Register to reply

Is <p>_c = -<p>?

by qinglong.1397
Tags: <p>, <p>c
Share this thread:
qinglong.1397
Oct31-12, 08:39 PM
P: 107
I calculated the expectation value of the momentum of the charge-conjugated Dirac spinor and found that it was the negative of that of the Dirac spinor. Here is the calculation.

Charge conjugation operator is chosen to be [itex]C=i\gamma^0\gamma^2[/itex]. The spinor is [itex]\Psi[/itex] and its charge-conjugated spinor [itex]\Psi_C=-i\gamma^2\Psi^*[/itex].

The expectation value of the momentum of [itex]\Psi_C=-i\gamma^2\Psi^*[/itex] is given by

[itex]<\vec p>_C=\int d^3x\bar\Psi_C\vec p\Psi_C=\int d^3x\Psi^T\gamma^0\gamma^2\vec p\gamma^2\Psi^*=-[\int d^3x\bar\Psi\vec p^*\Psi]^*[/itex]
[itex]=[\int d^3x\bar\Psi\vec p\Psi]^*=<\vec p>^*=<\vec p>[/itex]

where [itex]<\vec p>[/itex] is real.

Is there anything wrong with my calculation, because my teacher didn't give me the grade for this?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
IHEP in China has ambitions for Higgs factory
The physics of lead guitar playing
The birth of topological spintronics
qinglong.1397
Nov7-12, 10:18 AM
I guess my calculation is correct since nobody replies...
Bill_K
Nov7-12, 12:10 PM
Sci Advisor
Thanks
P: 4,160
It's hard to tell from what you have written. Did you remember that p acts to the right, and when you switch it from acting on one ψ to the other, you have to integrate by parts?

qinglong.1397
Nov7-12, 12:21 PM
Is <p>_c = -<p>?

Quote Quote by Bill_K View Post
It's hard to tell from what you have written. Did you remember that p acts to the right, and when you switch it from acting on one ψ to the other, you have to integrate by parts?
I did use integration by parts.
Dickfore
Nov7-12, 12:25 PM
P: 3,014
What does [itex]\Psi^{\ast}[/itex] represent?
Bill_K
Nov7-12, 12:34 PM
Sci Advisor
Thanks
P: 4,160
I did use integration by parts.
I'm just thinking that jμ does change sign while pμ does not, and the only difference between them is the derivative operator.
qinglong.1397
Nov7-12, 05:00 PM
Quote Quote by Bill_K View Post
I'm just thinking that jμ does change sign while pμ does not, and the only difference between them is the derivative operator.
By [itex]j_\mu[/itex], do you mean electric current?

Actually, I found out that [itex]<\vec r>_C=-<\vec r>[/itex] and my teacher also got this.
cosmic dust
Nov8-12, 09:23 AM
P: 123
I think there is a mistake in your calculation. If [itex] {{\Psi }_{C}}=-i{{\gamma }^{2}}{{\Psi }^{*}} [/itex] then [itex] \Psi _{C}^{\dagger }=i{{\Psi }^{T}}{{\gamma }^{2}}^{\dagger }=-i{{\Psi }^{T}}{{\gamma }^{2}} [/itex] since [itex] {{\gamma }^{2}}^{\dagger }=-{{\gamma }^{2}}
[/itex]. Then:
[itex] \begin{align}
& {{\left\langle \mathbf{p} \right\rangle }_{C}}=\int{{{d}^{3}}\mathbf{x}\Psi _{C}^{\dagger }\mathbf{p}{{\Psi }_{C}}}=\int{{{d}^{3}}\mathbf{x}\left( -i{{\Psi }^{T}}{{\gamma }^{2}} \right)\mathbf{p}\left( -i{{\gamma }^{2}}{{\Psi }^{*}} \right)}=-\int{{{d}^{3}}\mathbf{x}{{\Psi }^{T}}{{\gamma }^{2}}\mathbf{p}{{\gamma }^{2}}{{\Psi }^{*}}}= \\
& \quad \quad =-\int{{{d}^{3}}\mathbf{x}{{\Psi }^{T}}\mathbf{p}{{\gamma }^{2}}{{\gamma }^{2}}{{\Psi }^{*}}}=\int{{{d}^{3}}\mathbf{x}{{\Psi }^{T}}\mathbf{p}{{\Psi }^{*}}} \\
\end{align} [/itex]
since [itex]{{\gamma }^{2}}{{\gamma }^{2}}=-{{I}_{4}}[/itex] . Continuing the calculation we get:

