5G and future 6G terahertz absorbed by water vapour = heating?

In summary, the article discusses how THz waves have been used to achieve data rates greater than 100 Gbps, but share an Achilles' Heel in that they are absorbed by water vapor in Earth's atmosphere.
ideatank17
TL;DR Summary
Will 5G and future 6G cause further atmospheric heating since the terahertz bandwidth is absorbable by water vapour, but does absorb equate to transfer electromagentic microwave inrfrared fequencies and heat it?
I just found this piece in an article:
Terahertz waves (THz), which are submillimeter waves sitting between microwave and infrared light on the electromagnetic spectrum, have been used to achieve data rates greater than 100 Gbps. Unfortunately, THz waves share an Achilles’ Heel with the millimeter waves used in 5G. Water vapor in Earth’s atmosphere is a strong absorber of terahertz radiation, limiting the range of THz applications.
From this source: https://www.popularmechanics.com/space/satellites/a34739258/china-launches-first-6g-satellite/
Ive never been a fan of popular mechanics but that's my personal view. That aside, is this not a threat to warming atmospheres since we are already seeing ever increasing temperatures. Just curious, i could be way off. I only have a BSc in Physics, mainly theoretical and am now doing an MSc in sustainability. So the crossover here is intriguing to me. Any input appreciated. Thanks

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
The THz wave energy absorption does warm the atmosphere, but the magnitude of that warming is infinitesimal compared with the warming due to CO2 emissions and the greenhouse effect.

Likes ideatank17
All the energy use by cell phones already ends up heating the atmosphere. This is independent of how many G's we are talking about - 5,6,10.

Indeed, all the energy produced by humans ends up heating the atmosphere. That's 6 x 1020 joules, or about 120 J per kg of atmosphere per year. Solar heating of the atmosphere is many millions of times larger.

Likes Fredbonyea, ideatank17, russ_watters and 1 other person
ideatank17 said:
That aside, is this not a threat to warming atmospheres since we are already seeing ever increasing temperatures.
It's not the 6G that'll get you, it's the power plant powering it.

Sorry, but the rest of this is going to sting a bit:
I only have a BSc in Physics...
Frankly, that's pretty disappointing.
...mainly theoretical and am now doing an MSc in sustainability.
That's really disappointing.

You really need to put some thought/effort into incorporating into your entire worldview, what the concept of conservation of energy means. Someone with your education level should be able to apply it better.

Last edited:
Likes sophiecentaur, davenn, hutchphd and 2 others
Thank you for your replies guys, all very informative

I think that, for an ordinary mobile phone, much of the radiation will make it into space, as atmospheric absorption is low up to 20GHz or so (depending on rainfall). The atmospheric absorption at THz frequencies is no doubt useful as it limits the coverage of base stations and allows the frequencies to be re-used at closer distances.

This thread has not one reliable reference, not one. All claims are just wild speculations. Moreover, the question has been sufficiently answered by
Vanadium 50 said:
Indeed, all the energy produced by humans ends up heating the atmosphere.
and
russ_watters said:
It's not the 6G that'll get you, it's the power plant powering it.

Everything else needs hard data first, and some likely easy calculations next.

This thread is closed.

1. How does 5G and future 6G terahertz affect water vapour?

5G and future 6G terahertz radiation can be absorbed by water vapour molecules, causing them to vibrate and heat up. This heating effect can potentially impact the overall temperature and humidity of the surrounding environment.

2. Is the heating caused by 5G and future 6G terahertz radiation harmful?

The heating caused by 5G and future 6G terahertz radiation is not considered harmful to humans. The amount of radiation absorbed by water vapour is very small and does not pose a significant health risk. However, more research is needed to fully understand the potential effects on the environment.

3. Can 5G and future 6G terahertz radiation cause water vapour to evaporate faster?

No, 5G and future 6G terahertz radiation does not have the ability to directly cause water vapour to evaporate faster. The heating effect may contribute to increased evaporation, but other factors such as temperature and air pressure have a larger impact.

4. Will 5G and future 6G terahertz radiation affect weather patterns?

There is currently no evidence to suggest that 5G and future 6G terahertz radiation will significantly impact weather patterns. The heating effect on water vapour is minimal and unlikely to have a significant influence on larger weather systems.

5. How can 5G and future 6G terahertz radiation be managed to minimize potential impacts on water vapour?

To minimize potential impacts on water vapour, regulatory bodies and telecommunication companies can work together to ensure that 5G and future 6G terahertz radiation levels are within safe limits. Additionally, further research can be conducted to better understand the effects of this radiation on the environment.

Back