do it with ease made me feel even worse. I found out after talking with him that he failed once and was retaking the course.

Everyone is different for different reasons and making comparisons is unnecessary and counterproductive. This applies to what classes someone else is in as well, not just their performance in a particular class.

One of my professors dropped out of high school and screwed around for awhile before going to college and having to start off on academic probation. On the flip side there's some 15 year old kid at my university. Focus on yourself and youll be in a better state of mind.

Likes bbcream
bbcream said:
they're usually high school freshman who've already taken subjects like calculus and java.

It's very easy to get discouraged on Physics Forums because the students here are at all different levels. It's not uncommon for me to see posts from high school students that are studying a more advanced topic than what I've encountered (as a grad student). You do what you can, with what you have.

Likes bbcream
thank you to everyone who replied! I'm just... really anxious right now.

It's better to really know and retain mastery in algebra, trig, and precalc than to complete calculus in high school.

I've known too many students with calculus on their high school transcripts who failed out of college completely (or could not succeed in STEM majors) because they never sufficiently mastered Algebra 1. I don't know of any who struggled in college because they did not complete calculus in high school.

After you complete your precalc course, (if you can) sign up for ALEKS precalculus and work until you've completed 95% of the precalc "pie." This will review weak areas, cover any areas your high school course missed, and ensure excellent understanding. It will also really help on the math portion of the ACT if you take it.

Since you're only in 10th now if you knock out precalc and review in ALEKS over the summer, you have two more years of high school to take calc and physics.

Stop stressing.

Likes bbcream, Dr.D and jtbell
I didn't understand why my high school discouraged taking courses more advanced than my year level. Students need time to digest the material, both for advancement and for choosing their pathways. Wish I learned that before I got my degrees.

1. What is AP Physics and why should I take it?

AP Physics is an advanced placement course offered in high schools that covers the fundamentals of physics at a college level. Taking AP Physics can demonstrate to colleges that you are capable of handling challenging coursework and can potentially earn you college credit, saving you time and money in the long run.

2. How should I prepare for AP Physics?

To prepare for AP Physics, it is important to have a strong foundation in algebra and trigonometry, as these concepts are heavily used in physics. You can also review basic physics concepts and equations before the course begins. Additionally, practicing critical thinking and problem-solving skills will be beneficial for success in the course.

3. What study resources are available for AP Physics?

There are many resources available for studying AP Physics, including review books, online practice tests and quizzes, and study groups with classmates. Your teacher may also provide study materials and review sessions. It is important to use a variety of resources and find what works best for you.

4. Is it necessary to have a calculator for AP Physics?

Having a calculator for AP Physics is highly recommended. You will be using it to solve complex equations and having a graphing calculator can be especially helpful. However, make sure to check with your teacher about which type of calculator is allowed for exams.

5. How can I succeed in AP Physics?

To succeed in AP Physics, it is important to attend class regularly, participate in discussions, and ask questions when you don't understand something. It is also crucial to stay organized and manage your time effectively, as AP Physics requires a lot of practice and problem-solving. Don't be afraid to seek help from your teacher or classmates if you are struggling with a concept.