[itex]{{\left\langle \mathbf{p} \right\rangle }_{C}}=\int{{{d}^{3}}\mathbf{x}{{\Psi }^{T}}\mathbf{p}{{\Psi }^{*}}}={{\left( \int{{{d}^{3}}\mathbf{x}{{\Psi }^{\dagger }}\mathbf{p}\Psi } \right)}^{*}}={{\left\langle \mathbf{p} \right\rangle }^{*}}=\left\langle \mathbf{p} \right\rangle[/itex]

since [itex]\left\langle \mathbf{p} \right\rangle[/itex] is real.
qinglong.1397
Nov8-12, 09:29 AM
Quote Quote by cosmic dust View Post
I think there is a mistake in your calculation. If [itex] {{\Psi }_{C}}=-i{{\gamma }^{2}}{{\Psi }^{*}} [/itex] then [itex] \Psi _{C}^{\dagger }=i{{\Psi }^{T}}{{\gamma }^{2}}^{\dagger }=-i{{\Psi }^{T}}{{\gamma }^{2}} [/itex] since [itex] {{\gamma }^{2}}^{\dagger }=-{{\gamma }^{2}}
[/itex]. Then:
[itex] \begin{align}
& {{\left\langle \mathbf{p} \right\rangle }_{C}}=\int{{{d}^{3}}\mathbf{x}\Psi _{C}^{\dagger }\mathbf{p}{{\Psi }_{C}}}=\int{{{d}^{3}}\mathbf{x}\left( -i{{\Psi }^{T}}{{\gamma }^{2}} \right)\mathbf{p}\left( -i{{\gamma }^{2}}{{\Psi }^{*}} \right)}=-\int{{{d}^{3}}\mathbf{x}{{\Psi }^{T}}{{\gamma }^{2}}\mathbf{p}{{\gamma }^{2}}{{\Psi }^{*}}}= \\
& \quad \quad =-\int{{{d}^{3}}\mathbf{x}{{\Psi }^{T}}\mathbf{p}{{\gamma }^{2}}{{\gamma }^{2}}{{\Psi }^{*}}}=\int{{{d}^{3}}\mathbf{x}{{\Psi }^{T}}\mathbf{p}{{\Psi }^{*}}} \\
\end{align} [/itex]
since [itex]{{\gamma }^{2}}{{\gamma }^{2}}=-{{I}_{4}}[/itex] . Continuing the calculation we get:

[itex]{{\left\langle \mathbf{p} \right\rangle }_{C}}=\int{{{d}^{3}}\mathbf{x}{{\Psi }^{T}}\mathbf{p}{{\Psi }^{*}}}={{\left( \int{{{d}^{3}}\mathbf{x}{{\Psi }^{\dagger }}\mathbf{p}\Psi } \right)}^{*}}={{\left\langle \mathbf{p} \right\rangle }^{*}}=\left\langle \mathbf{p} \right\rangle[/itex]

