Recommendations on research topic for string theory (M-theory)

Tryti
TL;DR Summary: Currently applying for a scholarship for a PhD, and I feel like I need some help finding interesting research propositions/questions when it comes to M-theory. I would be thankful for all the help I could get!

I'm currently attending a masters program in theoretical physics and as stated in the summary I'm writing an application for a scholarship to do a
PhD. In my application I have to write about a topic which I would like to pursue as a PhD candidate and I would like to work with M-theory. The roadblock I'm stuck at is how to find good research propositions/questions, as I have no idea about the problems at the forefront of M-theory. I feel like a fish out of water. I would appreciate it if anyone with an understanding of the subject could help me in any way!

Physics news on Phys.org
Tryti said:
I would like to work with M-theory. The roadblock I'm stuck at is how to find good research propositions/questions
That is not a good thing. If you have no questions about a topic, why do you want to pick that one to work on? This sounds like a good reason to pick something that piques your curiosity instead.

Likes Orodruin, berkeman and seikorbnsn
Vanadium 50 said:
That is not a good thing. If you have no questions about a topic, why do you want to pick that one to work on? This sounds like a good reason to pick something that piques your curiosity instead.
Thank you for answering! :)

I have many, many questions, and after reading textbooks and such I can with certainty say that this is something which really piques my interest! I don't, however, feel like I know enough to pose a great research question for a PhD. Maybe I have misunderstood what a research question should look like.

From my understanding it should be a very specific question, for example " Researching the effect of a dark U'(1) gauge symmetry as a mediator between the SM and different DM models". If this is incorrect then I would appreciate it if anyone could give me a good definition of a PhD research question and what it should entail!

I am very fond of mathematics and from what I have read, a lot of mathematics would have to be invented or applied to achieve a well-formulated string theory, and it is in this direction I would like to pose the question. I just don't know enough to find a good and relevant question. I could easily come up with on, but it would be, in my opinion, too vague.

I'm not in a position to advise anyone on the details string theory, but it would seem that the first step should be identifying a supervisor or mentor for the project who can help you with this. It's not uncommon for potential PhD candidates to approach potential supervisors with questions like this, and often professors will have ideas for projects already in hand. (You'll still have to write it up of course.)