Article about an application of instrumentation I am helping build

In summary, the conversation revolved around the advancements in oceanographic research equipment and the speaker's experience with such equipment. The topic of tides in lakes was also briefly discussed. The conversation concluded with praise for the team responsible for the new sensors used in Lake Superior.
Integral
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
This device
was sitting outside my work area 2 weeks ago.
I am enjoying working on devices which are at the forefront of oceanographic research.

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Since no one else will say it

Thank you for the interesting article. Equipment has improved since I did this stuff in the mid 1970s.

One question, are the Lakes big enough for tides? If so what are they like?

Note that I work in Oregon building the instrumentation. I spend some time near lake Michigan in 1970, don't recall any significant tides.

Integral, thanks for sharing that new instrumentation with us. I spent >25 years pinging with low, mid-range, and ultrasonic frequencies in the world’s oceans designing, testing, and operating sonar systems.

The more details we knew about ocean conditions, the better we could perform. No doubt scientific knowledge in many areas will be advanced with these new sensors below the surface of Lake Superior, and, all automatically! Everyone gains when new actual data becomes available. You and your team deserve “kudos” for a job well done.

I am always excited to see new advancements in instrumentation that can aid in our understanding of the world around us. The device mentioned in the article is a great example of this, as it has the potential to greatly enhance oceanographic research.

The fact that it was sitting outside your work area just two weeks ago is a testament to the fast-paced nature of scientific research and development. It is exciting to think about the potential impact this device could have on our understanding of the ocean and its many complex processes.

I am curious to learn more about the specific capabilities and features of this device. Is it designed for a specific type of data collection, such as measuring water temperature or salinity? Or does it have a more broad range of functions?

Regardless, I am sure that this device will be a valuable tool for oceanographers and researchers, and I look forward to seeing the results it produces. Thank you for sharing this exciting update on your work.

1. What is the purpose of the instrumentation application you are helping build?

The purpose of the instrumentation application is to gather and analyze data from various instruments in order to monitor and control a specific process or system.

2. What type of instruments does the application support?

The application is designed to support a wide range of instruments including sensors, probes, meters, and other devices that measure physical quantities such as temperature, pressure, flow, and more.

3. How does the instrumentation application collect and store data?

The application uses a variety of methods to collect and store data, including direct communication with the instruments, data logging, and data streaming. The data is stored in a database for easy access and analysis.

4. Can the instrumentation application be customized for specific needs?

Yes, the application is highly customizable and can be tailored to meet the specific needs and requirements of different industries and applications. It also allows for easy integration with existing systems and processes.

5. What are the main benefits of using this instrumentation application?

Some of the main benefits of using this instrumentation application include real-time monitoring and control, improved accuracy and efficiency, data analysis and visualization, and the ability to identify and troubleshoot issues quickly, leading to cost savings and improved performance.