since [itex]\left\langle \mathbf{p} \right\rangle[/itex] is real.
Thanks for your reply! Although our results are the same, I still want to point out that you should've used [itex]\bar\Psi_C[/itex] instead of [itex]\Psi^\dagger_C[/itex], otherwise your [itex]<\vec p>_C[/itex] isn't Lorentz covariant.
cosmic dust
Nov8-12, 10:22 AM
P: 123
Of course, my mistake... Let's take a look at this: [itex]\bar{\Psi } [/itex] is defined by [itex]\bar{\Psi }={{\Psi }^{\dagger }}{{\gamma }^{0}}[/itex] and so [itex]\overset{\_\_}{\mathop{\left( {{\Psi }_{C}} \right)}}\, [/itex] will be:
[itex]\overset{\_\_\_}{\mathop{\left( {{\Psi }_{C}} \right)}}\,={{\left( -i{{\gamma }^{2}}{{\Psi }^{*}} \right)}^{\dagger }}{{\gamma }^{0}}=-i{{\Psi }^{T}}{{\gamma }^{2}}{{\gamma }^{0}}=-i{{\Psi }^{T}}{{\gamma }^{0}}{{\gamma }^{0}}{{\gamma }^{2}}{{\gamma }^{0}}=-i{{\left( {{\Psi }^{\dagger }}{{\gamma }^{0}} \right)}^{*}}{{\gamma }^{2}}^{\dagger }=-i{{\bar{\Psi }}^{*}}{{\gamma }^{2}}^{\dagger }[/itex]
Then the integrand of [itex]{{\left\langle \mathbf{p} \right\rangle }_{C}}[/itex] will be:

[itex]\overset{\_\_\_}{\mathop{\left( {{\Psi }_{C}} \right)}}\,\mathbf{p}{{\Psi }_{C}}=-{{\bar{\Psi }}^{*}}{{\gamma }^{2}}^{\dagger }\mathbf{p}{{\gamma }^{2}}{{\Psi }^{*}}=-{{\bar{\Psi }}^{*}}\mathbf{p}{{\Psi }^{*}}=-{{\left( \bar{\Psi }{{\mathbf{p}}^{*}}\Psi \right)}^{*}}={{\left( \bar{\Psi }\mathbf{p}\Psi \right)}^{*}} [/itex]

and so we will get the same mean value. Is this OK ?
qinglong.1397
Nov8-12, 12:30 PM
Quote Quote by cosmic dust View Post
Of course, my mistake... Let's take a look at this: [itex]\bar{\Psi } [/itex] is defined by [itex]\bar{\Psi }={{\Psi }^{\dagger }}{{\gamma }^{0}}[/itex] and so [itex]\overset{\_\_}{\mathop{\left( {{\Psi }_{C}} \right)}}\, [/itex] will be:
[itex]\overset{\_\_\_}{\mathop{\left( {{\Psi }_{C}} \right)}}\,={{\left( -i{{\gamma }^{2}}{{\Psi }^{*}} \right)}^{\dagger }}{{\gamma }^{0}}=-i{{\Psi }^{T}}{{\gamma }^{2}}{{\gamma }^{0}}=-i{{\Psi }^{T}}{{\gamma }^{0}}{{\gamma }^{0}}{{\gamma }^{2}}{{\gamma }^{0}}=-i{{\left( {{\Psi }^{\dagger }}{{\gamma }^{0}} \right)}^{*}}{{\gamma }^{2}}^{\dagger }=-i{{\bar{\Psi }}^{*}}{{\gamma }^{2}}^{\dagger }[/itex]
Then the integrand of [itex]{{\left\langle \mathbf{p} \right\rangle }_{C}}[/itex] will be:

[itex]\overset{\_\_\_}{\mathop{\left( {{\Psi }_{C}} \right)}}\,\mathbf{p}{{\Psi }_{C}}=-{{\bar{\Psi }}^{*}}{{\gamma }^{2}}^{\dagger }\mathbf{p}{{\gamma }^{2}}{{\Psi }^{*}}=-{{\bar{\Psi }}^{*}}\mathbf{p}{{\Psi }^{*}}=-{{\left( \bar{\Psi }{{\mathbf{p}}^{*}}\Psi \right)}^{*}}={{\left( \bar{\Psi }\mathbf{p}\Psi \right)}^{*}} [/itex]

and so we will get the same mean value. Is this OK ?
Good! I can now discuss it with my teacher. Thanks!

Register to reply